External fitting - Chinese diesel night heater.

on my Ford Transit van, there is no space in the box under the passenger seat, so the night heater is mounted under the Van with just a splash guard to protect it.
The new location is just below the passenger seat area, and the inlet comes from inside the van, in this case its in the step of the passenger door, which is close to the same level the heater sits.

So it is possible to have the heater outside assuming its waterproof, and still draw internal air into the inlet of the heater
I can guarantee these chinese heaters are no where near water resistant let alone waterproof, the nearest to an eberspacher is the Lavaner Pro but at the end of the day none that I have come across are waterproof,

I seem to remember that some heaters have a twin exhaust / inlet one inside the other where the inlet air is drawn in thru the out side of a twin pipe so as cooling the exhaust and and warming the air taken in might help to enable fitting outside if you kept your 2 together inside a larger piece
the Mikuni My30 I have is like that,

To any of you using kero (or home heating oil), don't. It won't lubricate the pump like diesel. It certainly burns cleaner and hotter, sometimes useful to decarbonise the heat exchanger, but only occasionally and small quantities.

The heated air comes from the inside of the garage which is effectively inside the vehicle, the air used for combustion must be drawn in from the outside however

It'll still be colder air than if you are recirculating the cabin air,so not ideal.

Far better that the heater draws the already heated air from in the cabin.
Far more efficient fuel/electricity wise AND gives far better temperature control.

unfortunately not very safe to fit inside a vehicle as the exhaust joint is inside
I have mine fitted in a garage and, as I work in confined spaces (sewers) with explosive gases, , O2, CO, H2S,LEL I own an (expensive!) Personal gas monitor for this work. I have monitored mine and it doesn't show any PPM of dangerous gases even right next to the exhaust joint. though I do see your concern. A CO alarm is a minimum requirement for using one.

To any of you using kero (or home heating oil), don't. It won't lubricate the pump like diesel. It certainly burns cleaner and hotter, sometimes useful to decarbonise the heat exchanger, but only occasionally and small quantities.
Garbage, there is a lub in it as it has to lube the rotor on central heating burners

Should have had a bottom hole just in case water got in at the top or sides then it will drain out.

It'll still be colder air than if you are recirculating the cabin air,so not ideal.

Far better that the heater draws the already heated air from in the cabin.
Far more efficient fuel/electricity wise AND gives far better temperature control.
Maybe, but it is quieter and more easily accessed for maintenance where it is, besides which, my garage has a heating vent! I have fitted many Eberspacher, Webasto and Wallas heater to boats and I can honestly say the best is Webasto when everything overall is considered, but the new Chinese kits are far more comprehensive than anything on the market and are very good value for money!

Last edited by a moderator:
i have one mounted in a Kingsman plastic toolbox from b&m mounts sideways so exhaust goes straight out also fuel tank inside so box plus separate battery and flexi hose for my camper car no problems with fumes as its outside fully waterproof and before anyone says anything the actual units dont get that hor no lack of rigidity on the plastic or machine mart to a steel toolbox that they fit in .
best £80 iv spent in a while

Should have had a bottom hole just in case water got in at the top or sides then it will drain out.
Garbage is stuff you throw away or discard. Perhaps there there is a degree of lubricity in kerosene. But not as much as in diesel (modern diesel engines with high speed, high pressure injectors certainly rely on it). I made the comment because of what I've read from others who have tested it. I'm guessing Trevskoda hasn't got one of these heaters, so it won't matter to him if your pump fails on kero ...........

Garbage is stuff you throw away or discard. Perhaps there there is a degree of lubricity in kerosene. But not as much as in diesel (modern diesel engines with high speed, high pressure injectors certainly rely on it). I made the comment because of what I've read from others who have tested it. I'm guessing Trevskoda hasn't got one of these heaters, so it won't matter to him if your pump fails on kero ...........
I have run my current chinese heater solely on Kerosene since installation approximately 3 years ago. Pump still working fine .........

I've never known Trev to wish to be unhelpful to anybody, quite the opposite in fact. I certainly wouldn't argue against him when it comes to mechanics and fuel systems.

I do and it runs on kero, there is a similar pump on all home boilers and there is a clean burn lub put in to 28 sec.
To keep you happy put a small amount of sinthetic two stroke oil in tank or a drop of cooking oil, folk love the smell of chips cooking. 😂 :mad:

Don't jet engines run on kerosene, wouldn't they have a pump?

I do and it runs on kero, there is a similar pump on all home boilers and there is a clean burn lub put in to 28 sec.
To keep you happy put a small amount of sinthetic two stroke oil in tank or a drop of cooking oil, folk love the smell of chips cooking. 😂 :mad:
I used to run my T4 on Cooking Oil. Looked like a bit of a chip van I was told.
If I ever had an attractive young lady knocking on the door and asking for a portion, I was happy to offer her a poke (of chips! of chips, you filthy minded people!)

Don't jet engines run on kerosene, wouldn't they have a pump?
Yes but its much cleaner oil and their pumps are different as far as i know, i shall ask a chap i know who works on them local when i track him down.

Last edited:
Yes but its much cleaner oil and their pumps are different as far as i know, i shall as a chap i know who works on them local when i track him down.
I did work on aircraft early 80's but electrical not engines and it was so long ago I can't remember much about it all.

If it comes from oil surely it has some lubricating properties until it's refined to a point when it gets to petrol etc?

Chemistry isn't my subject either.

One day perhaps I'll own a 2kw diesel heater.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back