Changing the V5c

madtheswine99

DSC00117.JPG

DSC00113.JPG

DSC00111.JPG
DSC00112.JPG
DSC00111.JPGDSC00112.JPGDSC00113.JPGDSC00117.JPG

I have tried 3 times to have my Transit van changed on the V5c to a Motor Caravan. I have followed all the rules as stated on the government website and have been refused on all 3 occasions. It states it has to recognisable as a "Motor Caravan" on the outside and not just the inside. I have put graphics on the sides and back to make it look like a motorhome, but have still been refused. What else does anyone recommend.

If the inside complies with the regs in full then i would put a letter to the top person in charge and ask why,have you any pictures of inside for us.

Only things I can think of, is move the table nearer the seating, to show you can sit down and have a meal at it. Also make up the bed, shot a duvet and a couple of pillows on it. The jobsworths at the DVLA only see a van with windows and Decals, I know they don't ask for them, but maybe a roof vent and/or a Status aerial would alter the outside enough.
Also add a letter detailing what you have done, including everything above and beyond what the ask for, such as gas and smoke alarms, insulation etc.

I have read elsewhere that DVLA are refusing all changes at the moment. It seems they are waiting for some changes to classification of use.

I'd say that they are more interested in the outside than the inside.
With blacked out windows a casual (plod) look doesn't shout Motor Caravan.
Maybe some vinyl declaring it to be a motor caravan will do the trick - perhaps say how many berths it has!
You can always take it off later!
Or that may be the concern?
Certainly worth a letter and complaint.
Now you've tried 3 times without any substantive help try getting your MP to show an interest - after all they've got nothing else to do at the moment!!

To be fair, that just looks like a van with fixed windows. I got my Relay changed to a motorcaravan, but it had 4 opening side windows, 2 rooflights, TV aerial, external 240v socket, hot water gas vent, gas heater vent, graphics along side, rear and above windscreen. Passed first attempt. Some of the fotos sent to DVLA
Offside View.jpg
shower.jpgSink, hob, fridge etc.jpgRear Seating Area.jpg70 Litre Fresh Water Tank.jpg

Attachments

• Nearside View.jpg
    Nearside View.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Agreed - when did you get it done?
Since they strengthened the visual criteria in June?

No before that in 2017 but I spoke to them about our table as they said it had to be able to be fixed when in use. I didn't want to do this so got round it in my own way before sending the 20 photos. They said then it had to have the appearance of a campervan and quite clearly being used for that purpose. We do motocross and they seem to have a thing about these garage conversions! Law unto their own methinks. As an aside, we bought 2 new KTM motocross bikes which have V5s and Q numbers to help identification if stolen. I phoned DVLA and was told they needed to be SORNd. Sent off the 2 forms in one envelope and got 2 separate letters back saying they don't need to be SORNd. Bizarre. Bob.

They have been much tougher this summer - it looks very much as if they are rejecting everything.
Having said that your opening windows and roof lights combined with aerial and increased height do make it more likely.
I wouldn't be surprised that the inability to stand in the OPs van may well not be helping.

I think that it is now impossible to change the classification of a converted van to 'motorcaravan', I believe it now has to be 'van with windows' or some such classification.

Sent my log book off on Friday for reclassification. Covered all aspects they specify, but can't find any actual instruction as to what I need to do to make it "look like a motor caravan"
That seems to be the issue, it all comes down to the opinion of whoever opens your application. One person may pass it, another may reject it. Too many variables & too much room for personal interpretation. Good luck on your next attempt, got my fingers crossed for mine....

I don't see anything that has changed from when I did it a couple of years ago. I think they want a camper van to look like a camper van, ie instantly recognisable as such as opposed to something that just wants to get round some of the speeding laws etc. I sold mine off and buyer got a cracking good deal, not many able to convert to a 4 berth and still have room for a hot shower, albeit we had to lift the toilet out to do this!

AFAIK the 'reluctance' to do it stems from the number of stolen vans being palmed off by this method. i.e. nick a Transit motorhome, buy a cheap commercial van of same age, change v5c to motorhome put plates on motorhome.

No before that in 2017 but I spoke to them about our table as they said it had to be able to be fixed when in use. I didn't want to do this so got round it in my own way before sending the 20 photos. They said then it had to have the appearance of a campervan and quite clearly being used for that purpose. We do motocross and they seem to have a thing about these garage conversions! Law unto their own methinks. As an aside, we bought 2 new KTM motocross bikes which have V5s and Q numbers to help identification if stolen. I phoned DVLA and was told they needed to be SORNd. Sent off the 2 forms in one envelope and got 2 separate letters back saying they don't need to be SORNd. Bizarre. Bob.
Thing is you are not allowed to carry m/bikes inside a camper,garage or otherwise,it has to be reg as a living van to do so,only the likes of deck chairs and the clobber that goes with camping can be put in a garage,ex a mobilty scooter.

[QUOTEMaybe some vinyl declaring it to be a motor caravan will do the trick ][/QUOTE]

I didn't put Decals on either of the vans I've done and they both passed first time. Probably because I've put in at least one roof light and a shower vent on them.

4.jpg

IMG_9936.JPG

I don't see anything that has changed from when I did it a couple of years ago. I think they want a camper van to look like a camper van, ie instantly recognisable as such as opposed to something that just wants to get round some of the speeding laws etc. I sold mine off and buyer got a cracking good deal, not many able to convert to a 4 berth and still have room for a hot shower, albeit we had to lift the toilet out to do this!

You're right about the document - this year's change relates to describing new style V5.

Technically they do accept motor caravan but they seem to be very reluctant to do it!
Here's their latest guidance revised in May this year.

The daft thing is that if you make it into a motor caravan then you are obliged to have the V5C altered - but they won't do it!!

I have done everything they have asked on the website, but it states absolutely nothing about the outside, getting really frustrated. Sent in a complaint, as I have done everything they have requested.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back