Changing the V5c

DVLA are coming clean 'privately' - see my post a few up.
So unless there's a completely new body they won't play.
Hopefully they will reinforce their public message soon and make it much clearer that there has to be a complete change to the body.

Markd, I agree - probs unpopular as well but I would describe OPs vehicle as a Tranny van, possibly a crew cab. Certainly wouldn't call it a campervan if asked by Police etc. However DVLA is unclear itself to the point of being evasive on what they expect of the exterior.
Was never aware the exterior was required to look a certain way . My , factory converted , van has been resprayed and all decals , signage etc removed

DVLA have to accept anything meeting motor caravan tech spec at first registration.
What owners do after that is up them.
However it would now seem that post registration conversions will have to have the appearance of coach built.
So PVC are out but luton bodied vans or ambulances may well be ok.

Alcam, neither was I, agree it seems a grey area, but from info posted by Markd it appears DVLA guidelines (new?) want the vehicle to be identifiable/described as a camper van by any joe out there. Our country is mad with rules, too many people employed by the Government with idle hands methinks.

Alcam, neither was I, agree it seems a grey area, but from info posted by Markd it appears DVLA guidelines (new?) want the vehicle to be identifiable/described as a camper van by any joe out there. Our country is mad with rules, too many people employed by the Government with idle hands methinks.
Yes seems bizarre , pythonesque .
By the way how did you know my van was grey ?

Vans are still being re-registered as motor caravans, but all the ones I have heard of being successful have caravan style windows fitted.

This is the e-mail I have received from DVLA

We appreciate that you have taken the time to contact us with regards to this matter.

I am sorry but DVLA are unable to advise on what work needs to be carried out in order for a vehicle to be changed to a 'Motor Caravan' on the V5C Registration Certificate.

DVLA’s current policy for motor caravan conversions is that the vehicle has to look like a motor caravan externally and have the minimum features as listed on the gov.uk website. The Agency receives many requests to change a vehicle’s body type to motor caravan and these vehicles range in different shapes, sizes, and have various distinguishing features so we are unable to provide an exhaustive list of what we would expect to see on an application.

Some vehicles, such as those currently classified as ‘Luton Van’, ‘Box Van’ and ‘Double Decker Bus/Coach’ etc. are unlikely to have their body type changed on the V5C. However, it is important to remember that even if the DVLA are unable to change the body type to ‘Motor Caravan’, vehicle keepers are still able to use the vehicle for this purpose.

Regulation 16 of the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002 (as amended) states the Secretary of State must update the vehicle register and issue a new registration document if he is satisfied that the vehicle has been altered in the way notified to him.

For us to consider the change of body type the exterior of the vehicle must look like a motor caravan while moving in traffic.

The DVLA are aware the guidance on the GOV.UK web page is inconsistent with the Agency’s definition of body type and we are working with the Department for Transport in taking steps to rectify this as soon as possible. Please accept our apologies for any confusion this has caused.

Customers can download a guide to motor caravan conversions by searching motorhome conversion on GOV.UK.

I trust that this information is of assistance.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our reply form link or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

Best Regards
C Harlin

Its ok them saing ou can us it as a camper,but if one cannot get insurance then i see trouble,here in N Ireland ou have to show biz books as prof so as to get commercial cover,you cannot get priv soc dom cover here.

VW.jpg

That could be a mini bus or van with windows harrow.:D

And that's where the problem lies, most people think of a Motorcaravan as a big white coach built box, with at least a 6ft overhang at the back and an overcab bed, because that's what a motorhome is percieved to be. If you ask anybody to draw one that's what most people would draw, and the DVLA agrees. Even signs to Aires and campsites promote this image.
From now on, Campervans, Day vans, PVC conversions etc will all struggle to get reclassified, because according to the DVLA, the Police (it seems) don't want to have to make a conscious decision on what a particular vehicle is.

That could be a mini bus or van with windows harrow.:D

And that's where the problem lies, most people think of a Motorcaravan as a big white coach built box, with at least a 6ft overhang at the back and an overcab bed, because that's what a motorhome is percieved to be. If you ask anybody to draw one that's what most people would draw, and the DVLA agrees. Even signs to Aires and campsites promote this image.
From now on, Campervans, Day vans, PVC conversions etc will all struggle to get reclassified, because according to the DVLA, the Police (it seems) don't want to have to make a conscious decision on what a particular vehicle is.
You know what you need ?
The grey water tap open with the water running out as you drive down the road ? :ROFLMAO:

It does say.
DVLA is required to record the details of vehicles for road safety and law enforcement. The body type information held on the vehicle record must describe what a vehicle actually looks like. This description, in addition to other distinguishing features, enables the police and other enforcement agencies to identify a particular vehicle. Therefore, the body type will not be changed unless the exterior of the vehicle actually appears to be a motor home.
To me your van still looks like it could be a working van with windows . It needs far more and larger motorhome style graphics to meet what those with the rubber stamp want.
As for the complaint I wish you well, but don't hold your breath.

Well the Gov website has been updated today, and I have submitted a change for my van again. Hopefully number 4 will be successful. It states the exterior should have Caravan style graphics, an awning and high top, although the last two are not required as long as it looks like a campervan. So hopefully this fits the bill.

Attachments

• DSC00245.JPG
    DSC00245.JPG
    430.2 KB · Views: 101
Well the Gov website has been updated today, and I have submitted a change for my van again. Hopefully number 4 will be successful. It states the exterior should have Caravan style graphics, an awning and high top, although the last two are not required as long as it looks like a campervan. So hopefully this fits the bill.

This is what I found today:

Motor caravan external permanent features

This list describes the external features which are commonly seen in motor caravans, and it is intended to provide guidance on what DVLA expects to see when considering your application:

• 2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) to provide a reasonable amount of daylight into the living accommodation
  • a separate door which provides access to the living accommodation of the vehicle (this excludes the driver and passenger doors); a window on this door counts as a separate window on the main body
  • motor caravan-style graphics on both sides of the vehicle
  • an awning bar attached to either side of the vehicle
  • a high-top roof (this does not include a pop-top elevating roof)

Do you have a second window on the drivers side? Also no awning/high top I wouldn't get your hopes up mate :(

What frigging moron at DVLA decided you need a 'awning bar' to be a 'motor caravan', even the professionally converted vans rarely include these as standard.

Have to agree with no awning over the door, only one window either side on body, no high top (nor pop-top not that it counts anyway)
I really don't think you stand much chance.

Turning to the requirements themselves - it is true that historically manufacturers tended to sell awnings as extras but most do have them. .maybe we'll see all PVCs have them as standard in the future?
An adult male being able to walk around Inside does make sense. As does having plenty of natural light.
A vit of sticky backed plastic is easy enough to arrange (and remove later?)

Last edited:
What about all the people (like me) who've very nearly finished but to the old requirements, ie one window!
Without a total redesign and undoing a lot of work we're stuffed.
There should at least been a time schedule in place before implementation to allow people to get their vans changed.

What about all the people (like me) who've very nearly finished but to the old requirements, ie one window!
Without a total redesign and undoing a lot of work we're stuffed.
There should at least been a time schedule in place before implementation to allow people to get their vans changed.
Correct a time limit should have been set,i think a letter should go in if i were you.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back