biting insects in my van

EXACTLY - what i found harrow.... many thanks......

the spiders bit me at night and did not wake me up. i got small bright red lumps which were irritating for a few days, but no where near as bad as midges and mossies..... the bites between my toes were the most annoying (there was a hidden web just inches from my feet which i found when i removed the mattress.

so a £1 spray can may be the answer....... Result ! (hopefully)

I got a black plastic box out of my garage that's been there a few months and you can see the white spots on it (not photographed ) and the white spots are just from the spiders living above it.

Added a link,

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/content/dam/nhmwww/take-part/identify-nature/spiders-in-your-home-id-guide.pdf

Last edited:
Clamp silage is relatively rare nowadays due to the problems with the "bree" or runoff which is toxic to aquatic life which is why so much is cut baled and and wrapped. Haylage is the modern method but it does involve rather a lot of plastic so.... back to the clamps possibly?

B2

still plenty of clamp silage round this area. all it needs to eliminate the effluent leaking out is a good 24 hour wilt. they mow the grass and leave it lying in the field in the sunshine for a day then go in with the harvester and chop it and clamp it. not only does it eliminate effluent at the clamp but it reduces the number of trailer loads to transport from field to clamp.

all purpose built clamps, with concrete base and structural walls have effluent drains and collection tanks built in anyway. field clamps ... basically just a heap of lawn mowings in the field are now very rare though.

EXACTLY - what i found harrow.... many thanks......

the spiders bit me at night and did not wake me up. i got small bright red lumps which were irritating for a few days, but no where near as bad as midges and mossies..... the bites between my toes were the most annoying (there was a hidden web just inches from my feet which i found when i removed the mattress.

so a £1 spray can may be the answer....... Result ! (hopefully)

OMG I'm itching just thinking about it!
When I was 16 & living in a bedsit a cat visited me one day which I loved & made a great fuss of. When it left I saw fleas jumping on my bed. I freaked out and sprayed a whole tin of anti-perspirant all over the bed & bedding, it was all I had to hand!

i just removed the bedding and the overhead bed base and sprayed the cab roof like crazy - a moth as big as a kitten flew out from somewhere..... NASTY great fat thing...... sorry if we have moth-lovers here... i hope the spray put it to sleep quickly....

Collette as I pointed out to you seeking professional help from a Vet and the use of a product recommecded by the vet would pay in the long run I hope your cheaper product works having tried the dearer one and knowing that it works I would recon £32 well spent.

Alf

i didn't sleep in the van last night after all..... i went to talk to a vet yesterday with photos of some tiny white dry powder which i had found near my feet area in the cab bed. The receptionist was convinced i had a nasty spider or two in the van (which i have) and suggested a generic spray for killing insects. The man in the pet shop also thought it was spiders. so a fly spray will be cheaper than the eye-watering £32 which the vet wanted for a spray...... The van has been sat for a few weeks now and is covered in spider webs... so its worth a try. if it doesn't work the fogger is the next step... thanks sharon

Did they look anything like this ???

[video=youtube;8ziiCtXk4t0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ziiCtXk4t0[/video]

i just removed the bedding and the overhead bed base and sprayed the cab roof like crazy - a moth as big as a kitten flew out from somewhere..... NASTY great fat thing...... sorry if we have moth-lovers here... i hope the spray put it to sleep quickly....

Best of luck. Hope it works.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back