Banned.

I’m not sure the local councils have created the problem. Thinking that is an example of the entitlement we seem to constantly display.

The problem is created by Salesmen selling a ridiculous dream. By naive purchasers who bought a van without knowing how and when to use it. By dreamers who keep comparing us to other countries without accepting that all countries are different, yes.

Overcrowded parking is the fault of motorhomers demanding a lifestyle that isn’t provided for, by those ignoring the rules and by the anti social behaviour of entitled scuffers.

The councils haven’t created a problem, but they are the ones who can help solve it.
So far as I can see the motorhomes parked on the roadside have broke no laws...
Trouble started when the two big clubs told the government there is no need for an "aire system" in the uk the same as europe as we cater for it....
Trouble is they have not catered for it and the motorhome/ van owner is getting the blame.

So far as I can see the motorhomes parked on the roadside have broke no laws...
Trouble started when the two big clubs told the government there is no need for an "aire system" in the uk the same as europe as we cater for it....
Trouble is they have not catered for it and the motorhome/ van owner is getting the blame.
Most haven’t broken laws (some have). But society works best when people work on the principle “just because I can doesn’t mean I should”.

Apart from the fact that it wasnt as simple as you suggest, Aires would not deal with the current problem. We can’t carry on blaming everyone apart from the motorhomers.

Are people reading the same thing? I don’t see how this is going to make any difference to anyone who litters, sits in deckchairs, dumps cassette etc. it’s a ban on overnight staying not banning during daytime.

Next thing will be complaints about all the vans parking in residential streets just watch. I would have thought the area used in Scarborough is ideal for loads of vans being parked up. Not really much there if you have been, except for the free black waste emptying facility the council have provided.

That car park one isn’t straight forward, it is mainly full timers in vans/motorhomes but they had council permission to stay there on council land. Access to the council land is across the bit that’s been blocked

The main issues arrive when it’s a lot more than a few campers staying one night.

Let’s not forget that there is proof that Motorhome’s have left litter, and much worse, along with unsociable behaviour. Is it just them; no. But do some do it; absolutely.
Disregarding the litter which is at best debatable as to who's doing it, or putting stuff outside the van which they should not ever do away from a site, all they are doing is parking, if they don't want anyone to park there, put double yellows and bars on the pavement, job done, or put meters there and earn a few bob, too short for an MH, you pay for two, unless they outlaw that too.

Are people reading the same thing? I don’t see how this is going to make any difference to anyone who litters, sits in deckchairs, dumps cassette etc. it’s a ban on overnight staying not banning during daytime.

Next thing will be complaints about all the vans parking in residential streets just watch. I would have thought the area used in Scarborough is ideal for loads of vans being parked up. Not really much there if you have been, except for the free black waste emptying facility the council have provided.

Certainly in the winter for sure. Not my cup of tea but providing people behave themselves it should be allowed.

I frequent that stretch of coast a fair bit and it disgusts me the amount of litter you see. Flamborough head which is a fabulous place after a sunny weekend is a disgrace. Litter everywhere. The lady who owns the rally field and cl we stay in just half a mile before the lighthouse and headland can often be seen going along the road with a bin bag and picker as can groups of volunteers around the headland. There are never many motorhomes up there and overnighting is not allowed although the odd one does so there is no doubt who is responsible. Pond life day trippers in cars. As a contrast you don't see it down here in south Devon.

M homes should be able to park as cars do as they pay rd tax, but why dont councils at some carparks or aires put up signage stating 48hrs max stay, no outside camping equp ie tables chairs awnings no firepits or empting cassettes, fine £500 or van removed.
In some places a cassette empty & fresh water facility could be sorted, in these a £5 charge and camera n plate rec could be implemented,
Post the bill or next time you tax it could be added, all simple to sort if councils/veh tax autorities got of there ass.
Disregarding the litter which is at best debatable as to who's doing it, or putting stuff outside the van which they should not ever do away from a site, all they are doing is parking, if they don't want anyone to park there, put double yellows and bars on the pavement, job done, or put meters there and earn a few bob, too short for an MH, you pay for two, unless they outlaw that too.
Litter is not debatable when it’s in camper van sized bin liners etc. We need to accept that some motorhomers pose a real problem leaving litter. Not all litter. But it’s definitely motorhome litter and not really debatable.

