Fogstar drift batteries

So we are all getting 300ah foggy drifts then! Well I think I am. 😁

Yeah I was going for the Eco 305ah Barry but for a couple of hundred quid more I might as well have the better battery with heater and Bluetooth and all that malarkey.
What with solar panels, 2 x MPPT's, DC - DC charger and an inverter it's coming to a pretty penny - and that's without all the cables, switches, monitors etc!

Yeah I was going for the Eco 305ah Barry but for a couple of hundred quid more I might as well have the better battery with heater and Bluetooth and all that malarkey.
What with solar panels, 2 x MPPT's, DC - DC charger and an inverter it's coming to a pretty penny - and that's without all the cables, switches, monitors etc!
Yep. It all adds up. Even more so when you are paying someone to do all the work. Worth every penny to me though. We are managing for now but I'm sick of having to be careful with power.

I have also jumped on the bandwagon, and pre-ordered a 460Ah one, just need to plan the rest of the stuff (B2B, AC charger, Inverter)...

I'm going with the Victron Orion XS DC - DC

2 x Victron 100/50 MPPT's

Fogstar AC charger

2 x 425W Solar Panels

Haven't decided on an inverter yet, but open to recommendations.

Reactions: smb
Good choice on the Orion, its very small compared to Sterling ones...
I may go for the Victron AC charger (A bit more expensive than the fogstar one)

There are so many inverters at very cheap to very expensive. I think the Renogy ones seem to have a good reputation?

Good choice on the Orion, its very small compared to Sterling ones...
I may go for the Victron AC charger (A bit more expensive than the fogstar one)

There are so many inverters at very cheap to very expensive. I think the Renogy ones seem to have a good reputation?

I might have a look at the Victron Charger actually - might as well keep it all blue!

That's a hell of a lot of boxes all bluetoothing at me though - I only want to know 'ow long will the battery last really! :LOL:

I went for a Renogy 3Kw inverter.

May well be the Victron ones are way better, but the difference in £'s is massive, so I'll see how It goes.

Don't underestimate the heat all this stuff gives off, allow for plenty of ventilation.

Edit to add, If I remember correctly, you are talking something like £280 v £800+

I might have a look at the Victron Charger actually - might as well keep it all blue!

That's a hell of a lot of boxes all bluetoothing at me though - I only want to know 'ow long will the battery last really! :LOL:
If you look on eBay they do the Victron 30 amp AC charger for £129.00, I've ordered the 3 outlet one for £139.00, I've gone for Victron as I've been told they are very quiet in operation.

May well be the Victron ones are way better, but the difference in £'s is massive, so I'll see how It goes.

Don't underestimate the heat all this stuff gives off, allow for plenty of ventilation.

Edit to add, If I remember correctly, you are talking something like £280 v £800+
I've already got the Renolgy 2000 watt inverter fitted. Had it about a year now and very happy with it.

I read about the heat the DC-DC Victrons give off Mark, that's why I went for the Orion XS which apparently isn't anywhere near as hot as the previous models but I might still put a fan in there as well.

I'm going with the Victron Orion XS DC - DC

2 x Victron 100/50 MPPT's

Fogstar AC charger

2 x 425W Solar Panels

Haven't decided on an inverter yet, but open to recommendations.
850w of Solar! Not fair! 😭

850w of Solar! Not fair! 😭

I've got to get the bloody things up there yet Barry!

I've learnt loads in the last couple of weeks but I still wouldn't dare install it without supervision. The information is all out there but stringing it all together without making a mistake is another thing which could be very costly!

I've got to get the bloody things up there yet Barry!

I've learnt loads in the last couple of weeks but I still wouldn't dare install it without supervision. The information is all out there but stringing it all together without making a mistake is another thing which could be very costly!

We will all be lithium solar experts by Christmas! I'm still not picking up a drill though or climbing on the roof. Ever. 😁

We will all be lithium solar experts by Christmas! I'm still not picking up a drill though or climbing on the roof. Ever. 😁

Plan is I'll get the panels fixed on the roof and the cables inside, then mount all of the boxes on a board and wire them up so the board can just be bolted into the cabinet and connected to the MPPT's and the battery once it's been checked by my mentor!

Much easier to do outside the van, no crouching down under the seat trying to get cables connected!

Fogstar Bluetooth display, my battery actually tops out at around 317.5ah. Being a geek I like to monitor solar input, charging input etc so the victron stuff is ideal, beats train-spotting. Using the Orion 30a Bluetooth screen I was able to see that the amps were throttled down to 25a when it was hot. I've contacted the dealership that fitted the Orion complaining about the heat and throttling issues and asked if it's possible to pay the extra difference and exchange it for the 50a Orion. They asked for the serial number and I'm waiting for them to get back to me 🤞

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-08-13-08-47-23-03_05a74d9966b240494e50377ddba57a55.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-08-13-08-47-23-03_05a74d9966b240494e50377ddba57a55.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 28
Fogstar Bluetooth display, my battery actually tops out at around 317.5ah. Being a geek I like to monitor solar input, charging input etc so the victron stuff is ideal, beats train-spotting. Using the Orion 30a Bluetooth screen I was able to see that the amps were throttled down to 25a when it was hot. I've contacted the dealership that fitted the Orion complaining about the heat and throttling issues and asked if it's possible to pay the extra difference and exchange it for the 50a Orion. They asked for the serial number and I'm waiting for them to get back to me 🤞

I must admit it's all getting a bit addictive.

And at least I'll be able to impress (bore) my mates in the pub and pretend I know what I'm talking about.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back