biting insects in my van

delicagirl

my van spent a lot of time off road earlier this year. it does house a few spiders and several flies. recently i was camped in a field with others for a week and was bitten overnight many times in between my toes, legs, bum ... everywhere really. no one else complained of bites, so i guess its critters living in my van.

i am tempted to get a fly spray and spray copiously and leave it shut overnight then vent it for a few days... but i am worried about fumes/toxic stuff lodging in the fabrics inside as i have sensitive lungs....

my overhead cab bed has foam underlay stapled to the roof which is nice and toasty in the winter but i wonder if an insect spray might impregnate this material....

has anyone else done this please ? if so which product did you use....... thanks

You could try citronella, it comes in spray, oil or candle form. We have been plagued by flies since the farmer spread silage on the fields, definite improvement since burning the candles.

I am very gentle at dabbing cream on sensitive areas Delish. :eek:

Not a very good farmer if he's spreading silage on the fields. Might find its manure instead.....😉

my van spent a lot of time off road earlier this year. it does house a few spiders and several flies. recently i was camped in a field with others for a week and was bitten overnight many times in between my toes, legs, bum ... everywhere really. no one else complained of bites, so i guess its critters living in my van.

Critters, strange name for a bloke.

i always thought silage WAS manure ?

Silage is mainly stored in a large clamp ( concrete walled enclosure ) then covered with black plastic with tyres placed on top on farms.

It then cooks and matures then is fed to the animals over winter.

Re the original post, you might not like this .......................... have you considered they could be bed bugs ?

biting insects in my van, when I saw this title my first thought was,
why are you biting insects in your van?

Urology nurses just take the pee.

Re the original post, you might not like this .......................... have you considered they could be bed bugs ?

Your wasp spray will kill those house guests, as well as any wasps !

Ficam Dust

yes i did wonder .... how would i know and how would i get rid of them ?

The best way of getting rid of bed bugs is the bouncy bouncy method, it works best if one person lays on top of another. I am also very good at bouncy bouncy.:eek:

Oh, bed bugs tend to be in their thousands, quite small and yes, they do bite. We bought a second hand mattress from the Johnny Roadhouse shop in Manchester, when we were poor young hippies. First morning when we got up, we were both covered head to toe in bites, the bed was swarming with the little buggers. We took the mattress back and complained very loudly so everyone could hear, got our money back plus an extra £5 which paid for our Lebanese Gold for the weekend, now that cured the itching!!

biting insects in my van, when I saw this title my first thought was,
why are you biting insects in your van?

Urology nurses just take the pee.
That was my first thought, I thought it is her van so she can bite what she wants in it

Silage is mainly stored in a large clamp ( concrete walled enclosure ) then covered with black plastic with tyres placed on top on farms.

It then cooks and matures then is fed to the animals over winter.

The stuff you see in the round black plastic bales in the fields is also silage....similar process as above.

The really smelly manure that is so common now is slurry, manure and water putrefying nicely. Very unenvironmental.

Strawy manure is much better.

Mitsubishi Japanese import, could be nipping Nipponese Kama Karzi futon
bugs waking from 20 year hibernation.

When mozzies get too much for me I have a simple plug in 12v device
which burns a perfumed chemical impregnated cardboard disc. Works
well.
Someone gave me a 12v flying insect electrocutor, a small fluorescent tube
attracts the insect which then gets fried on a charged up grid, never used it,
but its ready should the chemical item fail. It's only mozzies I'm after.

Ok, ok, it wasn't silage, it was slurry. I'm a townie by birth who is still trying to work out which one is the cow and which one is the sheep. I do know the farmer drives a weird looking Ferrari with two massive wheels on the back, two little ones on the front and has a strange spikey spoiler and it only seems capable of doing 20 mph.

i am tempted to get a fly spray and spray copiously and leave it shut overnight then vent it for a few days... but i am worried about fumes/toxic stuff lodging in the fabrics inside as i have sensitive lungs....

my overhead cab bed has foam underlay stapled to the roof which is nice and toasty in the winter but i wonder if an insect spray might impregnate this material....

has anyone else done this please ? if so which product did you use....... thanks

It's a mistake to allow insects to take up residence in your motorhome however your intentions, l love nature but don't leave it unchecked. After having similar regular bites because l ignored odd looking spiders residing in the van,thinking they'd be natural fly killers, l removed the bedding, opened all cuboards and used fly spray,a smoke bomb as suggested would be more thorough. Sleep tight don't let the fleas bite :::sleep-027:

Any critter that bites me will be dead in seconds.:scared:
Drink lots of booze and if they bite you can catch them cause they will be taking one step forward and two back.:lol-053::lol-053::lol-053:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back