I’m not sure how the method of restriction matters. If it’s banned, it’s banned.

Certainly in the winter for sure. Not my cup of tea but providing people behave themselves it should be allowed.

I frequent that stretch of coast a fair bit and it disgusts me the amount of litter you see. Flamborough head which is a fabulous place after a sunny weekend is a disgrace. Litter everywhere. The lady who owns the rally field and cl we stay in just half a mile before the lighthouse and headland can often be seen going along the road with a bin bag and picker as can groups of volunteers around the headland. There are never many motorhomes up there and overnighting is not allowed although the odd one does so there is no doubt who is responsible. Pond life day trippers in cars. As a contrast you don't see it down here in south Devon.
In my experience, when motorhomers are blamed for litter, it’s been really clear that it’s mainly motorhomers.

In the example you cite above, I’ve not seen anything published locally that blames motorhomers.

Litter is not debatable when it’s in camper van sized bin liners etc. We need to accept that some motorhomers pose a real problem leaving litter. Not all litter. But it’s definitely motorhome litter and not really debatable.

I’m not sure how the method of restriction matters. If it’s banned, it’s banned.
Ah well if you've witnessed all this I won't waste any more time on it, we're all tw@s it seems :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ah well if you've witnessed all this I won't waste any more time on it, we're all tw@s it seems :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
That’s the problem right there, this denial. No one has ever suggested that we’re all “tw@s”. No one is saying it’s all Motorhome’s. Or all the time.

I’m simply pointing out that some of the litter is definitely left by Motorhomes, and in some cases it’s almost 100% (think Helmsley). Yes I’ve witnessed it, so have others, from residents, pub landlords, communities etc.

So we need mature debate around it, accepting our role in it, accepting how it makes us look and trying to come up with a solution.

Denying it happens just makes our position worse.

The biggest problem here with litter is workies vans, we see them turfing drinks cans & fast food wrapers out the pas side window as they drive along.

That’s the problem right there, this denial. No one has ever suggested that we’re all “tw@s”. No one is saying it’s all Motorhome’s. Or all the time.

I’m simply pointing out that some of the litter is definitely left by Motorhomes, and in some cases it’s almost 100% (think Helmsley). Yes I’ve witnessed it, so have others, from residents, pub landlords, communities etc.

So we need mature debate around it, accepting our role in it, accepting how it makes us look and trying to come up with a solution.

Denying it happens just makes our position worse.
No No you carry on mate, how many Motorhomes exactly have you seen dumping.

No No you carry on mate, how many Motorhomes exactly have you seen dumping.
I'd like an answer to that ...
I've seen loads of vans with a mattress chucked in the back and cars with airbeds just drive off and leave bags of all sizes and rubbish not in bags in place of their vehicles.

Not seen anyone in a motorhome dump anything

In my experience, when motorhomers are blamed for litter, it’s been really clear that it’s mainly motorhomers.

In the example you cite above, I’ve not seen anything published locally that blames motorhomers.

No I wasn't saying they have been blamed. It's clearly visitors in cars as it will be for the vast majority of places that end up with litter problems. We don't however see people or councils banning cars. It's almost like it's acceptable unless you happen to be in a motorhome.

Enough to know the problem exists. As have others I know.

I’m happy that you disagree, and think that the problem doesn’t exist 👍
So you've seen one van dumping stuff and like the councils you think we all do it, that pretty horrible for you to assume, and kills any credibility you may have had, next time get pictures to support the argument.

And I don't think I like my words being twisted, by anyone especially when I haven't actually said anything of the sort, so either find it and quote me or retract please.

I'd like an answer to that ...
I've seen loads of vans with a mattress chucked in the back and cars with airbeds just drive off and leave bags of all sizes and rubbish not in bags in place of their vehicles.

Not seen anyone in a motorhome dump anything
I’m using Motorhome’s to cover everything from the guy in the van with a mattress, through VW campers, up to all singing all dancing Homers. It’s a generic term to mean those camping overnight.

I’ve witnessed it, as have others. These include friends watching the van drive away, and we’ve cleared up after them. It includes pub owners reporting it (and more than one stopping the overnight facility because of it). Plus many have seen inappropriate dumping of grey waste, and even worse toilet cassettes.

As I and others have witnessed it, we know the problem exists. But I fully accept that others deny it exists.

