Brittany ferries booked from Santander to Portsmouth

Did You down load the English version looks like you'd tick this one in second section

European Union or assimilated countries nationals2:

Individuals transiting through France to reach their residence, accompanied by their spouse and children;

View attachment 79460
Can you tell me where abouts did you find this form within the website please, so that I can download it in French. As the two other links on the website one in French and one in English appear to be different.

Copy of the email, they are just supplying a voucher.View attachment 79447

This is the relevant section:

Ferry cancellation rights
If your ferry service is cancelled or departure is delayed for more than 90 minutes, you should be offered the choice between:

• an alternative sailing at the earliest opportunity at no additional cost
  • reimbursement of the ticket price within seven days.
If you opt for an alternative crossing, you're still entitled to claim compensation for the delay to your original journey.

This is the relevant section:

Ferry cancellation rights
If your ferry service is cancelled or departure is delayed for more than 90 minutes, you should be offered the choice between:

• an alternative sailing at the earliest opportunity at no additional cost
  • reimbursement of the ticket price within seven days.
If you opt for an alternative crossing, you're still entitled to claim compensation for the delay to your original journey.

Thanks I raised a claim with my credit card, no doubt they will get a refund for me from there merchant. It's impossible to get through to Brittany ferries, obviously everyone is trying to get in touch with them.

Thanks I raised a claim with my credit card, no doubt they will get a refund for me from there merchant. It's impossible to get through to Brittany ferries, obviously everyone is trying to get in touch with them.

The credit card company will almost certainly advise you that the refund must be claimed from Brittany.

A Section 75 claim will only be entertained in the event that Brittany fail to reimburse you through default or insolvency.

I suggest you email Brittany outlining your right to a refund within seven days and you could consider seeking compensation especially since you will be incurring additional costs travelling back by road.

The trouble is, that if everyone (who has BF bookings cancelled) demands and gets a refund, then BF itself could go under and then we won't be able to get crossings at all later on. What will people spend their refunds on anyway? Not on going away on holiday.

Our hearts go out to you..
Let's hope you get back as smoothly as possible.
We are staying away for the duration of the emergency.

We were sad to have to fly back to Leeds, for a funeral, mid, January.
But we now are so glad that we were able to see friends, family and pick up medication.
We also came back with 2 tins of corned beef and a case of pneumonia, as a souvenir.
That means that we're both in the at risk category.
We would prefer to risk it here, than risk travelling.
Good luck to you and all folk with similar problems.

• Love
Reactions: REC
The trouble is, that if everyone (who has BF bookings cancelled) demands and gets a refund, then BF itself could go under and then we won't be able to get crossings at all later on. What will people spend their refunds on anyway? Not on going away on holiday.

It is them who have cancelled the voyage, not me, it isn't my duty or other customers to help prop up a company, that should be down to the shareholders who have received dividends during the good times.

I can put the money to good use myself. I wonder if Brittany Ferries would provide me with an interest free loan for a few years, in essence that is what it is asking it's customers to do.
It is a French company, so surely it's up to the French government to negotiate a survival package for them. I'm sure if they didn't survive another ferry company would soon come along to take the Spanish routes slots on, especially given there is no competition on the Spanish route, so I should imagine there is a healthy profit to be made.

My understanding, based on the gov.uk travel advice pages, is that 2 forms are required - one for international travel and the other for movement within France (the latter being freshly completed each day). The international travel form has the requisite option (Individuals transiting through France to reach their residence, accompanied by their spouse and children) and the domestic movement form includes a "pressing family reasons" option that is probably the most appropriate.

Brittany Ferries was founded by farmers in Brittany. It has always been heavily subsidised by the French Government to the detriment of British ferry companies. For the last few years it has had a monopoly on the Western Channel routes and has been charging whatever it wants, having driven the competition away. Why would we have any sympathy for them?

Brittany Ferries was founded by farmers in Brittany. It has always been heavily subsidised by the French Government to the detriment of British ferry companies. For the last few years it has had a monopoly on the Western Channel routes and has been charging whatever it wants, having driven the competition away. Why would we have any sympathy for them?
To which British ferry companies do you refer?

To which British ferry companies do you refer?
P&O operated for a long time from Portsmouth to Cherbourg, Plymouth to Santander, and Portsmouth to Le Havre, DFDS (not strictly British} operated the Portsmouth to Le Havre route for a few years, they were always undercut by Brittany who are now reaping the rewards.

P&O operated for a long time from Portsmouth to Cherbourg, Plymouth to Santander, and Portsmouth to Le Havre, DFDS (not strictly British} operated the Portsmouth to Le Havre route for a few years, they were always undercut by Brittany who are now reaping the rewards.
Didn’t P&O also operate from Portsmouth to Bilbao a few years ago ?

BF has always pretty much had a monopoly of western Channel routes. P&O Ferries did operate in the central Channel (with some rather dated ferries). P&O Ferries is owned by DP World (Dubai) and DFDS is Danish.

BF has always pretty much had a monopoly of western Channel routes. P&O Ferries did operate in the central Channel (with some rather dated ferries). P&O Ferries is owned by DP World (Dubai) and DFDS is Danish.
I think you'll find they were UK owned when they ran the Western Channel, and as I said DFDS weren't British but also not subsidised.

Didn’t P&O also operate from Portsmouth to Bilbao a few years ago ?
Yes they did. As a freight driver I enjoyed the waiter service in the drivers restaurant, with very nice meals with wine on Brittany, but on P&O boats they offered a 33cl bottle of beer or a 75cl bottle of wine. I could never quite reconcile the thinking.

Where are you hiding out? It seems a very long time since we were in Cordoba. Meg
denbigh there use to be an asilem there,or are you, hoping, like the rest of us, the song is, well meet again, here is hoping. ok.pj. arr v das hen pet.

A reply from Brittany ferries when I asked them for a refund as opposed to the voucher offered, now I will put my case to the credit card company that I paid for the ticket with. Cheeky buggers, wanting it's customers to fund them, when we still have to pay for alternative transportation to get us home.

Strange that it is them who have cancelled the Spain ferry, the Zeebrugge to Hull ferry with P&O is still running, so it shows it can be done, so no reason why they can't presume service.
Screenshot_20200418-144458.png

I'm not surprised at their response as actually refunding the fare they took from you only a few weeks ago along with all the others is going to hit them hard.
However whilst the law may change in the future as it stands now they must pay you cash.
Obviously you'll write and tell them that so rejecting their offer. But at the same time send a copy of their response to your credit card company and ask them for the money.
I don't know and I hope I'm wrong but they may say no as you weren't in uk when you made the purchase??
Hope you get your money back anyway.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back