Changing the V5c

As you say there's no tick boxes about the outside, which allows a lot of subjectivity.
Plenty of contrast colour vents and inlet-outlet points like groyne shows might help?
As others have said maybe roof lights and opening windows?
What are your reasons for wanting reclassification? Speed limits? Insurance?
Anyway good luck with your appeal.

Last edited:
Anybody reading my posts? I've answered the question, if you want further details look it up on OAL where one of the police who instigated the change posted the whys and wherefores.

Anybody reading my posts? I've answered the question, if you want further details look it up on OAL where one of the police who instigated the change posted the whys and wherefores.

I have read your posts, but if you read the guide on Gov website it explains what you have to do. I have done this and more but still cannot get it changed. What is OAL?
No need to be rude, it is a request for help and guidance.

If you get it changed in log book its is tested same as car mot,if not then its tested as a com van which is much stricter.

Colin
Any chance of a link to OutandAboutLive explanation?

I've had a quick search and can't find the thread, which is why I used the terms 'think' and 'believe' as I've had to rely on my memory of what was posted, but AFAIK the basic facts are as I've said. I was talking to someone a few weeks ago, he has a Tranny which he's converting and has found the same, DVLA will only now call it a 'van with windows' or similar term.

I've had a quick search and can't find the thread, which is why I used the terms 'think' and 'believe' as I've had to rely on my memory of what was posted, but AFAIK the basic facts are as I've said. I was talking to someone a few weeks ago, he has a Tranny which he's converting and has found the same, DVLA will only now call it a 'van with windows' or similar term.
Yes thats correct and the way its going now,even big co find it troublesome.

Colin
I too couldn't find anything there - So with respect you haven't 'answered' the question(s) but have provided some good suggestions.
You could well be right of course - as others report and I wouldn't be surprised if DVLA have decided on blanket refusal.
In which case they should co.e clean and remove the requirement to reclassify upon conversion.

Think they would have to give a lead time for folk half way through a conversion,say a year.

The VW Transporter community is very exercised about this of course as minimal external changes in many cases.
But pop tops being refused as well.
Apparently new Californias are MPV now?
Suggestions that the stringency may be revenue related to preclude purchase of a new van sub £40k with later conversion to avoid c£3k VED.
You can tell that the weather's bad 😀

I have found a reference to the police-cloning argument and it was in 2008.
So that may well explain the 2011 change requiring the conversion to look like a motorhome.
By all accounts DVLA were fairly tough to start of with then backed off.

I got knocked back as well van with windows according to DVLA
19ABD1DF-4D30-4EEF-85CF-491CACAF2BD0.jpeg

DVLA have had loads of FOI enquiries and are beginning to come clean about not allowing any DIY conversion.

Here's a link to one of their responses.

So it rather looks that you'd need to start with a flat bed and go coachbuilt before they'd accept it.

Last edited:
You may be able to convince an insurance company that you do have motor caravan by demonstrating that you meet all the construction criteria and explain that DVLA are no longer reclassifying.
By all accounts there are companies about that will go on functionality rather than V5C.

Markd, I agree - probs unpopular as well but I would describe OPs vehicle as a Tranny van, possibly a crew cab. Certainly wouldn't call it a campervan if asked by Police etc. However DVLA is unclear itself to the point of being evasive on what they expect of the exterior.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back