Classic paraffin stoves and lamps

Our boys' memory is of going to sleep in the frame tent, listening to the hiss of our Tilley Lamp as Yvonne and I played cards or Scrabble.

(I've still got the Primus from our mountain tent days).

Our boys' memory is of going to sleep in the frame tent, listening to the hiss of our Tilley Lamp as Yvonne and I played cards or Scrabble.

(I've still got the Primus from our mountain tent days).
Same here though we swapped over to Coleman pressure Petrol lamps and cookers a long while back ...
Much less pfaff lighting wise than the parrafin powered stuff ...
And same lovely hiss

These are two of the usual stalwarts

Spent a fair amount of time on there with the military side of things ...including British petrol stoves etc and American Coleman petrol cookers .
Yes the first one you mentioned classic stoves and lamps

I gave away our Coleman petrol stove when we were moving from Buxton. Not sure if it would have still been safe to use or not as hadn't been used for an awful long time

I gave away our Coleman petrol stove when we were moving from Buxton. Not sure if it would have still been safe to use or not as hadn't been used for an awful long time
They are incredibly simple and safe when used correctly ...

Worst usually happens is carbon build up in the vaporiser assembly from using unleaded rather than colemans ridiculously priced unicorn tears based fluid ....

Gentle annual clean/service and all is good ....

Belting bomb proof heating/cooking/lighting gear .

in Portugal they probably still sell oil lights in a kit comprising a50p sized cork float and a load of wax impregnated wicks about an inch long . you put a wick in the float ,then placed that in a small glass of oil - any oil . whale , rapeseed , car oil, fish oil etc. light the float and it would burn for hours . you could even gt special smelly oils

in Portugal they probably still sell oil lights in a kit comprising a50p sized cork float and a load of wax impregnated wicks about an inch long . you put a wick in the float ,then placed that in a small glass of oil - any oil . whale , rapeseed , car oil, fish oil etc. light the float and it would burn for hours . you could even gt special smelly oils
Think you already listed the special smelly oils lol

The smell when a candle goes out still gets me now lol

Anybody remember the tins of Marvel dried milk powder? Poke a hole in the lid, stick a piece of string through as a wick and fill the tin with Paraffin or similar. Hey presto, your outside toilet cistern did not freeze overnight.

Happy days? .......... I think not. :rolleyes:

Anybody remember the tins of Marvel dried milk powder? Poke a hole in the lid, stick a piece of string through as a wick and fill the tin with Paraffin or similar. Hey presto, your outside toilet cistern did not freeze overnight.

Happy days? .......... I think not. :rolleyes:
Outside toilet with a cistern, rich barstewart. 😂

Mine still worked after about 15 years in the garage Neil, maybe more.

It still had the old petrol in it. I still have it.

Screenshot_20240611_134850_Chrome.jpg

Back