External fitting - Chinese diesel night heater.

If I ever had an attractive young lady knocking on the door and asking for a portion, I was happy to offer her a poke (of chips! of chips, you filthy minded people!)

Paint your van red with little yellow spots and add a spot of this to your kero:
Strawberry 2 is a 2 stroke oil with a sweet strawberry scent. Choose from either semi-synthetic, for use in injection systems or as a pre-mix
They will all be banging on your door.

Have you got a fridge for squirty cream?

To any of you using kero (or home heating oil), don't. It won't lubricate the pump like diesel. It certainly burns cleaner and hotter, sometimes useful to decarbonise the heat exchanger, but only occasionally and small quantities.
Is home heating oil not just red diesel? If so we ran millions of pound worth of vehicles on the stuff for years in the quarry with no ill effect. Lots of lorry drivers used to run on it til caught not to mention farmers and agricultural vehicles. Opps, I mentioned them.

red is just normal diesel with a dye heating oil is a slightly different fraction of diesel without automotive additives

red is just normal diesel with a dye heating oil is a slightly different fraction of diesel without automotive additives
Correct as you go down the scale as in a lighter flued, 35 red/white with more oil and additives in it, 28 has much less oil and burns cleaner, but there is a oil added to it which is ment to save pumps, but it should not be used in a auto engine unless oiled up, 20 ltrs 28 sec and 1 and a half litres of cooking oil for older diesels, lots did it here before the advent of common rail diesels, some will run on it but others not to good.
You can also run red or white 35 sec fuel in a central h boiler with no problems, it in fact gives slightly more heat but soots the boiler up faster,

Correct as you go down the scale as in a lighter flued, 35 red/white with more oil and additives in it, 28 has much less oil and burns cleaner, but there is a oil added to it which is ment to save pumps, but it should not be used in a auto engine unless oiled up, 20 ltrs 28 sec and 1 and a half litres of cooking oil for older diesels, lots did it here before the advent of common rail diesels, some will run on it but others not to good.
You can also run red or white 35 sec fuel in a central h boiler with no problems, it in fact gives slightly more heat but soots the boiler up faster,
Why would you want to run it on Kerosene when it is designed to run on diesel which is much easier to obtain?

Is home heating oil not just red diesel? If so we ran millions of pound worth of vehicles on the stuff for years in the quarry with no ill effect. Lots of lorry drivers used to run on it til caught not to mention farmers and agricultural vehicles. Opps, I mentioned them.
Diesel engines will run on any oil that the injectors can atomise. The first diesel engine was run on peanut oil!

Why would you want to run it on Kerosene when it is designed to run on diesel which is much easier to obtain?

A run on kero now and again is a great idea as it can help clean the combustion chamber etc....

However I can't understand the obsession some folks have pfaffing with, separate tanks etc so they can run on red/kero as they use so little road diesel the savings are ridiculous....

Thats coming from someone that hates being cold and is regularly away in the winter....
Who's other half is from Yorkshire ;-)

Diesel engines will run on any oil that the injectors can atomise. The first diesel engine was run on peanut oil!

True they will run.....

For how long before the pump gives up the ghost due to lack of lube or injectors/etc get gummed by incorrect fuel is another matter

Reactions: Alf
True they will run.....

For how long before the pump gives up the ghost due to lack of lube or injectors/etc get gummed by incorrect fuel is another matter
I ran my transit for years on Soya oil from Bookers wholesale for years (£9.99 for 20 litres) with no problems at all. Old style mechanical diesel pumps/systems won't have any trouble with virtually any refined oil but modern electronic systems will soon fail. As for kerosene cleaning out the combustion chamber, I'd like to see the need for it, I've never had to decoke one of these heaters ever!

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran my transit for years on Soya oil from Bookers wholesale for years (£9.99 for 20 litres) with no problems at all. Old style mechanical diesel pumps/systems won't have any trouble with virtually any refined oil but modern electronic systems will soon fail. As for kerosene cleaning out the combustion chamber, I'd like to see the need for it, I've never had to decoke one of these heaters ever!

