Battery problem

• Thread starter Deleted member 12051
  • Start date
Morning all
Contacted inspector at Mot station.His reply to cancelling my mot with this 6 months grace was not as clear cut as people think.
He stated that unless it is parked on a drive or road side and not travelling the grace is effective. If you are found to be travelling I.e. supermarkets, pharmacies etc, you have to have your mot up to date. No concessions by police will be wavered In the event. On this note, if I need repairs or advisories on failure of mot I will be able to travel to a garage freely legally.
There are lots of regulations on MOTs and testing updates, so often I could accept an MOT garage not knowing every single nuance and change in force as it is a minefield, but this extension was very clearly and publically announced, and the purpose for it was also clear - and that was for public consumption, let alone the info that will have been given to the Motor Trade.
The "inspector" you spoke to has so obviously either misinterpreted the extension rules to such a degree I wonder about either:
a) his basic ability to understand DoT rules and guidelines so as to carry out competant MOT testing; or
b) his honesty, deliberately misleading and misinforming his customer(s) regarding this extension and what it provides.

I would certainly not use them again as I would be wary of an MOT being carried out correctly and I would go so far as contacting the authorties (DVLA? DoT?) and ask them to speak to this garage as you will likely not be the first person who has been told this by them - and bear in mind this 6 month extension program actually runs for a full year until end of March 2021*, so there are another 10 months of opportunity for this guy to mislead (lie to?) more customers.

*To explain - any vehicle with a CURRENT class 4 MOT due between 31st March 2020 and 30th March 2021 will be granted a 6 month automatic FULL MOT extension (this applies to vehicles that will also be due their FIRST MOT in that time period, where the first MOT required is extended by 6 months from the due date)

There are lots of regulations on MOTs and testing updates, so often I could accept an MOT garage not knowing every single nuance and change in force as it is a minefield, but this extension was very clearly and publically announced, and the purpose for it was also clear - and that was for public consumption, let alone the info that will have been given to the Motor Trade.
The "inspector" you spoke to has so obviously either misinterpreted the extension rules to such a degree I wonder about either:
a) his basic ability to understand DoT rules and guidelines so as to carry out competant MOT testing; or
b) his honesty, deliberately misleading and misinforming his customer(s) regarding this extension and what it provides.

I would certainly not use them again as I would be wary of an MOT being carried out correctly and I would go so far as contacting the authorties (DVLA? DoT?) and ask them to speak to this garage as you will likely not be the first person who has been told this by them - and bear in mind this 6 month extension program actually runs for a full year until end of March 2021*, so there are another 10 months of opportunity for this guy to mislead (lie to?) more customers.

*To explain - any vehicle with a CURRENT class 4 MOT due between 31st March 2020 and 30th March 2021 will be granted a 6 month automatic FULL MOT extension (this applies to vehicles that will also be due their FIRST MOT in that time period, where the first MOT required is extended by 6 months from the due date)
Hello Wildbus. Thank you for the most informative read I have read. You have clarified to detail. I will make a call to DVLA as proposed by you.
one further question. Does the MOT once completed start from that date or revert to when it should have been taken I.E. mine is due tomorrow originally?

...any vehicle with a CURRENT class 4 MOT due between 31st March 2020 and 30th March 2021 will be granted a 6 month automatic...
I think that answers the question I was wondering about: what happens if your motorhome is over 3.5T, it's still a Class 4 MOT, so presumably will be extended 6 months as a "car" rather than 3 months as an HGV.

Hello Wildbus. Thank you for the most informative read I have read. You have clarified to detail. I will make a call to DVLA as proposed by you.
one further question. Does the MOT once completed start from that date or revert to when it should have been taken I.E. mine is due tomorrow originally?
What does the website say your MOT expiry date is now?

I think that answers the question I was wondering about: what happens if your motorhome is over 3.5T, it's still a Class 4 MOT, so presumably will be extended 6 months as a "car" rather than 3 months as an HGV.
I did also wonder about that initially as mine is a 4.6t with a Class 4 MOT but all the indications were it would be - and this was confirmed by a member here that said is Motorhome, taxed as a PHGV (so over 3.5t) had the MOT extended.

Sorry. thought this was a question to me....
mine is still saying expires on 16th May, but from comments posted, it looks like the extension only gets applied a few days before the expiry date, so I am not surprised it does not show expiring in November yet.
I think it would be handy if the DVLA MOT checker website had a little popup reminding people about the extension as many folk will still not know (but you would hope their MOT garage would be honest and advise them of their options anyway if they went to bookfor an MOT).

I was slightly annoyed at the timing of this extension annoucement, as it was done the day after I took my car for its first MOT, due on the 31st March (so would have been extended), but on the plus side, it got its service as well, which would have been well overdue if I left it for 6 months longer.

Last edited:
If you get an MOT done within one month of the due date, then it will start on the day it was due (so you will get upto 13 months rather than 12 months). If you get the MOT done more than a month ahead, you just get the straight 12 months.

