Brittany ferries booked from Santander to Portsmouth

A reply from Brittany ferries when I asked them for a refund as opposed to the voucher offered, now I will put my case to the credit card company that I paid for the ticket with. Cheeky buggers, wanting it's customers to fund them, when we still have to pay for alternative transportation to get us home.

Strange that it is them who have cancelled the Spain ferry, the Zeebrugge to Hull ferry with P&O is still running, so it shows it can be done, so no reason why they can't presume service.View attachment 79716

Disappointing response ...

They have no legal grounds to withhold your refund.

What goes around comes around.

They are damaging their business by short term actions.

The P&O Zeebrugge to Hull service had hardly any non freight traffic when I came back on 25th March. There were 2 caravans, 2 motorhomes, a panel van and 5 cars that night. The previous night there were only 2 cars. The restaurant was still open but as there were so few people it was easy to be well apart. Great way to come back. A nights rest before the 5 hour journey to Scotland. If I had used the tunnel I would have been on the road an extra day.

Doesn't sound as if BF are trying that hard to get freight substitutions on this long route.
Maybe ferry isn't as flexible as others?

I'm not surprised at their response as actually refunding the fare they took from you only a few weeks ago along with all the others is going to hit them hard.
However whilst the law may change in the future as it stands now they must pay you cash.
Obviously you'll write and tell them that so rejecting their offer. But at the same time send a copy of their response to your credit card company and ask them for the money.
I don't know and I hope I'm wrong but they may say no as you weren't in uk when you made the purchase??
Hope you get your money back anyway.

I don't believe that your location at time of purchase affects a Section 75 claim.

I'm sure that protection will apply for a purchase made within the EU. At least for now ...

Of course what they should have done is offered you a refund, or as a gesture of good will a voucher plus a bonus.

In your case a voucher is of no use. You now have to pay hard cash for an alternative means of travel.

I would be inclined to detail your experience on their Facebook page and/or Twitter account ...

The P&O Zeebrugge to Hull service had hardly any non freight traffic when I came back on 25th March. There were 2 caravans, 2 motorhomes, a panel van and 5 cars that night. The previous night there were only 2 cars. The restaurant was still open but as there were so few people it was easy to be well apart. Great way to come back. A nights rest before the 5 hour journey to Scotland. If I had used the tunnel I would have been on the road an extra day.

We came back last year on that, as it was only 3 hours home from there, I had a shock how small the inside cabin was, I went to see the reception and kindly asked if it was possible to upgrade to a larger cabin, they offered us there best cabin for £60. It came with a free mini bar, plus snacks, TV and two Double beds, me and the wife had one each, the feeling of space after been cooked up in the motorhome for a few months was brilliant.

Just looked now and they don't have a ferry on the day we were hoping to be near there, it is 2 days later and they have had to raise the price for a basic cabin to €277. Think it would be safer to come back via the tunnel that seems to be a fixed price now of £125.00.

P&O are only running freight ferries, plus they have laid up three ferries on the Dover route, with and application for government funding to enable them to continue operating amounting to £150m and a further £150m from Dubai Port the owners, to the best of my knowledge neither have offered support. I believe from contacts in France that movements other than essential are heavily subject to an on the spot fine, I cannot be absolutely clear on the amount however its around 500 euros.
I would suggest booking at the moment is a little premature

P&O are only running freight ferries, plus they have laid up three ferries on the Dover route, with and application for government funding to enable them to continue operating amounting to £150m and a further £150m from Dubai Port the owners, to the best of my knowledge neither have offered support. I believe from contacts in France that movements other than essential are heavily subject to an on the spot fine, I cannot be absolutely clear on the amount however its around 500 euros.
I would suggest booking at the moment is a little premature

I have a letter from the UK foreign ambassador to Spain, that is in both French and Spanish explaining that we are heading back to the UK, hopefully that will suffice.

It may however check first is my suggestion, it not as it was in the channel crossing world.

A large number of staff including officers are being furloughed, this is not chatter!

