External fitting - Chinese diesel night heater.

I would mount it inside maybe under a seat or the bottom of a wardrobe, they suck the air in at the back, heat it and blow it out the front, mine blew straight into the living area but some use the ducting.
I would mount it inside like this because it’s going to be recirculating the air, warming up warm air so to speak
Mounting it outside it will be sucking in cold to freezing air which will make it work really hard.
the noise isn’t that bad especially if mounted in a cupboard.
A common technique with the Eberspacher Airtronics was to mount under the drivers seat, but EXTERNALLY.
The hot air outlet would be routed in the space between the front seats. The fresh air intake would not be left to just use air from outside but routed to the driver door step, so nicely out the way but recycling internal air for efficiency.

Hello all and Happy New year to you all!
I have decided to.purchase the above soon in the hope that we may eventually be able to do some wilding during the winter months.
For reasons of space, noise and extra safety I have decided to fit this externally to out 2011 Transit van ( currently under conversion). However looking at the various external metal mounting boxes available the prices seem prohibitive, most being more than the heater unit itself. So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experience of making this box from wood? My first thoughts would be safety dye to heat from the unit.
Any thoughts, ideas, or experience would be gratefully received.
Thank you.
Coli .🙂
For a cheap and cheerful safe option buy an extra large metal tool box and Mount that .... good luck

Hello and thank you all for your input.
I had not thought about the very good point of bringing in cold air from outside to have to heat up and so mounting inside the vehicle makes a lot of sense.

I'm going to have a look at possibly doing away with some storage area behind the rear wheel arch and mounting it there.

Need to do some more measuring, to see if this is possible. 🤞

Thanks again all.

Colin. 🙂👍

On the daughters old ducato that had a gas underslung air blower, took it off and the metal shield was galvanised very thin metal. What about a washing machin outer casing or fridge and repaint.?
The one I took of was not air tight, as it had tbe hot air outlet pipe faceing the near side rear wheel , we put extra insulation on befor it went through the van floor.
I took it off as electrical fault on the 20 years old plug. There are pictures of the strip down on here that I posted.

Hello and thank you all for your input. I had not thought about the very good point of bringing in cold air from outside to have to heat up and so mounting inside the vehicle makes a lot of sense. Colin. 🙂👍
I seem to remember that some heaters have a twin exhaust / inlet one inside the other where the inlet air is drawn in thru the out side of a twin pipe so as cooling the exhaust and and warming the air taken in might help to enable fitting outside if you kept your 2 together inside a larger piece

Has your transit already got twin batteries under the drivers seat....

IF not it should be, possible to fit leisure battery there as its what Ford do whe n the twin battery system is fitted.

IMG_4547.jpg

Drawing raw air for cabin heater from outside is a bad idea as not only are you increasing the heaters work load/restricting the heaters ability to actually maintain a set temperature environment but also bringing in potentially damp air too.

I seem to remember that some heaters have a twin exhaust / inlet one inside the other where the inlet air is drawn in thru the out side of a twin pipe so as cooling the exhaust and and warming the air taken in might help to enable fitting outside if you kept your 2 together inside a larger piece
I dont think its a case of avoiding bringing in cold air from outside the van because its cold,its more dont bring air from outside because on some days that air will be loaded with moisture and in effect this would turn the van into a giant dehumidifier with all that moisture looking for somewhere in the van to condensate,I must say also that I may be talking nonesense as ive never read anywhere that this could happen,it just seems to make sense to me.I do run a chinese heater and I think there brilliant.

I dont think its a case of avoiding bringing in cold air from outside the van because its cold,its more dont bring air from outside because on some days that air will be loaded with moisture and in effect this would turn the van into a giant dehumidifier with all that moisture looking for somewhere in the van to condensate,I must say also that I may be talking nonesense as ive never read anywhere that this could happen,it just seems to make sense to me.I do run a chinese heater and I think there brilliant.

Bringing ambient air from outside with a eberspacher heater is akin to having your central heating on in your house with your windows open....

Pointless waste of fuel....

Parking heaters are designed to recirculate cabin air so they are only heating the space they are designed for NOT the whole of the world.

Bringing ambient air from outside with a eberspacher heater is akin to having your central heating on in your house with your windows open....

Pointless waste of fuel....

Parking heaters are designed to recirculate cabin air so they are only heating the space they are designed for NOT the whole of the world.
On some days,say foggy ones for instance when the air is loaded with moisture it doesnt make sense to me to heat that air up costantely and pump it into the van as it will seek out cooler nooks and crannies to turn back into water.Much better to recirculate warm dry air.

On some days,say foggy ones for instance when the air is loaded with moisture it doesnt make sense to me to heat that air up costantely and pump it into the van as it will seek out cooler nooks and crannies to turn back into water.Much better to recirculate warm dry air.

Exactly my point....

Bringing RAW air in from outside is a massive massive folly both efficiency wise AND from a humidity point of view.

Hello again all.
Once again, thank you all for your ideas and thoughts. I already have two batteries under my driver's seat, and my leisure battery is under the passenger seat, so that option is out.
After reading all of your advice, in particular that regarding bringing cold/damp air inside (something that I hadn't even thought of, but makes massive sense) I've decided to do away with some of the storage space behind the rear wheel arch and mount the unit inside.
There's no rush at all as probably won't be able to go anywhere this winter, and probably be too hot to use a heater by the time were out of lockdown 🤣🤣.
Thanks again for the ideas and advice.

Colin 🙂👍

The one we had on the boat was mounted in the locker with a hole in the back for the end of the silencer pipe. Air pickup was from high up in the cabin so the warmer it got the warmer the air going into the heater. This also helped to circulate the air. Mounting a unit under the van could lead to all sorts of problems with maintenance and damp. Our bikes got very rusty sitting on the back under a cover. Boat locker was different as it was effectively inside although outside. It certainly needs to be somewhere accessible because they always pack up just when you need them. Good silencer system and keep the little pump out of the way. Ours used to make a right racket on a quiet night out on the water. Sounded like a demented woodpecker sometimes.

on my Ford Transit van, there is no space in the box under the passenger seat, so the night heater is mounted under the Van with just a splash guard to protect it.
The new location is just below the passenger seat area, and the inlet comes from inside the van, in this case its in the step of the passenger door, which is close to the same level the heater sits.

So it is possible to have the heater outside assuming its waterproof, and still draw internal air into the inlet of the heater

I think You are talking about the air used for heating where as I'm referring to the combustion air which is drawn into the heater burnt then goes out the exhaust

Hi Guys, can any one tell me subjectively just now noisy these units are at tickover and full chat? :unsure:

There is a face book group for the Chinese diesel heaters and on there people are buying tool boxes from machine mart about £13 and use them to mount them underneath

Hi Guys, can any one tell me subjectively just now noisy these units are at tickover and full chat? :unsure:

I had a genuine eberspacher d2 with inlet and exhaust silencers fitted to a transit Jumbo under the passenger seat....

It was inaudible even on full from more than 1.5 m away
And only just audible closer up

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back