So you've seen one van dumping stuff and like the councils you think we all do it, that pretty horrible for you to assume, and kills any credibility you may have had, next time get pictures to support the argument.

And I don't think I like my words being twisted, by anyone especially when I haven't actually said anything of the sort, so either find it and quote me or retract please.
Ironic that you’ve twisted my words. At no point did I say that I’ve only seen 1 van do it and think we all do it. Straw man argument and rather silly.

The problem exists. It’s been seen and reported many times, by reputable people. But it’s fine if you choose not to believe it just because you haven’t witnessed it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:265)

mark61, trevskoda, alcam, forthpilot, Martin P, CHAIRMAN, caledonia, TeamRienza, RichardHelen262, n brown, mcgolem, Boris7, pamjon, Scotia, guerdeval, Alberto, Gerti58, barryd, TJBi, r4dent, ewen, Robmac, JVG, NSY, Oasis, belbri, oppy, molly 2, rugbyken, runnach, campervanannie, jeffmossy, Bigshug, AllanD, bdastu, peejay, Jo001, Gadabout2, UFO, mariesnowgoose, reiverlad, st3v3, BOTCANU, myvanwy, kensowerby, alan1958, andyjanet, MartinFife, Charlynch, Makzine, Tonybvi, mikejay, The laird, Greengrass, korky, wildebus, marchie, Moonraker 2, 2cv, rustydog, ajb70, clarkpeacock, colinm, Wully, Tim120, zzr1400tim, Chip, jacquigem, jann, Topmast, ricc, Monkeybrand, Mobilvetta, Neckender, Dezi, aross, Steve and Julie, Admin, Canalsman, amcjam, saxonborg, RSD7a, Glass man, tobym, maureenandtom, V1nny, Obanboy666, smg, iqofafish, jeanette, kevlakes, Wardy73, Mberry, Wooie1958, horlicks, GMJ, walpeter, scampa, Rolyan57, Heppy, davep10000, Fisherman, Livotlout, Bouydog, Thistle, Simoncu, MikeRS, Val54, Grappelli2, Di1234, G and T, jagmanx, jimbojetsetuk, Rumour, Fazerloz, Alun100, Pudsey Bear, gripseven, Drover, Ram Jam, specky4eyes, barge1914, longtoedsloth, TissyD, hank, QFour, flying kipper, Pauljenny, Nabsim, GinaRon, Linda, tribute11, GeoffL, noah and nelly, Mikecoo, Ed on Toast, landie50, iandsm, Gerry Attrick, Rod, RoaminRog, ironman, HurricaneSmith, jennyp19, roadroamer, trevexess, Andys, The Jacks, hamsterberg27, Polar Bear, gabby82, helmit, ChrisInNotts, Chico60, hanger18, CuckooChaser, Sharon the Cat, winks, exwindsurfer, fiona b, Debroos, ega95jch, sinner, DTF, NeilyG, Darnsarf, number14, petermotorhome, Sammy Swift, merl, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, Chebeag, james1508, Okta, Ex Greeny, regnarts, mike w, yorkslass, adriahome, alwaysared, lthoel2, antiqueman, Quiddle, Richard Wasteney, Glandwr, ian234, DAVEY, davef, harrow, andyt362, kingfisher1, ton27, shortcircuit, pj650, Rosehip, britcoms, linkshouse, Owen M, 1807truckman, Benylin, Gasdave, WingNut, Peisinoe, RJH, prioryi, johnmac185, Nikeboro, BKCharles, Adriafan, stonedaddy, Mickrick, Bubble, groyne, itsmeagain, Peggydog, Gwynne, Steve Mac, agm62, Andylynne, TerryD, Illumication, marymary, tripper, REC, bjh, edina, rjmurchie, paulhelenwilko, GlosFamily, siamesesal, wildWozza, Moocher, Millie Master, The Raptor, Adam C, RegnVal, MrU, Buzzard, bessiebumble, Zigisla, Goggles, AdriaTwin, Andrewhr, Mountain, Frosty0558, vtwinner, Caz, Cie, mick n jules, VandA, TonyandJo, Redcallaway1, IanJ, Matchlock, SquirrellCook, Pandaman2020, adriandp, Rapido9, netcommz, rottiontour, Old Man Down, Tezza33, marsden, 2buy4rob, RoadTrek Boy,
Back