biting insects in my van

i am tempted to get a fly spray and spray copiously and leave it shut overnight then vent it for a few days... but i am worried about fumes/toxic stuff lodging in the fabrics inside as i have sensitive lungs....
has anyone else done this please ? if so which product did you use....... thanks

yes i did wonder .... how would i know and how would i get rid of them ?

Try the smoke bombs when I use them I leave the van shut up for 24 hrs after setting them off leave all cupboards open and carpets raised to allow smoke to get in every where. When I open the van just leave it open for a couple of hrs and have never noticed any fumes/smells remaining. It says kills All flying and crawling insects in the advert and I've never seen anything to suspect its not correct.

No experience with the van thankfully but as a Council housing officer in the past, would always organise a fumigation for any infestation, a spray can is fine for a few insects but if you think you have a significant number and they may be established or breeding, you are going to need to get into every nook and cranny and launder the bedding etc. I note your chest problem so when you have finished obviously thorough venting is critical. Dont be too scared to get a few quotes, if your chest is that bad, let someone else have a go, a professional will be licensed to use more powerful chemicals, should get eggs and larvae as well, and should test the air to make sure that the toxin level has dropped before you go back in.

If you DIY, you may also want to think about more than one go in case any eggs survive. Sounds scary but it makes sense to me.

The hippy solution is a reasonable alternative smoke it in the van see if the mites chill, make friends with them, live and let live man.

Good luck

Last edited:
The stuff you see in the round black plastic bales in the fields is also silage....similar process as above.

The really smelly manure that is so common now is slurry, manure and water putrefying nicely. Very unenvironmental.

Strawy manure is much better.

Its not unenvironmental, it's called "organic"😏

What I always think of is that slightly dirty air conditioning systems have caused all sorts of health problems yet farmers are allowed to spray slurry over their fields and thousands of people breath in the smell

Eat garlic based meals that's what we continentals do to keep biting insects
at bay, hopefully. It's the permeating pong through the skin that does it.
And even if you don't believe that, then the halitosis it gives you will keep the
area around your van clear of human pests better than a SOG vent.

Just because it is organic doesn't necessarily mean it is good.

Farmers have huge amounts of slurry and often break the rules as they are desperate to use it leading to run off into watercourses and other areas (or because they don't give a damn!)
This results in major and minor river pollution.

You could argue that slurry and manure are no longer that organic as cows, especially the ones that are kept in sheds are given all sorts of chemicals to keep them healthy and reproductive...not to mention pigs!

Air pollution from ammonia is rising more than any other form. When the nitrogen from the ammonia is blown and combines with urban air pollutants it produces PM2.5 one of the worst of the smaller particulates that enter the lungs.

“PM2.5 is probably responsible for somewhere between half and three-quarters of the total harm we derive as humans from air pollution,” said Alastair Lewis, director for composition research at the National Centre for Atmospheric Science. About half of PM2.5 in urban areas comes from ammonia."

Whilst it is fairly simple for farmers to address this problem it would cost a fair bit and most farmers run on very small margins mostly driven by our demand for ever cheaper food.

my van spent a lot of time off road earlier this year. it does house a few spiders and several flies. recently i was camped in a field with others for a week and was bitten overnight many times in between my toes, legs, bum ... everywhere really. no one else complained of bites, so i guess its critters living in my van.

i am tempted to get a fly spray and spray copiously and leave it shut overnight then vent it for a few days... but i am worried about fumes/toxic stuff lodging in the fabrics inside as i have sensitive lungs....

my overhead cab bed has foam underlay stapled to the roof which is nice and toasty in the winter but i wonder if an insect spray might impregnate this material....

has anyone else done this please ? if so which product did you use....... thanks

I would worry too about breathing in sprays etc. I guess giving it several days with doors and windows open should help..
Washing as much bedding in a hot wash should help too.
If whatever it is hasn't laid eggs it should be dead soon!

Mitsubishi Japanese import, could be nipping Nipponese Kama Karzi futon
bugs waking from 20 year hibernation.

When mozzies get too much for me I have a simple plug in 12v device
which burns a perfumed chemical impregnated cardboard disc. Works
well.
Someone gave me a 12v flying insect electrocutor, a small fluorescent tube
attracts the insect which then gets fried on a charged up grid, never used it,
but its ready should the chemical item fail. It's only mozzies I'm after.

do you mean something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BXE6VJQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i have ordered some of these plus some citronella candles to put in there after i have washed the bedding... i used these in the '70's in the middle east and they were fabulous for getting rid of mossies.....

do you mean something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BXE6VJQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i have ordered some of these plus some citronella candles to put in there after i have washed the bedding... i used these in the '70's in the middle east and they were fabulous for getting rid of mossies.....

Similar in that they both give off a vapour, but the one I have is energised by placing the
impregnated cardboard disc in a heated 12v (very low wattage)receptacle, used to be sold
in virtually every caravan camping shop, very effective. But you do have to keep windows
closed as much as is practicable.
Goes under the name SPIRA NO BITE 12V Vapour Producing mosquito killer. For use in caravans
tents etc. Only a £5.99 25 years ago!

Last edited:
my van spent a lot of time off road earlier this year. it does house a few spiders and several flies. recently i was camped in a field with others for a week and was bitten overnight many times in between my toes, legs, bum ... everywhere really. no one else complained of bites, so i guess its critters living in my van.

my overhead cab bed has foam underlay stapled to the roof which is nice and toasty in the winter but i wonder if an insect spray might impregnate this material....

our council have a service...pest control..including insects.etc.......look to see if your council do the same...it does cost tho....not sure how much....good luck DG......

