Electrolux fridge problem

It looks as though you've put it back together & left the tiny jet out.
I did this many years ago when I first took the fridge out, I noticed this little shiny thing on the ground in France.
Since then the fridge has been in & out like a bloody Yo-Yo!

It looks as though you've put it back together & left the tiny jet out.
I did this many years ago when I first took the fridge out, I noticed this little shiny thing on the ground in France.
Since then the fridge has been in & out like a bloody Yo-Yo!
The flame is in the holes AFTER the jet bit. Taken the main pipe bit part out & am cleaning it inside - thought I had before, but it must have been blocked?

The sparks jump to ground they won't jump in mid air, and it very honorable to reuse the original bits but to be honest I would buy new replacements

Could you shout that a bit louder, Ian? 👍 :)

Neil is deaf, and even when he hears you (and I don't just mean me!) he rarely 'listens' ... 🙃 :cool:

{sigh}

The written-in question: yes, the mains and 12v switches should both be off.

The user guide for my fridge (different model) also has a completely wrong "helpful" comment written in by a previous owner.
Whilst the 'correct' procedure is to turn off 12v and mains switches, in practice it makes no differance, or at least I should say, in the 9 years we have owned our present van the 12v is rarely switched off, sometimes if I remember will switch it off when driving to MOT, not 'good practice' but there we go. We rarely use EHU when camping, but often we plug in at home overnight before going away and loading fridge, have often left this on to no ill effect.

Whilst the 'correct' procedure is to turn off 12v and mains switches, in practice it makes no differance, or at least I should say, in the 9 years we have owned our present van the 12v is rarely switched off, sometimes if I remember will switch it off when driving to MOT, not 'good practice' but there we go. We rarely use EHU when camping, but often we plug in at home overnight before going away and loading fridge, have often left this on to no ill effect.
If you have the gas running and the 12v on when the engine is running, or the mains on when hookup is connected, you are putting in more heat than the fridge is designed to manage.

Of course if the engine isn't running and there is no hookup, it makes no difference, but it's just a safety precaution, just like always switching your multimeter back to volts before putting it away, in case you accidentally test a voltage with it set to current.

If you have the gas running and the 12v on when the engine is running, or the mains on when hookup is connected, you are putting in more heat than the fridge is designed to manage.

Of course if the engine isn't running and there is no hookup, it makes no difference, but it's just a safety precaution, just like always switching your multimeter back to volts before putting it away, in case you accidentally test a voltage with it set to current.

DON'T drive with the gas on, I've done this in the past & that's when when my fridge has given trouble.
I reckon that driving on our potholed roads the gas pressure pushes any shite in the pipe up to the jet & blocks it.

DON'T drive with the gas on, I've done this in the past & that's when when my fridge has given trouble.
I reckon that driving on our potholed roads the gas pressure pushes any shite in the pipe up to the jet & blocks it.
I think that what blocks jets is the black goo that condenses out of the chemical that's added to make gas smell.
Less than half a psi pressure isn't really powerful enough to blow muck down the pipes.

Last edited:
If you leave the jet out, that's what you expect to see.
The jet was in place. Cleaned the main part out again & put everything back together but now not getting a dickiebird.
Will have another look maniana.

Put everything back together, put gas on & tried again - er...

View attachment 84182
From the earlier photo's this is obviously how it was running before, I'm no gas engineer so have little to guide you apart from saying that AFAIK air should be being drawn into that hole, assuming you have cleaned everything out quite why the gas is burning from it I don't know, others with more experience will have to guide you.

The jet was in place. Cleaned the main part out again & put everything back together but now not getting a dickiebird.
Will have another look maniana.
The jet was present, but it looks as if it wasn't "in place". The jet is just a precision hole that limits the flow of gas. Then it should point at the inside of the burner, mixing in air as it goes. If it was not properly seated, perhaps gas was getting past it.
If not enough air was mixing in, you get a yellow flame which soots up the heat exchanger/flue, so you ought to clean that out.
I use a small bottle brush on a long string that I pull up and down through the vertical pipe.

These old rm4 fridges work very well and are fixable, nielys fridge will be up and running shortly, my rm4 series is 27 years old and still works strong.

Agreed 👍

The Electrolux fridge in our previous even older (by 10 years) Autosleeper worked well on gas, even when parked on a bit of a slope.
Which made me unconvinced about the 'got to get it dead level before it works' argument that crops up every now and again.

It's just the mucking about with gas that worries me. But Neil is an expert in everything. Apparently.
He's even more expert than the experts. No matter the subject either. Quite amazing, all this untapped genius 🙂 😜 🤣🤣🤣

I see the distinct possibility of at least one pair of singed eyebrows in the offing... o_O 🔥 😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back