We came back last year on that, as it was only 3 hours home from there, I had a shock how small the inside cabin was, I went to see the reception and kindly asked if it was possible to upgrade to a larger cabin, they offered us there best cabin for £60. It came with a free mini bar, plus snacks, TV and two Double beds, me and the wife had one each, the feeling of space after been cooked up in the motorhome for a few months was brilliant.

Just looked now and they don't have a ferry on the day we were hoping to be near there, it is 2 days later and they have had to raise the price for a basic cabin to €277. Think it would be safer to come back via the tunnel that seems to be a fixed price now of £125.00.
How annoying! When we were looking to delay our train ticket by a couple more weeks, the fixed price was £217 so we decided to keep the booked day 29/4 as that cost £95+ £19 for dog. Phoned to check too only a few days ago! Don't know when they changed the price...I see there is a banner now stating it's changed. Just thrown out plans into disarray....wanted to stay another couple of weeks to be safer through France Spain and also in UK!:unsure::rolleyes::rolleyes::unsure:

@ mobilvetta have just delayed our booking for a week, thanks to your post. Worth waiting a little longer in Portugal as we originally wanted, and saved over £100 from call to the tunnel the other day. After 17/5 the prices drop even further so if you are going back after then it is worth booking now! Thanks!

I see there's talk of a government bail out for travel companies.
Whether this will extend to French ferry companies I do not know.

Well set of Monday at noon and drove from near Torrievieja to North of Zaragoza, we were diverted by the police of the motorway to a roundabout, the police were interviewing everyone, but when it was our turn they just waved us through, rejoined the motorway, love seeing the scenery after 5 weeks of been under house arrest, stopped at a service station for the night, it was quite and pieceful, the roads were fairly quiet as well and the weather was good. About 2 hours outside Valencia on the road to Zaragoza we saw a air field and an aircraft hanger in the middle of the country, it wasn't actually an airport as such, but it had an airstrip, there were hundreds of airlines parked up there including some British Airways planes, I presume it is cheaper to store them then than at an airport.

Different story today, set of at 11.00am after cleaning all the bugs of the windscreen from the day before and then the heavens decided to open, it has rained throughout the journey today. We were heading to Dax, 303 Kms away, chose to go through the Somport tunnel, due to the low clouds and rain the scenery was not good over the Pyrenees, visibility was poor, at one point we could see snow at the top of the mountains, got to Dax and decided to carry on a bit further, we have parked up on the Service station on the N10 for the night just North of Bordeaux, heading towards Rouen tomorrow, about 370 miles away, might not get that far, but we will see, far more commercial traffic on the roads in France. It supposed to be dry but cloudy tomorrow and then Sunny on Thursday.

We have stayed off the toll roads so far, filled up with diesel in France €1.16, motorway services cheapest we saw was €126.5, cheapest we saw it in Spain was 0.89.9 cents a litre.
We have booked the channel tunnel for Monday, just for safety incase we broke down on route, I'm hoping if I turn up they will get us on the next available train, after all all the fates are fixed at the same price now at £125.00. we have all the correct forms filled in for going through France, but as yet we have not been stopped or seen any road blocks, even at the border with Spain.

I think we have driven past that airstrip and it always seemed to have planes parked up even in "normal" times. Glad you are making headway ,stay safe and good luck

We have booked the channel tunnel for Monday, just for safety incase we broke down on route, I'm hoping if I turn up they will get us on the next available train, after all all the fates are fixed at the same price now at £125.00. we have all the correct forms filled in for going through France, but as yet we have not been stopped or seen any road blocks, even at the border with Spain.
We were advised by the tunnel a day or so ago that if you turn up early they will still get you on next train if at all possible.

We are now 137 Kms from Calais, hopeing they will allow us on the tunnel tomorrow, ending up paying €104 in tolls from Bordeaux. We paid €20 on the A10, €64.50 at the end of the A28 and then exited onto the A13 for one junction and was charged €20 total rip off for that last one. Looking forward so much to some fish and chips.

Last edited:
I was about to say that if you live near one the delivery is where it's at.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back