Electrolux fridge problem

The written-in question: yes, the mains and 12v switches should both be off.

The user guide for my fridge (different model) also has a completely wrong "helpful" comment written in by a previous owner.

That's Neil's recent writing in our manual, not a previous owner.
If it all goes badly wrong it'll be me that'll have to source and buy a replacement fridge.
Hence my concern ... 🙂

Agreed 👍

The Electrolux fridge in our previous even older (by 10 years) Autosleeper worked well on gas, even when parked on a bit of a slope.
Which made me unconvinced about the 'got to get it dead level before it works' argument that crops up every now and again.

It's just the mucking about with gas that worries me. But Neil is an expert in everything. Apparently.
He's even more expert than the experts. No matter the subject either. Quite amazing, all this untapped genius 🙂 😜 🤣🤣🤣

I see the distinct possibility of at least one pair of singed eyebrows in the offing... o_O 🔥 😂

I wondered where all the garden expertise came from!;)

This morning I wrapped some elec tape around the bare ignition cable joint & it seems to be be working ok - nice blue flame. So, if I wrap more tape around it will that be ok for the foreseeable?
(In anticipation of howls of derision...)

The Electrolux fridge in our previous even older (by 10 years) Autosleeper worked well on gas, even when parked on a bit of a slope.
Which made me unconvinced about the 'got to get it dead level before it works' argument that crops up every now and again.

A few years back Dometic made fridges in two specs, one of which was designed for caravans and had to be level to work, these where a few quid cheaper than 'motorhome' fridges, so many vans would be fitted with them.

This morning I wrapped some elec tape around the bare ignition cable joint & it seems to be be working ok - nice blue flame. So, if I wrap more tape around it will that be ok for the foreseeable?
The trouble with doing that Neil is that you will forget all about it......speaking from experience :D

Didn't want to keep you waiting Neil.

I got some heat resistant tape & used that - all seems to be working well now, thanks all.

Had trouble seeing the flame from inside the fridge so was pleased to find I could remove the plastic viewer & get most of the gunge off. Looking good.

It will keep you warm on a winters evening.
If its the same as the tape I have, I tried some in a flame and it creates clouds of black smoke as it burns :eek:

Last edited:
I got some heat resistant tape & used that - all seems to be working well now, thanks all.

Had trouble seeing the flame from inside the fridge so was pleased to find I could remove the plastic viewer & get most of the gunge off. Looking good.
Think those viewers are sealed originally so hope you resealed it when you put it back ( to stop fumes getting back in van i believe ) someone will know for sure anyway

Think those viewers are sealed originally so hope you resealed it when you put it back ( to stop fumes getting back in van i believe ) someone will know for sure anyway
Doesn’t seem to have been - no trace of any sealant on it or around the hole.
Wouldn’t mind getting a replacement one - not sure what wording to search for, tho. (‘Fridge gas flame viewer’?) Probably all pretty standard for most fridges?

Sorry i was thinking of something else with a sightglass which enabled flame viewing forget what i said

Just a quick update to say that, having been out & about over the weekend, the fridge now starts up pretty much immediately. So, if you're having trouble starting up your fridge I can def. recommend a quick clean up of the igniter, tidying up the wire insulation & using heat-resistant electrical tape - voila, problem solved.

Can't say I'm keen on the 3 control setup instead of the one control on our previous van. On one occasion I accidentally knocked the left hand igniter knob out of position & realised the right hand spark switch had started constantly flashing, which would have done the igniter no good if I hadn't noticed & restarted it in good time. So, I guess it's best to remember to knock the switch off after starting, just in case.
Just can't leave things alone, can they!

905c045a-bd3a-433d-a552-7cc931875115-jpeg.84145

Just a quick update to say that, having been out & about over the weekend, the fridge now starts up pretty much immediately. So, if you're having trouble starting up your fridge I can def. recommend a quick clean up of the igniter, tidying up the wire insulation & using heat-resistant electrical tape - voila, problem solved.

Can't say I'm keen on the 3 control setup instead of the one control on our previous van. On one occasion I accidentally knocked the left hand igniter knob out of position & realised the right hand spark switch had started constantly flashing, which would have done the igniter no good if I hadn't noticed & restarted it in good time. So, I guess it's best to remember to knock the switch off after starting, just in case.
Just can't leave things alone, can they!

905c045a-bd3a-433d-a552-7cc931875115-jpeg.84145

I thought you would have known the consequences of fiddling with your knob by now Neil.;)😜

Definitely not!

It is possible for the flame to blow out in certain weather conditions. Not a problem: it will quickly relight. But not if you switch the switch off.

It is also the only indicator you have when the gas has run out. The click and flash may well be the alarm that saves a fridge full of food being spoiled.

Always leave it on if the fridge is running on gas.

Last edited:
You done a great job and we all want you to be safe, is the flame a orange colour?

Definitely not!

It is possible for the flame to blow out in certain weather conditions. Not a problem: it will quickly relight. But not of you switch the switch off.

It is also the only indicator you have when the gas has run out. The click and flash may well be the alarm that saves a fridge full of food being spoiled.

Always leave it on if the fridge is running on gas.
Oh, alright then.
Switch it off, food gets b*ggered - leave it on, igniter the same?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back