Brittany ferries booked from Santander to Portsmouth

Mobilvetta

Well I have took the plunge and decided to book the ferry from Santander to Portsmouth on the 3rd May.

Needed to be back mid May as the wife is supposed to be having a replacement hip at Spire hospital, although not sure if it will be still going ahead as I believe the NHS has done a deal with Spire hospitals to give the NHS more capacity. So far though we haven't had a letter of phone call to say it's cancelled.

Hopefully the ferry will be running, it was supposed to be starting up again on this route on the 12th April, but that got postponed until the 22nd April, I have noticed that this sailing has now been postponed too.

Didn't fancy the drive through France when you can't explore places on route. The ferry worked out at £401 for the return journey a bit cheaper than the £470 I paid for the outward journey. Hopefully the journey across Spain will be easier by then as I expect they will have lifted the lock down by then.

So if you see a Mobilvetta motorhome making its way on the UK road network from down south to Blackpool during the lockdown it is necessary travel.

No doubt looking at various other motorhome sites on facebook if I am spotted on the road there will be ridiculous comments about me taking the piss been on my Jollie's. It amazes me when I see some of the comments slagging folk off for daring to.use there motorhome, what they don't seem to take into account is some motorhomers use there motorhomes as there only form of transport. The weather is supposed to start getting better from today too as the weather during March has not been the best.

Hope all goes well for the both of you , but I suspect you will probably end up driving through France , at least you have got sunshine from tomorrow , it is freezing here . Take care and stay safe

Where are you hiding out? It seems a very long time since we were in Cordoba. Meg
Motorhome is parked up outside my cousin's in Lo Crispin which is near Quesada, we are staying with him, he is glad of the company as he lives by himself and he suffered a stroke in October last year, so we had to come and look after him then until he was back on his feet, he is about 85% better when we left him to come home for Xmas, tried to get him to come with us, but he is stubborn and won't leave Spain.

I can't see the ferries restarting by May. Hope I'm wrong. People seem to find the drive up France to be OK. No sightseeing possible, but Aires open and roads very quiet.

I can't see the ferries restarting by May. Hope I'm wrong. People seem to find the drive up France to be OK. No sightseeing possible, but Aires open and roads very quiet.

Thanks that's good to know, it's a second option if they cancel this ferry, although my fingers are crossed that it won't be the case.

if you have it parked securely are the planes running

No planes running at present, we also have the motorhome insured through comfort and they say that you can't leave your motorhome unattended for more than 48 hours, when it isn't parked at our home address unfortunately.

If it were me, I'd choose to drive through France rather than share the confined space and recirculated air of a ship. But then again, that's how I'd feel at any time, not just with Covid-19 about.

The drive up through France is ok especially if you stay on the toll roads. Many booths are automated as you probably know
Be careful about the aires. I came home two weeks ago and in northern France the aires were closed as were the aire de repose. The only places open were the gas stations on the motorway which allowed overnight.
Good luck.

Lee & I have just come up from the mertola region left mon morning lee caught the tunnel yesterday evening I caught the 10:20 train this am , the trip up was uneventful easy form filled at Spanish border & transit chit issued, at the French border we showed the handwritten attestation form policeman said superb & waved us through , they were the only police interaction in 1000 mls other than a police checkpoint that we got waved through,
We stopped just before Salamanca then again 70mls south of Bordeaux on the motorway services no problems anywhere, last stop was baie de Somme 1 hr from calais
All toll terminals are card only now apart from point de normandy

Just had a note from Brit Ferries to say that they are extending my membership for a further 2 months and giving 40% discount rather than 30 until Nov 1

If it were me, I'd choose to drive through France rather than share the confined space and recirculated air of a ship. But then again, that's how I'd feel at any time, not just with Covid-19 about.
BF say all air to their cabins and communal areas is fresh air!!!

Thats not the problem. The virus can last outside the human body for up to 72 hours on some surfaces. If the people cleaning out the cabin have the infection then they can leave it behind, Same applies to anything you touch. Get it on your hands and transfer it to your face. Spreads very easy in ships as they have found out with cruise liners.

Thats not the problem. The virus can last outside the human body for up to 72 hours on some surfaces. If the people cleaning out the cabin have the infection then they can leave it behind, Same applies to anything you touch. Get it on your hands and transfer it to your face. Spreads very easy in ships as they have found out with cruise liners.
I much prefer the ferry to driving thru France in the winter. But now I'd be using the tunnel to avoid contact

My wife is very particular, when we used to go on cruising holidays, the first thing she would do is wipe everything door with antibacterial wipes, all door and cupboard knobs, TV remote, basically anything we were likely to touch.

She also used to do the same on aircraft, wipe down the arm rests, the TV screen and remote, the seatback tray. She would do the same in a hotel room, so no doubt she will be doing the same on the ferry.

If only I could train her now to wipe the finger marks of the chrome handles in the motorhome, I might after start forgetting to wash my hands when I go to the toilet, that will get her going, she will.be out with the marigolds and clothes then.

What part of stay at home am i missing here,this could last for mths or longer,today the gov said it is no longer a request to stay home but a must do.

Yes I fully appreciate that , just a comment on one aspect.
Personally I would estimate potential for exposure less being in one place on a ferry rather than driving through a country but train probably safer. Particularly if you limit activity outside van en-route but “who really knows it can say with any certainty!!!!😩😩

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back