C&MC site at Culloden Moor

I do think we worry too much about the odd germ nowadays and consequently don't build any resistance. I'm sure I wasn't the only child to grub around all morning and eat my picnic with dirty hands. Pick up dropped sweets, get a suck of someone else's gobstopper and get sent to play with someone with mumps or measles and only had a bath once a week. I should stress I'm not saying this would stop covid.

Experts , government advice seems to change like the wind , so take control of your own fate. To me at least human interaction has to be the root of viral transmission, I can’t really avoid hospital 3 times a week so approach the excercise with caution , other things I can influence like shopping at quiet times, I frankly don’t need nor want Boris Johnson telling me that. I will decide myself ,I am a big boy allegedly...I take a view and manage risk the best I can, some situations that sensibility could be compromised. Like a child I can’t wrap in cotton wool.

Lots of people here like Marie Annie Nigel Trev Christ the list goes on are vulnerable we all need to follow the same path. anticipate and manage situations the best we can and get on with it

Chill out man. I use washing up sinks when they are available. I go out to do the washing up and SWMBO tidies the MoHo while I'm out of the way.

We go to restaurants or get a take away if that is what we fancy. I use a BBQ if that is what we are in the mode for. We use the cooker if we want to.

My decisions about using facilities are, therefore, different to yours. Not better, not wrong, just different.

I thought freedom was on of the good things about MoHos, please don't criticise those who don't do things your way.

Mate good luck with them washing up sinks in this Pandemic And on one site last year I observed a toilet cleaner washing her mop after cleaning the toilet floor in the washing up sinks so by all means go for it.

"My Decisions about using facilities are therefore, different to yours Not better not wrong" your words as you are saying each can have their own opinion on things

So please dont accuse me of criticising others I have my opinion you have yours

On the CCC popup campsite (formerly known as THS) there are over 80 vans. No toilets, no showers. No problems. Drinking water and an Elsan point. £7.50 a night. What more do you need?
It wasn't until we had gone away that I realised they had restarted otherwise would have looked at what was available, as it turned out was very pleased to be under a lot of shade.

Tell her about me? ;)

I'm on the most vulnerable list, still got 2 'adjuvent treatments' for cancer to go (last one 2nd September - roll on, can't wait!).

Hasn't stopped me getting out and about - with caution and shedloads of common sense.

Everyone is different and some folk have had the pants scared off them by this pandemic, so much so they will never venture out of their houses until a vaccine is developed. All I can say to that is they might well be dead before that happens, so if you want to live like a prisoner in your own home until that happy day - which may never arrive - then fair enough, but I am of the mindset to take my own chances.

Life is short enough as it is. Once you've been diagnosed with the 'emperor of all maladies' your viewpoint - or at least mine - is changed forever.

Lockdown? Pah! I already did my own lockdown last year. It was just a trial run for this year's lockdown, which, granted, is on a bigger scale, but no real difference in my head. Apart from that fact that millions of other people are also now worried they might die... but they haven't got cancer, the silly sausages, they are running scared at the thought they might catch something that might kill them. All very sad and depressing.

Not me. Onwards and upwards. Something gets us all in the end, no one is immortal.
In the meantime I'm going to try and live the best I can, virus or no bloody virus! 😝😜👍
Me too with a heart condition, I’ve never worn a mask and just use common sense when near anyone else!

The couple i mentioned in the earlier post are probably 2 of the nicest people i know and will do almost anything they can to help other people.
In that case, they were totally unsuitable. That club seems to select warders for wardens. Seriously, the only unpleasant staff I've ever found at sites have been CC* wardens.
Every other type of site the people have been lovely.
*Changed the name since then, but I bet they haven't changed the attitude.

In that case, they were totally unsuitable. That club seems to select warders for wardens. Seriously, the only unpleasant staff I've ever found at sites have been CC* wardens.
Every other type of site the people have been lovely.
*Changed the name since then, but I bet they haven't changed the attitude.

I would agree with that, speaking from experience (y)

We used our toilet, washed our dishes, shaved, brushed our teeth in our van. On average you use 30 litres of water having a shower, you can’t do that in a motorhome unless you want to empty your grey water every day and top up your water tank. The fact is you get a much better shower in their showers than in a motorhome. But they had no right to punnsh everyone on the site who had paid for these facilities. But that has got nothing to do with paying for something then being denied it what you had paid for.

If you use 30 litres of water for a shower you are doing it all wrong

Ok then tell me what I am doing wrong, I am dying to know.
Stand under shower. Turn on water for 30 seconds. Turn off water. Apply soap all over. Turn on water to rinse off for 30 seconds.

We have wilded all over Europe. 120 litre water tank lasts five days for everything.

We used our toilet, washed our dishes, shaved, brushed our teeth in our van. On average you use 30 litres of water having a shower, you can’t do that in a motorhome unless you want to empty your grey water every day and top up your water tank. The fact is you get a much better shower in their showers than in a motorhome. But they had no right to punnsh everyone on the site who had paid for these facilities. But that has got nothing to do with paying for something then being denied it what you had paid for.

Stand under shower. Turn on water for 30 seconds. Turn off water. Apply soap all over. Turn on water to rinse off for 30 seconds.

We have wilded all over Europe. 120 litre water tank lasts five days for everything.

I think you missed the "you can’t do that in a motorhome" bit.

Hellfire read my post I stated you can’t use 30 litres of water in a Motorhome.
You would be emptying your grey water tank every day and refilling your water tank. I was comparing a shower at home were the average use is 30 litres and a shower in a van were you only use 5-7 litres.

But thanks for the advice .