Just because it is organic doesn't necessarily mean it is good.

Farmers have huge amounts of slurry and often break the rules as they are desperate to use it leading to run off into watercourses and other areas (or because they don't give a damn!)
This results in major and minor river pollution.

You could argue that slurry and manure are no longer that organic as cows, especially the ones that are kept in sheds are given all sorts of chemicals to keep them healthy and reproductive...not to mention pigs!

Air pollution from ammonia is rising more than any other form. When the nitrogen from the ammonia is blown and combines with urban air pollutants it produces PM2.5 one of the worst of the smaller particulates that enter the lungs.

“PM2.5 is probably responsible for somewhere between half and three-quarters of the total harm we derive as humans from air pollution,” said Alastair Lewis, director for composition research at the National Centre for Atmospheric Science. About half of PM2.5 in urban areas comes from ammonia."

Whilst it is fairly simple for farmers to address this problem it would cost a fair bit and most farmers run on very small margins mostly driven by our demand for ever cheaper food.

What do you suggest? Teach the coo,s to use the toilet😂. Muck spreading is the natural thing to do and it’s been going forever.

What do you suggest? Teach the coo,s to use the toilet😂. Muck spreading is the natural thing to do and it’s been going forever.

Don't be facetious, of course they can't use a toilet!
The possible mental health problems due to insensitive training is very worrying.
Disposable nappies are the only solution...or maybe washable ones!

You're right. No probs with muck spreading. It is much drier and usually has straw or other bedding in it so it stays where it is put.
Slurry has loads more water and therefore much more of it and has much more of a tendency to run off fields and give off ammonia.
It used to be that the most slurry came from washing out the milking parlour. Now that cows are kept in so much more there is loads more of it and slurry lagoons get full so it has to be spread regardless of whether conditions are right.

Makes a change from the usual forum posts on poo disposal!

Slurry has loads more water and therefore much more of it and has much more of a tendency to run off fields and give off ammonia.
It used to be that the most slurry came from washing out the milking parlour. Now that cows are kept in so much more there is loads more of it and slurry lagoons get full so it has to be spread regardless of whether conditions are right.!

There's a simple solution which farmers use when putting human waste on their fields it's directly injected into the soil a disc cuts a grove the waste is injected in it and soil folds back afterwards this should be the method for all slurry but it takes longer and costs more so they use the cheaper option spray it up into the air

slurry comes in a range of consistancies, from dirty water to sloppy cow poo. the dirty water is a problem , theres just so much of it , all rain water on cattle yards becomes dirty water that has to be handled. it flows away if not contained, on the up side it can be pumped through pipes and spray irrigated relatively cheaply and when the ground is too wet for tractors. the cow poo slurry is a lot thicker, more like the consistancy of wet concrete, it can be shovelled, the cylindrical tankers you see spraying it in the field use air pumps , vacuum to suck it into the tank and compressed air to blow it out. you can use the same tanker for dirty water. as a rule of thumb you work on a cow producing about 10 gallons of poo slurry per day during the winter months when they are housed plus whatever dirty water from rainfall on dirty concrete yards. clean rainwater from roofs etc should be diverted to its own disposal system.
all livestock farmers view slurry as a valuable fertiliser so they arnt going to waste it by deliberately dumping it in water courses. not to mention the army of bureaucrats from the local council, water board etc running round with their rules and regulations.
throwing it through the air to spread it is the only way of spreading it evenly, injecting it into slots in the ground isnt the preferred option cos thick slurries wont spread evenly through the soil between the slots , a lot of fields are too stoney/rocky for it to work anyway so its normally only used for human sewage waste thats perceived to be a health hazzard if sprayed into the air.(and smells disgusting):goodnight

::goodnight:

slurry comes in a range of consistancies, from dirty water to sloppy cow poo. the dirty water is a problem , theres just so much of it , all rain water on cattle yards becomes dirty water that has to be handled. it flows away if not contained, on the up side it can be pumped through pipes and spray irrigated relatively cheaply and when the ground is too wet for tractors. the cow poo slurry is a lot thicker, more like the consistancy of wet concrete, it can be shovelled, the cylindrical tankers you see spraying it in the field use air pumps , vacuum to suck it into the tank and compressed air to blow it out. you can use the same tanker for dirty water. as a rule of thumb you work on a cow producing about 10 gallons of poo slurry per day during the winter months when they are housed plus whatever dirty water from rainfall on dirty concrete yards. clean rainwater from roofs etc should be diverted to its own disposal system.
all livestock farmers view slurry as a valuable fertiliser so they arnt going to waste it by deliberately dumping it in water courses. not to mention the army of bureaucrats from the local council, water board etc running round with their rules and regulations.
throwing it through the air to spread it is the only way of spreading it evenly, injecting it into slots in the ground isnt the preferred option cos thick slurries wont spread evenly through the soil between the slots , a lot of fields are too stoney/rocky for it to work anyway so its normally only used for human sewage waste thats perceived to be a health hazzard if sprayed into the air.(and smells disgusting):goodnight

::goodnight:

Interesting that not all slurry will go through the injection system and a shame.

I didn't mean that farmers were dumping slurry into watercourses in order to get rid of it, but that because they had a build up of slurry when the weather was wet (cos they are not supposed to spray in wet weather) that they sprayed it on their fields anyway and the run off entered the watercourses.
Whilst there are some prosecutions for the worst incidents there are very few compared to the amount that does go in...

Does anyone know if using slurry in a bio digestor produces a dry manure after the gas is removed or does it stay liquid?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back