Classic paraffin stoves and lamps

Still got some cans of Coleman fuel, must be 25 years old now. The’re still sealed will it still burn?

Mine still worked after about 15 years in the garage Neil, maybe more.

It still had the old petrol in it. I still have it.
it may well have still worked Rob but I didn't have a use for it so had to go. Filled a 40 foot container as it was lol

I thought I would share our latest trip on my first ever post. A long weekend at Newark at our annual classic paraffin stoves and lamp rally.
View attachment 132092View attachment 132093View attachment 132094View attachment 132095View attachment 132096View attachment 132097View attachment 132098View attachment 132099
A cracking weekend 😁
Where do you show them? We do steam fairs as an Awning Display with our 1/43 scale diecast vehicles. You must have to be very careful as that would be a fire risk with the general public! Love the display. These are part of our display, we have over 70 models of one make and as you can see, there are a few bigger items too. But FREE weekends (normally Thursday to Monday) in the motorhome. Food vans open from Thursday and a bar! Plus live entertainment every night and a £3 pint! What is not to like. Next one is Hollowell in Northants 6th to 7th July.
PXL_20240518_084214984.jpg

PXL_20240517_164536785.jpg
PXL_20240517_164544598.jpg

Where do you show them? We do steam fairs as an Awning Display with our 1/43 scale diecast vehicles. You must have to be very careful as that would be a fire risk with the general public! Love the display. These are part of our display, we have over 70 models of one make and as you can see, there are a few bigger items too. But FREE weekends (normally Thursday to Monday) in the motorhome. Food vans open from Thursday and a bar! Plus live entertainment every night and a £3 pint! What is not to like. Next one is Hollowell in Northants 6th to 7th July.
View attachment 132179
View attachment 132177View attachment 132178
Are you insured to carry goods. :unsure:

Are you insured to carry goods. :unsure:
They are personal items, not goods. We don't sell, just show. As far as my insurance company is concerned , it is no different to carrying about 30 (yes 30!) soft toys that are kept in the van! And yes, if we sell, we do have the appropriate insurance. But we use the car and a trailer for that because we can't get everything in the van and trailer.

They are personal items, not goods. We don't sell, just show. As far as my insurance company is concerned , it is no different to carrying about 30 (yes 30!) soft toys that are kept in the van! And yes, if we sell, we do have the appropriate insurance. But we use the car and a trailer for that because we can't get everything in the van and trailer.
only asking as a mate got done for carrying a drum kit, his own fault as cops ask are you going to a gig and he said yes, should have said there mine and just lending to a mate.

Still got my Vapalux lantern, my Dad's old Bi-Aladdin bowl fire, and a few hurricane lamps. Decided they weren't very safe when the kids became teens so stopped using them. Anyone want them?
Used to love how cosy it was in the awning sitting around the Vapalux, kept us nice and warm as well as being a brilliant light.

only asking as a mate got done for carrying a drum kit, his own fault as cops ask are you going to a gig and he said yes, should have said there mine and just lending to a mate.
And it is a valid question. That is why we don't take the van when selling at a show. It is surprising how many don't realise that it would constitute business use.

And it is a valid question. That is why we don't take the van when selling at a show. It is surprising how many don't realise that it would constitute business use.
and .... if you DID use the motorhome, you would also be limited to commercial van speeds, not motorhome/car speeds, AND if over 3.5t, potentially have to get an Operators license as well.

(one reason why I stopped doing shows with my Camper & Motorhomes when I went over 3.5t - too many hoops. Commerical Insurance however is easy to get and is cheap if you did want to use the MH when selling).

and .... if you DID use the motorhome, you would also be limited to commercial van speeds, not motorhome/car speeds, AND if over 3.5t, potentially have to get an Operators license as well.

(one reason why I stopped doing shows with my Camper & Motorhomes when I went over 3.5t - too many hoops. Commerical Insurance however is easy to get and is cheap if you did want to use the MH when selling).
Wow.... I'm pleased I didn't consider all those barriers to having a weekend away although it must be a consideration for traders. The rally isn't about selling it's just like minded people showing off they lamps and stoves. It's more about the craic and sharing knowledge. It was a class weekend my favourite on our calendar of camping. I only took a lamp a stove and a heater. I might put on a small display next year if my son fancies it.

I thought I would share our latest trip on my first ever post. A long weekend at Newark at our annual classic paraffin stoves and lamp rally.
View attachment 132092View attachment 132093View attachment 132094View attachment 132095View attachment 132096View attachment 132097View attachment 132098View attachment 132099
A cracking weekend 😁
Can I pick your brain on which is the best lamp oil to use for my lamp?

For Fathers Day my Daughter got me an Eccles type 6 Miners Safety Lamp. I have sent off for a replacement wick as the one fitted is very short. It seems that some people use a good quality Paraffin as the proper fuel (as was used by the NCB) is no longer available and Coleman oil (as mentioned in this thread) seems a good substitute. What would you recommend please?

I use paraffin from 'The Range' it works as it should. Your lamp is what we call a 'wicky' so is not under pressure or producing a gas. I believe we can get two grades of paraffin usually in this country one apparently produces less smoke.....I can never tell any difference.
Any pics of lamp??

I use paraffin from 'The Range' it works as it should. Your lamp is what we call a 'wicky' so is not under pressure or producing a gas. I believe we can get two grades of paraffin usually in this country one apparently produces less smoke.....I can never tell any difference.
Any pics of lamp??
Central heating oil will work to, a bit more dirty but only just.

Back