Alternative to Toilet Blue?

We use elsan green, no smell, chemical or other unless overloaded. Top tank as well - at 1/2 dose per litre. Apparently safe for sceptic tanks.

If worried about septic tanks maybe use non-bio.
We need a chemist/sewage professional to advise !
My thoughts are that natural toilets are biological and breakdown waste.
To me that suggests bio is best.
I look forward to a knowledge based answer

As regards Bio v non bio washing tablets.
Bio products contain enzymes; enzymes kill bacteria; septic tanks need bacteria to function
To me that suggests never use Bio products.

As far as Blue v Green goes - Look on the Thetford web site.
It says the Green is "Septic tank safe (Test ISO 11734)"
Septic tank is not mentioned on the Blue products.

I know it is only an inference, but ......

As regards Bio v non bio washing tablets.
Bio products contain enzymes; enzymes kill bacteria; septic tanks need bacteria to function
To me that suggests never use Bio products.

As far as Blue v Green goes - Look on the Thetford web site.
It says the Green is "Septic tank safe (Test ISO 11734)"
Septic tank is not mentioned on the Blue products.

I know it is only an inference, but ......

Having done some Googling there seem to be quite a few sources which would suggest that you are right.

This is important as using the wrong stuff could cost campsite owners a lot of money if we get it wrong. We actively encourage wildcampers to use sites every few days to empty their waste. It would be good if we could clarify this once and for all and make it known to all of our members what the proper procedures should be.

Encouraging using the wrong stuff (whatever that may be) would not make us look good at all.

Never thought of putting washing tabs in the loo - everyday is a school day on Wildcamping!
We have camped regularly at a local'ish small holding/farm site where they are very clear: Blue chemical kills their septic tank and costs them a lot, green is fine.
We are back there in a couple of weeks and I can ask them about bio vs non-bio washing tabs. May not be very scientific but will be based on their own experience! Sorry, not a lot of help to those who are looking for an answer today.

P.S. I hadn't realised that formaldehyde was no longer in the Blue but I had read it was very potent. Whilst we all knew it was bad for septic tanks, apparently it was also a real problem for sewage works, probably for the same reasons.

When i empty my bio tank there is no lumps but just dark water, no stink so bio tabs seem to do the trick, anyway i empty at home as never away more than 2 days or my cat sends out a search party.

Green sachets are about £1.20 each.

Bio washing tablets are about £0.50 each.

A cassette only needs changing every other day.

So for under £0.40 extra each day you can use a product that is purpose made and 100% septic tank safe.

So for under £0.40 extra each day you can use a product that is purpose made and 100% septic tank safe.
Filling a tank every 2 days, time to see the doc. 😂

I know its been discussed to death but we are off to the Scottish Islands on Tuesday and I have no "Blue" or anything else for that matter. Mrs D has a delivery from Tescos tomorrow so last chance to get something.

Is it Bio Tabs / Liquid you need to get? Which is best and anyone got a recommendation for something from Tescos please so she can add it on?
I get Elson organic toilet fluid, which is green, delivered direct from elson.co.uk

I get Elson organic toilet fluid, which is green, delivered direct from elson.co.uk

Is it pretty good at breaking the stuff down? it seems that there is some dispute as to which is right for sceptic tanks and which is not but I guess we know 100% that this stuff is ok for everything. I ordered the Bio tabs but might just have a ride up to the dealers and get one of them.

Just read the reviews on Amazon for Elson Green Organic fluid and most are praising it to the high heavens but then you have a fair few with one star stating its absolutely useless. :D

How can that be?

I’m struggling with your maths here, plus I can get bio tablets at 16p each?

Is it pretty good at breaking the stuff down? it seems that there is some dispute as to which is right for sceptic tanks and which is not but I guess we know 100% that this stuff is ok for everything. I ordered the Bio tabs but might just have a ride up to the dealers and get one of them.
I can only go on my experience, but I only ever use the Elsan organic green. It’s effective in that it breaks stuff down (especially if driving around) and seems to smell okay. I put it in the rinse tank.

It’s definitely suitable for organic/septic tanks. It’s not too expensive and is next day delivery on Amazon prime, or is stocked in many places.

I’m not knocking other solutions, but the above works for me, is effective and efficient.

Just read the reviews on Amazon for Elson Green Organic fluid and most are praising it to the high heavens but then you have a fair few with one star stating its absolutely useless. :D

How can that be?
Expectations and how it’s used.

Ah I see how you are working it now, on a daily basis the green stuff is 35p more expensive, but it’s 70p more expensive each time. Or with my bio tablets the green stuff is £1.04p more expensive each time 😳

I Thought it was if it used Formaldehyde and I dont think the Blue stuff does anymore. I stand to be corrected of course. I want to get the right stuff as its likely some disposal points we will use up in the :Scottish Isles will be sceptic tanks possibly.
This is from OAL article last year, some 'blues' are Formaldehyde free, but maybe not all, definatly not 'Blue Diamond, Blue', no mention of Elsan or Thetford, as they are most probably advertisers in MMM etc I'm think they would be keen to point out if they where Formaldehyde free.

I would also note, on Thetford website the 'Green' shows as "Septic tank safe (Test ISO 11734)", but 'Blue' doesn't state this.

Ah I see how you are working it now, on a daily basis the green stuff is 35p more expensive, but it’s 70p more expensive each time. Or with my bio tablets the green stuff is £1.04p more expensive each time 😳

But, even with your 16p tablets, if you only empty every third day the daily saving is only 35p.
You may think this level of saving justifies potentially damaging someone's septic tank to,
personally I don't .

Another money saving tip you may wish to consider is using both sides of the toilet paper.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back