Battery problem

• Thread starter Deleted member 12051
  • Start date

Deleted member 12051

2003 Peugeot Boxer Elddis Autostratus

My starting battery is dead and wondered if anyone on the forum would know where the remote jump start terminals are located.

The problem I have is .....I can’t get access to put the lead onto one of the terminals (back one as in picture)) without disconnecting a lot of electrical wires that are covering the battery. Have you got the same van as me? What happened was I hooked up to electric not knowing I had left the boiler switch on without water in the boiler. Next day the van alarm was set off with an awful smell - I believe I’ve burnt all the leisure batteries out - not sure if damaged boiler. I have no experience with electrics and wary of making more of a problem than I already have
Back to the engine battery - I have no power which is why I’m trying to get it started.

1586668768265.jpeg

What lead is the back one that you cannot get to ? If it is the negative lead then you can put the jump lead or charge lead to the engine,
With your battery being where it is I wouldn’t have thought it will have remote jump terminals.
If it is that the positive is the back one then you have a couple of wires that look like they are a fire waiting to happen one is trailing loose over the negative terminal and the other is going down and looks to be rubbing against the battery tray.
Is your battery lighting up the dash lights ?
If so and is a case of it won’t start the engine these vans are prone to the earth strap from the body to the engine corroding to check if this is the case put a jump lead from the negative terminal of your battery to the engine then try starting it

Last edited:
Helen it is the positive. Cannot get the clip on it is so tight in there with electric leads over it

BTW. I’ve checked for remote starting points I now know it hasn’t

I would bite the bullet and remove all of the wiring and reorganise possibly with sleeves where the wires may rub or better still re-route them.

What sort of smell was it? Bad eggs or Sulphur would suggest it was the battery, anything else and more likely the water heater. What make/model is the boiler? I would suggest it may be burnt out. :(

I would bite the bullet and remove all of the wiring and reorganise possibly with sleeves where the wires may rub or better still re-route them.

What sort of smell was it? Bad eggs or Sulphur would suggest it was the battery, anything else and more likely the water heater. What make/model is the boiler? I would suggest it may be burnt out. :(
definitely bad eggs inside motorhome. I have 3 leisure batteries which could be all of them are damaged. Boiler is a trauma not sure on model

Gas alarm was alerting me

I would ventilate the van and await further advice. Cooked batteries can be dangerous and I don't know enough to give any advice on how to make them safe.

There are some very good electrical/battery experts on here who will advise soon enough. Good luck and I hope there isn't too much damage..

...I would say though, don't try to charge the vehicle battery until you have established what the problem is.
Thank you Robmac. I think it’s going to be a hefty bill insight. I’m hoping another expert will come on board. Problem being I have is if I can’t get it going (in the future to garage) there is no way a recovery truck can get in my property to even tow me out. It is through a gated side way entrance.

image.jpg

You can connect a battery charger (or jump starter in an emergency) positive connector to the starter solenoid or alternator. They both have big thick red leads going direct to the battery. Please be very careful if you do . That said, I don't see how leaving a mains powered heater on can damage your 12v batteries. Go back to basics and check battery voltages with mutimeter then check fuses.

Keith

You can connect a battery charger (or jump starter in an emergency) positive connector to the starter solenoid or alternator. They both have big thick red leads going direct to the battery. Please be very careful if you do . That said, I don't see how leaving a mains powered heater on can damage your 12v batteries. Go back to basics and check battery voltages with mutimeter then check fuses.

Keith

I would suggest (and it is only that!) that the EHU would power a vehicle mains charger and that is what has cooked the battery(s). Hopefully the boiler had a cut out.

Thank you Robmac. I think it’s going to be a hefty bill insight. I’m hoping another expert will come on board. Problem being I have is if I can’t get it going (in the future to garage) there is no way a recovery truck can get in my property to even tow me out. It is through a gated side way entrance.
It takes a 3 point turn to drive it out onto the gravel area first

As Chris above says, get back to basics and check Voltages and all the batteries (as you have multiple leisure batteries, it would be worth disconnecting the cables to them so you can check all three just in case one is different from the rest).
Easy to panic when something like this happens but I think it is rather unlikely you have a major catastrophy beyond destoying the heater element and possibly the heater itself.

If it was me I would take the main battery of the vehicle and fully charge it up while it is off reroute the leads( take some photo, so you know what goes where).
Once fully charged up. you can get the vehicle restarted. As others have said check out the leisure battery,s. The water heater should be fused check to see if it has tripped.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back