Changing the V5c

This is what I found today:

Do you have a second window on the drivers side? Also no awning/high top I wouldn't get your hopes up mate :(
These external features requirements are one of the dumbest government documents I've ever read .
Graphics , high topped roof , awning bar !
Worraloadapesh . I have none of the above

Cannot get it insured here unless for com work and you have to show biz books to prove,so unless its given as a motorcaravan in the log book all the work done is useless.:cry:
So you can't just insure a van as a van ?

The rules haven't changed - they're just being applied!
They've now provided guidelines which would have been helpful to have had sometime ago with notice of an introduction date.
Whilst i doubt they are going to be flexible it's always worth a try.

Motor caravan external permanent features

This list describes the external features which are commonly seen in motor caravans, and it is intended to provide guidance on what DVLA expects to see when considering your application:

• 2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) to provide a reasonable amount of daylight into the living accommodation
  • a separate door which provides access to the living accommodation of the vehicle (this excludes the driver and passenger doors); a window on this door counts as a separate window on the main body
  • motor caravan-style graphics on both sides of the vehicle
  • an awning bar attached to either side of the vehicle
  • a high-top roof (this does not include a pop-top elevating roof)

Another copout from the DVLA, why are they only providing guidance? Do they expect to see all of these features , or just one or two?
Why haven't they included other features commonly seen on motorhomes, such as Status Aerial or a satellite dish, skylight, extractor vent, solar panel, fridge vents, cassette access door, Gas bottle access door, bike rack or even a big green "W" sticker.

As they don't say some or 'X of' then we can take it that they are looking for all of them.
The only real 'extra' is the awning bar - this could probably be a length of 100mm drain pipe in a photo if you didn't want one that worked! 😀
The other suggestions in your list add to the effect but not everyone would want them all so DVLA have omitted them rather than including with a 'may' category.
Added to which the requirement is for plod to recognise a camper on the move so smallish blended details wouldn't be instantly picked up.

Last edited:
As they don't say some or 'X of' then we can take it that they are looking for all of them.

Then that sounds the death knell for "Day vans".

A high-top roof (this does not include a pop-top elevating roof).

Madtheswine99's van and others like it will never be re classified as Motorcaravans.

So you can't just insure a van as a van ?
No unless com work and have biz books to prove,if you could paddy would be doing work with it on the qt so its a no no last time i tried,cost £700 and psv mot rather than car type as with a proper motoercaravan in log book.

No unless com work and have biz books to prove,if you could paddy would be doing work with it on the qt so its a no no last time i tried,cost £700 and psv mot rather than car type as with a proper motoercaravan in log book.
Hard to get my head round this .
So you've got loads of dogs and want a van instead of a car you can't ?
Is this the same in the UK ?
Oops sorry NI is still in UK !

Hard to get my head round this .
So you've got loads of dogs and want a van instead of a car you can't ?
Is this the same in the UK ?
Oops sorry NI is still in UK !
Vans are for com use only as in log book,so psv test and com insurance,estate cars for dogs etc and thats why i had one for 15 years.
Things may or may not have changed as we can now get stuff insured from mainland which up to a few years ago was impossable,we paid about 4 time mainland rate.

Vans are for com use only as in log book,so psv test and com insurance,estate cars for dogs etc and thats why i had one for 15 years.
Things may or may not have changed as we can now get stuff insured from mainland which up to a few years ago was impossable,we paid about 4 time mainland rate.
About 20 years ago we could not insure a van unless we were listed as a trader however now quoting as being retired it seems possible, not cheap but it is possible, easier than insuring an ex london taxi.

This is what I found today:

Do you have a second window on the drivers side? Also no awning/high top I wouldn't get your hopes up mate :(

As with any vehicle it has 4 sides, bit like a box, it doesn't state which side has to have two windows and mine has two windows on the back side.

Under these new rules oops sorry guidelines my Autosleeper Trooper wouldn't qualify - pop top roof, no decals on the side and no awning. Good job it already says motor caravan on the V5.

About 20 years ago we could not insure a van unless we were listed as a trader however now quoting as being retired it seems possible, not cheap but it is possible, easier than insuring an ex london taxi.
Still has to do a PSV here as its still com vh in log book,im lucky my box has been a motorcaravan for 10 years now on Log Book. :)

As with any vehicle it has 4 sides, bit like a box, it doesn't state which side has to have two windows and mine has two windows on the back side.
Nice try😀! Actually a box has 6 faces - why dont you tell them there are two windows on the underside or put two roof lights on the top side or put a split screen in the front?
It would be no problem to stick a small window into one side if you do want to follow the 'guidelines'
Your main problem is the roof I'm afraid and that's a significant problem with no quick fix.

Under these new rules oops sorry guidelines my Autosleeper Trooper wouldn't qualify - pop top roof, no decals on the side and no awning. Good job it already says motor caravan on the V5.
It'll be interesting to see whether first registration dayvans get caught but I think the main focus is conversions rather than original manufacture.

Last edited:
View attachment 73740
View attachment 73739

View attachment 73737View attachment 73738View attachment 73737View attachment 73738View attachment 73739View attachment 73740

I have tried 3 times to have my Transit van changed on the V5c to a Motor Caravan. I have followed all the rules as stated on the government website and have been refused on all 3 occasions. It states it has to recognisable as a "Motor Caravan" on the outside and not just the inside. I have put graphics on the sides and back to make it look like a motorhome, but have still been refused. What else does anyone recommend.
We saw you guys parked up in Harrogate last week. Your van shouts out camper. Can't understand this government's rules...

Well the Gov website has been updated today, and I have submitted a change for my van again. Hopefully number 4 will be successful. It states the exterior should have Caravan style graphics, an awning and high top, although the last two are not required as long as it looks like a campervan. So hopefully this fits the bill.

Well got the letter today and they have refused it for the fourth time now, so bo*****s to them. Taking all the graphics off and just make it look like a van, and a criminal, that's what they are inferring. Really frustrated.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back