I hear from a very reliable inside source that the CMC are having trouble recruiting wardens, and that many existing wardens are choosing to quit.

A lot of wardens have traditionally been retirees who want to keep on keeping busy and are usually caravan or campervan owners themselves.
They don't necessarily need the income so can afford to leave if not happy with the job.

C-19 has made everyone's job more difficult, but when it comes to cleaning public loos and showers with this virus about, folk are probably saying thanks, but no thanks - I'd be a bit wary myself!

Does this mean the CMC are still charging full price, even without the use of showers and toilets? I was under the impression that all their main sites were opening shower and toilet blocks, but usage was limited with a wrist band system like Sam mentioned above. I've also heard that a max of 3 people are allowed into the shower blocks/loos at any one time. Guess that also depends on the size of the facilities at individual sites.

If some aren't opening the facilities and are still charging full price then they wouldn't be getting my custom any time soon! Don't mind paying the money, but I would expect the use of all toilet facilities if that's the case, whether I choose to use them or not.

If they are short of willing staff then this could be a problem that will crop up more frequently. CMC wardens seem to have had a bit of a reputation for the odd ones acting like little Hitlers. Staff shortages could make the 'type' even worse under current circumstances.

Maybe you should write a letter of complaint, Bill, and see if it gets published in their monthly magazine? Somehow I doubt it... ! ;) :cool:
THIS is a true story! Many of you will remember when about 5 years ago, there was a feature on TV about the Caravan Clubs manoeuvres on site. You will recall a lot of ridiculous things happening, such as the judges measuring the length of the rubber awning tensioning straps, to check they were all equal, then there was the inspection of inside storage to make sure one's knickers were all neatly stowed away! There were other such prize events such as getting an 80 year old granny to reverse a caravan round an obstacle course,(when she had never even towed before!)
But the prize happening for me, was when the President of the Club,(YES, YOU READ ME RIGHT, the President), drove his caravan at breakneck speed around the course, went down into a dip, bottomed out on the way back up, and RIPPED the back of his van almost right off. He then complained that he had smashed his Wedgewood China set!!
As if this true story is not unbelievable enough, get this - I emailed the Club magazine, stating that I thought this whole deplorable escapade showed us all up in a bad light, as the public thought little enough of caravanners and motorhomers as it was!
Here at last is the punchline - the club SUSPENDED my membership!
Unbelievable but true.
So good luck with reporting your item to them!

I’ve just joined this forum, it was the name that did it for me, wildcamping.
I’ve had terrible experiences on club sites in the past and gave up using them, isn’t that why we’re all here? Just a bit confused as to why this is a topic on a wild camping forum... just sayin

:)I think some people myself included are look small CL as an alternative to area's not wild camping friendly at this time, it's also good to have a spread of possible location to empty waste and charge batteries and if some cost so be it.
My heart is with wildcamping and that's why i joined this forum the CL's are not listed on the app location app, but i do appreciate getting information on other topic's among the varied post. Variety is the spice of life so they say:)

I’ve just joined this forum, it was the name that did it for me, wildcamping.
I’ve had terrible experiences on club sites in the past and gave up using them, isn’t that why we’re all here? Just a bit confused as to why this is a topic on a wild camping forum... just sayin

Unless you've been on another planet the last few months, I only need to use a couple of words to explain why - 'Covid-19' and 'pandemic'.

Campsites are only under more regular discussion here (as are many other 'alternatives' to wilding at the moment) because the pandemic has caused a variety of problems for wild campers across the board. Some of the problems are merely a perception - bad press & hysterical media - but this has been sufficient to put some people off wilding this year. But it's also worth noting that others have been wilding throughout the virus with no problems whatsoever.

However, some members are definitely wary of going off 'wilding' under present circumstances, again for a variety of virus-related reasons.

Hence the 2020 compromise of staying on campsites, as some feel it's the only safe way to get out and about in their vans - for now!

Does that explanation help? :unsure: :cool:

Surely any shower providing one soaps up gets clean and rinses off even if only say 7 litres of water used is better than any wet wipe wash down? No camper or motorhome shower will ever be like a good 15 minute blast like at home.
sorry but you must be , using your balls to much, ar soap, to many bubbles, use less soap,well ive tried it, p.s. keep clean. ok pj.

Unless you've been on another planet the last few months, I only need to use a couple of words to explain why - 'Covid-19' and 'pandemic'.

Campsites are only under more regular discussion here (as are many other 'alternatives' to wilding at the moment) because the pandemic has caused a variety of problems for wild campers across the board. Some of the problems are merely a perception - bad press & hysterical media - but this has been sufficient to put some people off wilding this year. But it's also worth noting that others have been wilding throughout the virus with no problems whatsoever.

However, some members are definitely wary of going off 'wilding' under present circumstances, again for a variety of virus-related reasons.

Hence the 2020 compromise of staying on campsites, as some feel it's the only safe way to get out and about in their vans - for now!

Does that explanation help? :unsure: :cool:

You’re more right than you might think! I live in the far north Highlands and haven’t ventured far since March. I did notice the site at Altnaharra hasn’t opened this year, perhaps because it doesn’t have facilities? Yes, your explanation helped!

There was certainly some animosity towards MHs in the neck of the woods during lockdown. Mostly because there were virtually no cases of covid in the far north and because of the potential threat to meagre public health infrastructure.
Since the easing of restrictions, it now looks like any other summer on the NC500!

The real threat to wilding in the north is coming not from the communities, rather from a Danish billionaire who doesn’t want MHs to have the freedom to wild camp, but that’s a whole other story... (one of this man’s businesses now owns the NC500 franchise).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back