biting insects in my van

Interesting that not all slurry will go through the injection system and a shame.

Never heard that excuse before as it's possible to add water to get consistency right a neighbour isn't allowed to spread slurry unless he injects it on several of his fields and he manages to inject but grumbles about cost and the time involved.

Back to relevance to the thread title, can a pile of slurry or
manure or indeed human crap heaped in the centre of a van be expected
to keep biting insects off a camper? :idea:
You know something like the well known joke why is donkey
crap thrown at a Greek wedding, to keep flies off the ..........etc.

If you can send me a picture of the bite pattern on your bum Delish, I will study it very intently for a very long time and determine if I need to call round for an in depth examination..;)

Never heard that excuse before as it's possible to add water to get consistency right a neighbour isn't allowed to spread slurry unless he injects it on several of his fields and he manages to inject but grumbles about cost and the time involved.

How come he is not allowed to spread it unless he injects it? I thought it was voluntary...

How come he is not allowed to spread it unless he injects it? I thought it was voluntary...

I'd rather they sprayed/injected slurry than injecting liquid offal....
Think the firm used to be Transorganics that did subsoil injection of slaughterhouse waste...
Smelled like death on a stick.

I'd rather they sprayed/injected slurry than injecting liquid offal....
Think the firm used to be Transorganics that did subsoil injection of slaughterhouse waste...
Smelled like death on a stick.

Christ almighty.
Does that still happen?

so sorry izzy ..... :lol-061:

i have got one of these burning in the van as we speak https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BXE6VJQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 i will leave it in overnight with the windows shut and sleep in their tomorrow night - lets see how effective this is....

I think you will find that citronella deters them but it will not kill them. You need a proper fogger for that.

Wash all your soft furnishings at 60 degrees, any lower won't get rid of whatever you've got.

I think you will find that citronella deters them but it will not kill them. You need a proper fogger for that.

Wash all your soft furnishings at 60 degrees, any lower won't get rid of whatever you've got.

thats gonna be a problem Sharon..... it would mean taking all the fabric (which is stapled to its base boards) off the cushions. i did this when i first bought the van to wash the upholstery material (it came up lovely) and a right old faff it was.

i'll sleep in the van tonight and see if i get bitten.

thats gonna be a problem Sharon..... it would mean taking all the fabric (which is stapled to its base boards) off the cushions. i did this when i first bought the van to wash the upholstery material (it came up lovely) and a right old faff it was.

i'll sleep in the van tonight and see if i get bitten.

A fogger should get into all the stapled fabric OK. I really meant bedding & towels etc. at 60 degrees.
I have ordered a couple of the foggers as we've been living in our van for nearly a year now with dogs in & out too. Provided you air it well afterwards I'm sure it won't harm you, I'm asthmatic too.

PS I hope you didn't get bitten last night!

A fogger should get into all the stapled fabric OK. I really meant bedding & towels etc. at 60 degrees.
I have ordered a couple of the foggers as we've been living in our van for nearly a year now with dogs in & out too. Provided you air it well afterwards I'm sure it won't harm you, I'm asthmatic too.

PS I hope you didn't get bitten last night!

i didn't sleep in the van last night after all..... i went to talk to a vet yesterday with photos of some tiny white dry powder which i had found near my feet area in the cab bed. The receptionist was convinced i had a nasty spider or two in the van (which i have) and suggested a generic spray for killing insects. The man in the pet shop also thought it was spiders. so a fly spray will be cheaper than the eye-watering £32 which the vet wanted for a spray...... The van has been sat for a few weeks now and is covered in spider webs... so its worth a try. if it doesn't work the fogger is the next step... thanks sharon

Clamp silage is relatively rare nowadays due to the problems with the "bree" or runoff which is toxic to aquatic life which is why so much is cut baled and and wrapped. Haylage is the modern method but it does involve rather a lot of plastic so.... back to the clamps possibly?

B2

I thought so too but the amount of maize grown these days has increased hugely and I think this must be made into clamp silage....maybe it has less run off...

i didn't sleep in the van last night after all..... i went to talk to a vet yesterday with photos of some tiny white dry powder which i had found near my feet area in the cab bed. The receptionist was convinced i had a nasty spider or two in the van (which i have) and suggested a generic spray for killing insects. The man in the pet shop also thought it was spiders. so a fly spray will be cheaper than the eye-watering £32 which the vet wanted for a spray...... The van has been sat for a few weeks now and is covered in spider webs... so its worth a try. if it doesn't work the fogger is the next step... thanks sharon

Blimey! spider bites!
so what exactly did they say the white powder you found was?
did the bites hurt?

i went to talk to a vet yesterday with photos of some tiny white dry powder which i had found near my feet area in the cab bed.

Just spider droppings,

spider droppings.jpeg

Just spider droppings,

View attachment 72407

EXACTLY - what i found harrow.... many thanks......

the spiders bit me at night and did not wake me up. i got small bright red lumps which were irritating for a few days, but no where near as bad as midges and mossies..... the bites between my toes were the most annoying (there was a hidden web just inches from my feet which i found when i removed the mattress.

so a £1 spray can may be the answer....... Result ! (hopefully)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back