Alternative to Toilet Blue?

There isn’t that much difference between bio and non bio washing powder/liquid in terms of damage to the environment. Non bio won’t work in this application because it doesn’t contain the fat busting enzymes required to break the solids down enough to easily empty the cassette.

I think the non bio stuff in the clothes washing application without the enzymes is better for people with skin allergies, but higher temperatures are needed to do the same job because the fat busting enzymes aren’t there.

Personally, I can’t stand the blue stuff, it makes me gag while emptying 🤮, with bio I find the smell way more acceptable.

Another reason for me is that I wouldn’t feel comfortable emptying a cassette down a toilet if it had the blue stuff in it because I dread to think what it contains even though formaldehyde has been taken out.

If worried about septic tanks maybe use non-bio.
We need a chemist/sewage professional to advise !
My thoughts are that natural toilets are biological and breakdown waste.
To me that suggests bio is best.
I look forward to a knowledge based answer

I’m no chemist/sewage professional but I spent a lot of time in our last van on an airfield that had showers, toilets etc and a septic tank. I asked the farmer that owned the place if I could empty my cassette with bio directly into the tank (removable lid). He said it was fine and I did so for years.

He allowed hunters onto the farm in return for spoils and once in a while he’d throw a dead rabbit into the tank, he told me it kept the tank active. It never needed to be pumped out!

One bio tab works 100% in mine, kids use the camping loo paper but i can say its rubbish, never tried bagging it but it comes out the cassette neck ok and down my outside garage loo, no stink.
Bever ever put toilet blue into a septic tank as it stops it working, bio tabs only.

Let us know if after this trip if you still want to use the ‘blue stuff’, it would be interesting to know.

I will. To be honest the blue stuff we used to get a few years back was great but the last couple we have had were rubbish although I do wonder if its because we dont move around as much so it doesnt get sloshed about.

We aim (Ha Ha) to empty our cassette on a daily basis.
Ok sometimes 2 days rarely 3.
Is that enough time for the bio to work ? I ensure the cassette is MT, rinse it with water then re -locate it for further use. Yes in theory bio may be better but in practice ?

Is it bio?
Been using it for years now 1 cassette cap measure + 1ltr of water keeps inside of cassette clean as well. Also good for laundry (Think they may have changed the container) We usually buy 6 at a time

20151117_213719.jpg

Last edited:
Is that enough time for the bio to work ? I ensure the cassette is MT, rinse it with water then re -locate it for further use. Yes in theory bio may be better but in practice ?

I wish we could empty our cassette daily, but certainly on a weekend basis it does tho job(by). 😎

I use green soap, does not help against bad smells but the cassette is always shiny inside. Is environmentally friendly and cheap.

It would be really interesting, at least to this thread to know what the active ingredient is??

I think the longest we have made a cassette last is a week when we were bereft of service points. Its a 20 (could be 23) litre bench cassette though. Its ok if you have an easy place to empty but not always the case and especially where we are heading next week.

No hold to its about 3 qtrs full, bio requires a few richard the thirds to get going, mine lasts for weeks, cut down your eating far to much. 😂

We only use bio washing tablets, cheapest we can, Aldi or Morrisons. One tablet or two if it's going to be few days. We also buy very basic loo roll (not quilted etc) and that breaks down a fair amount, certainly enough not to make it a problem emptying.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back