I've known more than several landrover owners killing engines running on veg oil/waste oil
Not all engines will run forever on veg depends on the fuel pump type.

As for ebers.... I've worked on them for years.... Some had run clean others needed stripping to clean the combustion chamber and regular gauze changes....
Mostly depends on useage... Run for long periods at high temps, they tended to stay clean...
Drivers that didn't run them hot or switched on and off all the time tended to coke the damn things up.

Depends doesn't it.
For you diesel is easier to obtain I guess?
For me, I have a thousand litre tank of Kerosene 4 foot away from my camper. nearest diesel supplier is 4 miles away 😜

True they will run.....

Some engines/pumps are designed to be Bio compatible - the older VWs are (and are labelled as such)

I've known more than several landrover owners killing engines running on veg oil/waste oil
Not all engines will run forever on veg depends on the fuel pump type.
If if is a Landrover, who knows if it was the veg oil that did it or not - usually a race to what fails first ;)
Often not the fault of the veg oil anyway but stupid owners using it incorrectly. I have a neighbour that ran his pickup on veg oil (not sure if waste or fresh) and of course it froze up when cold as that is what veg oil does when it goes cold.
Bosch Pumps are good with Veg Oil. Lucus Pumps are not.

As for ebers.... I've worked on them for years.... Some had run clean others needed stripping to clean the combustion chamber and regular gauze changes....
Mostly depends on useage... Run for long periods at high temps, they tended to stay clean...
Drivers that didn't run them hot or switched on and off all the time tended to coke the damn things up.
This is one of the problems with typically the Chinese Heaters in smaller vans like the VW Transporters.... a 2kW heater is as big as you would really ever want to go, but there is a tendency for people to get bigger as they are the same price (hey, bigger for same money. got to be a better deal!?) and the heaters are never run hot for any length of time and so coke up as you say.

Too often, and in too many areas of life generally, products get the blame and it is the person using the product that is the fault as they were either too ignorant to learn how to use it correctly, or decided they were too clever to have to do so.

Hello all and Happy New year to you all!
I have decided to.purchase the above soon in the hope that we may eventually be able to do some wilding during the winter months.
For reasons of space, noise and extra safety I have decided to fit this externally to out 2011 Transit van ( currently under conversion). However looking at the various external metal mounting boxes available the prices seem prohibitive, most being more than the heater unit itself. So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experience of making this box from wood? My first thoughts would be safety dye to heat from the unit.
Any thoughts, ideas, or experience would be gratefully received.
Thank you.
Coli .🙂
Be careful, I ordered a diesel night heater through wish paid for it but recieved a 12volt plug in for the dash took a while to get my refund

[/QUO
Be careful, I ordered a diesel night heater through wish paid for it but recieved a 12volt plug in for the dash took a while to get my refund
NEVER buy from wish full of rip-offs on the listing i bet it showed the diesel heater and type a b etc whichever you chose would be the worth £2 electric heater .Plenty on ebay or amazon around £80

I do and it runs on kero, there is a similar pump on all home boilers and there is a clean burn lub put in to 28 sec.
To keep you happy put a small amount of sinthetic two stroke oil in tank or a drop of cooking oil, folk love the smell of chips cooking. 😂 :mad:
I guess if you're running it successfully and without damage on kero, that's fair enough. The say it also burns hotter.

I have mine fitted in a garage and, as I work in confined spaces (sewers) with explosive gases, , O2, CO, H2S,LEL I own an (expensive!) Personal gas monitor for this work. I have monitored mine and it doesn't show any PPM of dangerous gases even right next to the exhaust joint. though I do see your concern. A CO alarm is a minimum requirement for using one.
the trouble is many people don't have that experience or equipment all these heaters get very hot at the exhaust joint near the heater especially if there is a bend in it, the pipe even the very expensive stuff becomes very brittle and will split very easily some might not notice this and end up in trouble. the fact is the all in one units are not designed for use in vehicles or suitable, I'm also on the chinese heater forum where we are constantly advising people about this.

If you fit them correctly using the metal mounting plate provided, then the exhaust joint is outside.
you are right but the one we were talking about was an all in one unit where that isn't possible unless you strip the heater out of the casing

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back