Caravan with awning on small car park on Arran

Fisherman

We arrived at Keir Point Marganaheglish on Arran yesterday spent last night here on our own. Came back from walk 15 minutes ago to find a caravan c/w awning out on a car park big enough for only 4 vans. When they come back with their car they will be taking up half the carpark.😡😡😡😡
IMG_6868.jpeg

Just came back with their SUV parked alongside caravan. They now fill half the carpark. And they’re obviously planning a prolonged stay.

Aholes come to mind
im afraid I'd be having a very very strong conversation with them as to their wrong doings imho I just could not go for it abso twats

Aholes come to mind
im afraid I'd be having a very very strong conversation with them as to their wrong doings imho I just could not go for it abso twats
I am considering phoning the cops Gordon. But I don’t know what they could do. They have small kids with them. Couple in their 40s. I gave up confrontation years ago. Honestly they have filled half the carpark it’s disgraceful.

Get your money belt out !
Sneak down the back of your van and in a very loud voice ,
Say you’re from the community trust and you’re here to collect the £25 compulsory donation for staying overnight ! But if there gone before 9 am you’ll do a reduced price of a tenner😉🤣

I will be passing buy Lamlash police station tomorrow, I will pop in give them their reg no. But I am unsure what they can do. There are no signs here. But enough of this kind of behaviour will change that, and this is one of our most popular stop overs.
Also the locals use this carpark to walk their dogs, and look out for the seals etc.

Last edited:
We arrived at Keir Point Marganaheglish on Arran yesterday spent last night here on our own. Came back from walk 15 minutes ago to find a caravan c/w awning out on a car park big enough for only 4 vans. When they come back with their car they will be taking up half the carpark.😡😡😡😡View attachment 123807
Bit cheeky isn't it but have they inconvenienced you = Probably not, Is the car park available on a first come basis = Certainly yes. The awning takes up little room and a camper could park exactly where the caravan is. It's a car park is there is no prohibition on parking their vehicle and unless there is a specific prohibition on caravans I doubt they are breaking any law.

Having said that I do not have any time for the travelling fraternity but these people appear to be alone and you really have no idea who they are or what their circumstances are or how long they intend to stay, it could be one or two nights only and they could be taking a break on the way home from a holiday.

Maybe you need to move off if you don't want to be parked near them, the fact that it's one of your most popular stopovers doesn't give you any exclusivity or rights over the place or others that use it and you are apparently leaving tomorrow anyway. I expect the police will tell you there is nothing they can do or would do unless there are offences committed.

Last edited:
looks to me like they've made an effort totake up as little rom as poss . might be the only way they can afford a holiday . no need to put the rozzers on them ,live and let live i reckon .

As you know Bill, I know that spot well. I am surprised to see a caravan in it but as you will also know its not unusual to see caravans wilding on Arran. Its not as bad as the two sets of motorhomers travelling together who completely took over the whole place there for a few days a couple of years ago. They spread their stuff out, occupied the picnic tables with all their paraphernalia and were generally pretty selfish. This doesnt look as bad to me although it would have been better if they had parked the car in front really.

I would seriously advise against kicking up a fuss. The people of Arran are amazingly laid back about us lot but its a thin line we tread. Sometimes it might be better just not to bring such things to the attention of the authorities. Unless they are causing people grief, leave them to it I reckon.

As you know Bill, I know that spot well. I am surprised to see a caravan in it but as you will also know its not unusual to see caravans wilding on Arran. Its not as bad as the two sets of motorhomers travelling together who completely took over the whole place there for a few days a couple of years ago. They spread their stuff out, occupied the picnic tables with all their paraphernalia and were generally pretty selfish. This doesnt look as bad to me although it would have been better if they had parked the car in front really.

I would seriously advise against kicking up a fuss. The people of Arran are amazingly laid back about us lot but its a thin line we tread. Sometimes it might be better just not to bring such things to the attention of the authorities. Unless they are causing people grief, leave them to it I reckon.
I have calmed down a bit Barry.
We now have two cars parked behind us. Two locals turned up to walk their dogs with nowhere to park. I told them to park behind me. I won’t be contacting the police. But one of the dog walkers was really angry. Since I posted the photo their car is parked alongside their van, could they not at least have parked behind it instead. We will be heading up to Lochranza tomorrow. It must have cost them around £190-200 to get this lot over on the ferry, enough for 4-6 nights in a caravan park.

looks to me like they've made an effort totake up as little rom as poss . might be the only way they can afford a holiday . no need to put the rozzers on them ,live and let live i reckon .
Really then why park their car alongside their van instead of behind it, and why spend £190-200 in ferry costs. I won’t be contacting the rozzers, calmed down a bit now. But taking up half a carpark with a caravan, large awning, and car takes the biscuit. Much more of this and we won’t be able to come back here.

Would have made more sense to just have the car reversed up to the van like its hitched and what is it with Tuggers and their awnings? Especially wilding! 😵‍💫 In 15 years of motorhoming I have never felt the need for an Awning, it wouldnt have looked so bad without that not that its taking up that much space.

Would have made more sense to just have the car reversed up to the van like its hitched and what is it with Tuggers and their awnings? Especially wilding! 😵‍💫 In 15 years of motorhoming I have never felt the need for an Awning, it wouldnt have looked so bad without that not that its taking up that much space.
Possibly my photo makes it look that way Barry, the awning is the same width as the caravan, and 2/3 the length. One of the dog walkers thanked me, and said he knows not everyone is as selfish. They are both gone now. We will be off first thing tomorrow.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back