Banned.

And another from August 2021. It also mentions back as far as 2013 there were problems of this nature.

It's in a lot of different papers Marie. It's even in the Sun, now you don't get much classier than that do you! :unsure:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::poop:

They can publish the "article" all over social meedja, or the War Street Journal, or the Timbuctoo Times, or even that sh*t fest of lies and propaganda they call X as much as they like, it still won't turn Scarborough, Whitby and Cayton into the entire nation of England... :cool:

And another from August 2021. It also mentions back as far as 2013 there were problems of this nature.

Thing is, there's a helluva lot more British people with campervans and mohos travelling about since the pandemic and the aftermath; the big rise in the cost of living, the hassle of going over to (and staying in) Europe (the B word), overseas travel in general, etc. etc.

So the growth in popularity was always going to cause problems, but mostly because the UK has never been geared up for campers and mohos in the same way as they are across the Channel.

The infrastructure to cope with the extra vehicles has been virtually non-existent. Hence the recent establishment of CAMpRA ... 🤷‍♀️

You also have to take note (it's actually stated in black and white in this latest over-sensationalised "news item") of the fact that local councillors in that neck of the woods (North Yorks coast) are also campsite owners. Vested interests and all that.

Also remember that day trippers and other visitors can be just as guilty - often even more than camper vans! - of being filthy, dirty, inconsiderate b*gg*rs, whatever mode of transport they choose to arrive in!

Last edited:
Are we all not sure it's nothing to do with dwindling membership of the two big clubs...
Increased motorhome/ campervan ownership and less members dose not run well.....
Just a thought when reading the vehicles should be 6 mtrs apart for safety reasons....
By the fire service my arse....it's a camc ruling not used by anyone else.
So who's been talking to the council...

Are we all not sure it's nothing to do with dwindling membership of the two big clubs...
Increased motorhome/ campervan ownership and less members dose not run well.....
Just a thought when reading the vehicles should be 6 mtrs apart for safety reasons....
By the fire service my arse....it's a camc ruling not used by anyone else.
So who's been talking to the council...

Article goes on to say ....
"Coun Keane Duncan, the executive member for highways, said: “We are not anti-campervan but there are issues that we need to address and I know that local councillors of all political parties up and down the coast that own campsites are supporting what we’re doing.

It's there in black and white. Councillors that own campsites, that's who 🤷‍♀️

Typical, keep blaming the new guys. This was happening a long time before Covid struck. The car park by the marina was always rammed and looking like a camp site. AND, motorhomers dodging through the gate to the marina to use the facilities, that are paid for by the boat owners. It really is disingenuous to blame those new to the game!
It’s not disengenious and it’s really naive to pretend that some newcomers aren’t responsible for many of the issues. Let’s put it this way…

Go back quite a bit before Covid. Generally this didn’t happen, despite what you claim. You hardly saw a campervan in a pub car park. On a public car park there was an occasional one tucked away in the corner. On a wild camping spot if you rocked up and it was busy you moved on. There was almost never the issues that some places are now experiencing. Look at Helmsley as an example; brilliant stopover, lost during Covid, never ever a problem before.

Scarborough, Sandsend, Whitby etc have all increased massively in the last 4 years. Ridiculously so. Those camping before didn’t want to be in a line of 100 vans for weeks on end, so moved on. They still don’t want that so find alternative places.

So yes, a lot of those causing these problems are newbies within the last few years. Covid campers; they were sold a ridiculous dream by greedy salesmen, and many come from a generation so entitled that they believed it.

It will not be long before Skipton goes the same way.
Yep, Skipton and Boroughbridge. People are deliberately and knowingly breaking the rules on maximum numbers, despite NYC putting it in writing. Then when it’s stopped, those doing it will blame everyone but themselves.

Last edited:
The battle continues .. Its been like it for years now. We used to enjoy Whitby out of season in the small section at the end of the main car park. £6 a night and there would be 3 or 4 MHs. Now motorhoming has got more popular and the first thing people want to know once they have bought their MH is where they can park next to the sea for nothing. We have friends in Barton on Sea. Great little place on the South Coast overlooking Isle of White. We have spent more than a few nights overlooking the sea but the locals have complained about the excessive numbers of Motorhomes and the mess and signs have gone up banning overnight parking. So now we just use CLs. Found one the other week £10 a night 🙂 Get your chairs out and have a BBQ.

Although we have come across Councillors with a vested interest in campsites before so it may well be true.
One example here;

I think David may have edited that line a bit Marie. :LOL:

Although we have come across Councillors with a vested interest in campsites before so it may well be true.

Quite likely, Rob, he's a bit of a monkey that way ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The NC500 campsite owners who are up in arms about the £40 "tourist charge" for campers/mohos is a fact.

https://wildcamping.co.uk/threads/highlands-news-new-£40-voluntary-campervan-pass-launched.98388/

https://wildcamping.co.uk/threads/h...ing-on-about-this-sort-of-thing-before.98594/

I have a sneaky suspicion that local councillor(s) in the North York coastal area are also campsite owners, or are at least "good friends" with those who are.... wasn't there a thread or threads about exactly this region (Scarborough etc.) and "nepotism" on the forum previously...?

Quite likely, Rob, he's a bit of a monkey that way ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The NC500 campsite owners who are up in arms about the £40 "tourist charge" for campers/mohos is a fact.

https://wildcamping.co.uk/threads/highlands-news-new-£40-voluntary-campervan-pass-launched.98388/

https://wildcamping.co.uk/threads/h...ing-on-about-this-sort-of-thing-before.98594/

I have a sneaky suspicion that local councillor(s) in the North York coastal area are also campsite owners, or are at least "good friends" with those who are.... wasn't there a thread or threads about exactly this region (Scarborough etc.) and "nepotism" on the forum previously...?
I remember those threads also Marie. There were indeed campsite owners on the council. It's not new, been going on for years and there have been many threads about it.

I think David may have edited that line a bit Marie. :LOL:

The trouble is, it’s easier to claim that those vested interests have been hidden and other councillors have been fooled, than admit that there sometimes is a real problem.

The trouble is, it’s easier to claim that those vested interests have been hidden and other councillors have been fooled, than admit that there sometimes is a real problem.

I wasn't claiming anything I just thought it would be worth suggesting that maybe a vested interest should be declared. One of our local councillors was sacked for not officially declaring a vested interest in a property development scheme.

Back