So as an example for your specific van.....
MOT is NOW due on 4th November 2021 (due to the extension)
If you decide to get an MOT carried on on the 1st June for arguments sake, the MOT will run until the 31st May 2021.
If you decide to get an MOT done anytime from 6th October 2020 upto the due date of 4th November 2020, the new MOT will run until the 3rd November 2021 (I think it is actually 30 days prior rather than a full calendar month, so for a 31 day month like October you would wait an extra day just to make sure! I do anyway).

I think a couple of people made comments about if an MOT is carried out earlier than needed and the vehicle fails, that could/would void the MOT entirely? I think - and maybe someone could clarify? - that it depends on the seriousness of the fail if it instantly voids the MOT or not? There are some MOT failure reasons that never used to be and really should not be now (IMO) but others where of course the vehicle should definately not be on the road!
But if you had an MOT cancelled for a 'silly' reason you could be left without a usable vehicle and could be hard to get it sorted currently, so personally I would - and I will - be taking advantage of my own MOT getting extended from 16th May to 16th November.

I did also wonder about that initially as mine is a 4.6t with a Class 4 MOT but all the indications were it would be - and this was confirmed by a member here that said is Motorhome, taxed as a PHGV (so over 3.5t) had the MOT extended.

Sorry. thought this was a question to me....
mine is still saying expires on 16th May, but from comments posted, it looks like the extension only gets applied a few days before the expiry date, so I am not surprised it does not show expiring in November yet.
I think it would be handy if the DVLA MOT checker website had a little popup reminding people about the extension as many folk will still not know (but you would hope their MOT garage would be honest and advise them of their options anyway if they went to bookfor an MOT).

I was slightly annoyed at the timing of this extension annoucement, as it was done the day after I took my car for its first MOT, due on the 31st March (so would have been extended), but on the plus side, it got its service as well, which would have been well overdue if I left it for 6 months longer.
To add, my motorhome is a 3.8 what catagory does this fall into?

On the Peugeot Boxer the negative is usually on the RHS of the engine bay right at the front of the engine. At least it is on my 2009 version. Its a bit of metal that sticks out. Boxers do have a tendency to go flat quite quickly once left with out usage (Known fault). Apart from that they are great vehicles, I get 37 MPG (average over 2500 miles). The 2,2 I have actually has a transit engine !

I got the normal letter from doe N I stating my car is due a test at end of mth, but the centre is shut due to cov 19 and the fact there ramps got turned down on safe inspection as cracks in the body,they were ment to be replaced in April but centre all locked up and not picking up on the phone. :unsure:

I got the normal letter from doe N I stating my car is due a test at end of mth, but the centre is shut due to cov 19 and the fact there ramps got turned down on safe inspection as cracks in the body,they were ment to be replaced in April but centre all locked up and not picking up on the phone. :unsure:
That's impressive. We don't get letters about MOTs in GB. You have to remember, or look it up.

Hi. It is saying as attached h....
CE3E8034-8021-429F-8C41-B4387F6635B0.png

It will update to 11 November in a few days ....

(I understood you saying it was due today, Monday, and not NEXT Monday. if today it would have already updated with the 6 month extension)

It will update to 11 November in a few days ....

(I understood you saying it was due today, Monday, and not NEXT Monday. if today it would have already updated with the 6 month extension)
Sorry Wildebus . My mistake I thought it was today and not 11th. I’ll look again next week.

On the Peugeot Boxer the negative is usually on the RHS of the engine bay right at the front of the engine. At least it is on my 2009 version. Its a bit of metal that sticks out. Boxers do have a tendency to go flat quite quickly once left with out usage (Known fault). Apart from that they are great vehicles, I get 37 MPG (average over 2500 miles). The 2,2 I have actually has a transit engine !
Hi veggie. Just noticed your message. Metal piece not there. Lucky you on mileage. Mine being a 2.8 and 3.850 has a lot of weight to pull. I’m satisfied with mileage though on mine at 32.

@rottytara2004 Check your MOT status if you have not do so again .... 🤖

Looks like it is 3 working days (or 5 calendar days) before the due date when it gets updated. I'm expecting mine to change either Monday or Tuesday.

@rottytara2004 Check your MOT status if you have not do so again .... 🤖

Looks like it is 3 working days (or 5 calendar days) before the due date when it gets updated. I'm expecting mine to change either Monday or Tuesday.
Thank you once again Wildebus. Just checked valid until 11/11/20

Thank you once again Wildebus. Just checked valid until 11/11/20
Pleased it got updating as declared :) It was not totally obvious from the published info when initially put out that the PHGV Motorhomes would have the extension but yours is another confirmation that it applies to all Class 4 vehicles regardless of weight (I'm still waiting on the update to mine. Still showing as 16th May)
Your van is very similar to mine in quite a few ways - both registered in 2003, both PHGV and both 2.8L engines :)

Pleased it got updating as declared :) It was not totally obvious from the published info when initially put out that the PHGV Motorhomes would have the extension but yours is another confirmation that it applies to all Class 4 vehicles regardless of weight (I'm still waiting on the update to mine. Still showing as 16th May)
Your van is very similar to mine in quite a few ways - both registered in 2003, both PHGV and both 2.8L engines :)
Nice one Wildebus. If I have a problem ....you’re my man ha ha!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back