After the 'Goodish' news in W Wales, there's this from N Wales

The sine says no camping, but as like me in not but just resting as rule 91 h way code.
But i do find it disgusting that folk empty the bog in carparks ditches and beaches.
A camera sys would be better placed with n plates picked up and a big fine sent to them.
Also a 24hr rule on staying & say a 5 van rule in any 24 hrs.

I accept that some motorhomers do dump their toilet waste but what gets my goat is no one ever mentions the much higher volume of cars who's inhabitants often have no choice but to go outdoors, and they never think of bringing a shovel!😡

Disappointing reading but down to the inconsiderate minority, I suspect.

Possibly, but there are inconsiderate dog walkers who don’t pick up their dogs mess, car drivers who amongst other things leave their rubbish behind them. For me this is all about lack of joined up thinking, and simply a poor attitude towards us by some. The fact is when councils behave like this they simply move what they regard as a problem elsewhere, and the fewer places left are put under more pressure. We should not be viewed as a nuisance, but there sadly are some numpties amongst us. But there are numpties everywhere, and most of them don’t drive motorhomes.

I accept that some motorhomers do dump their toilet waste but what gets my goat is no one ever mentions the much higher volume of cars who's inhabitants often have no choice but to go outdoors, and they never think of bringing a shovel!😡
Or this.
catapult.jpg

Disappointing reading but down to the inconsiderate minority, I suspect.

Or that they just don't want ANYONE there who is not local?

I was on Holiday in North Wales with my GF and we were in either Conway Bay or Llandudno (probably the latter) and in a shop. Two old girls behind the counter and as soon as they heard us talking they suddenly reverted to speaking Welsh and no English understood :(

Clearly unwelcome and I made a point (lying though) of saying loud enough so they would hear how I would have bought a certain - rather expensive - thing in the shop but needed a bit of info and shame there was no one to ask who would understand.

Ah well, dyna yw bywyd

Or that they just don't want ANYONE there who is not local?

I was on Holiday in North Wales with my GF and we were in either Conway Bay or Llandudno (probably the latter) and in a shop. Two old girls behind the counter and as soon as they heard us talking they suddenly reverted to speaking Welsh and no English understood :(

Clearly unwelcome and I made a point (lying though) of saying loud enough so they would hear how I would have bought a certain - rather expensive - thing in the shop but needed a bit of info and shame there was no one to ask who would understand.

Ah well, dyna yw bywyd
You get that here is some places, we were bypassed in a small pub/hotel in Ballyshannon down south, i went up and ask the bar man why we were being bypassed, he replyed you are from the black north and we dont serve you lot down here, bit silly and he did not know if we were republicans or ulstermen/wemen/unionists.

I love the way we motorhome owners try and offset a problem with us, making it a problem with others. The problem is not wild camping, it is the freeloading element who stay for days, treating it like a comp site. And staying for days on end, they have to empty the loo somewhere, but where? Obviously in the dunes! Yes, car owners leave rubbish, they may have a wee, but I don't accecpt that they squat down for a poo at the edge of a carpark!

We (collectively) are at fault, because we don't police ourselves. None of us should be parking up for days on end, a couple of nights? Yes. But we have seen vans parked in a layby while on holiday with the kids, they were there for the week we were there. Awning rolled out, chairs and table, BBQ! Wild camping should be discreet. it shouldn't impact the local area.

Simple to introduce a 24 hr rule, first day after that £100 fine increasing by 20% each day after that, one week and lift the van to a compound, £500 release fee rissing, and if not picked up in 3 mths then sell at auction.
This should only be dropped if a medical cert proven why you were not there to collect.

I love the way we motorhome owners try and offset a problem with us, making it a problem with others. The problem is not wild camping, it is the freeloading element who stay for days, treating it like a comp site. And staying for days on end, they have to empty the loo somewhere, but where? Obviously in the dunes! Yes, car owners leave rubbish, they may have a wee, but I don't accecpt that they squat down for a poo at the edge of a carpark!

We (collectively) are at fault, because we don't police ourselves. None of us should be parking up for days on end, a couple of nights? Yes. But we have seen vans parked in a layby while on holiday with the kids, they were there for the week we were there. Awning rolled out, chairs and table, BBQ! Wild camping should be discreet. it shouldn't impact the local area.
I have seen car owners twice having a crap in a carpark. The last time was in Banavie, just outside fort William last summer. I also witnessed a woman car driver squatting down for a pee in Inverewe car park, where they now provide an elsan point and freshwater, the toilets were closed at that time. Those folk you are talking about are a minority, and it should not be up to us to police anything or anyone. Putting up barriers saves having to apply for a TRO, and is seldom a justification for a few idiots overstaying their welcome. I have seen barriers erected in carparks were we had visited over the years, were I had never witnessed or heard of any such behaviour.
I find it strange that a place like Hawick can sustain large numbers of motorhomes over the past three years with hardly any issues whatsoever, whilst other places seem hell bent on stopping us from visiting their areas. For me in most cases these measures are unjustified, and are the result of a total bias towards us.

Last edited:
I have seen car owners twice having a crap in a carpark. The last time was in Banavie, just outside fort William last summer. I also witnessed a woman car driver squatting down for a pee in Inverewe car park, where they now provide an elsan point and freshwater, the toilets were closed at that time. Those folk you are talking about are a minority, and it should not be up to us to police anything or anyone. Putting up barriers saves having to apply for a TRO, and is seldom a justification for a few idiots overstaying their welcome. I have seen barriers erected in carparks were we had visited over the years, were I had never witnessed or heard of any such behaviour.
I find it strange that a place like Hawick can sustain large numbers of motorhomes over the past three years with hardly any issues whatsoever, whilst other places seem hell bent on stopping us from visiting their areas. For me in most cases these measures are unjustified, and are the result of a total bias towards us.
I have no doubt it goes on, but not in the quantities that motorhome owners do when they empty cassettes. We have seen this a number of times. The first two times, I challenged them and was threatened, after that we just reported them. I still maintain that we are worse than car owners! And there is the trouble with us! The longer we make excuses and don't accept we have a problem, the longer it will go on and places like this will be closed to us!

Oh yes they do. And in fields by lay-bys and in woods.
It's been happening since before the increase in motorhomes and the general increase in day trippers since covid.
I would like to see your research on that! It would actually be impossible to tell! But if what you say is right, where does the toilet paper come from? Where does the quantity come from, if not a cassette?

I have no doubt it goes on, but not in the quantities that motorhome owners do when they empty cassettes. We have seen this a number of times. The first two times, I challenged them and was threatened, after that we just reported them. I still maintain that we are worse than car owners! And there is the trouble with us! The longer we make excuses and don't accept we have a problem, the longer it will go on and places like this will be closed to us!
We have a problem, whilst others who abuse facilities are free to continue using these facilities we are not. What excuses, no one on here reckons that all within our community are blameless, but we alone bear the brunt of measures to stop us from enjoying our pastime. The fact is this country lacks a proper infrastructure, and a willingness to support our needs. I am not condoning in any way inappropriate disposal of waste. But there is a total lack of facilities for us to do so appropriately. In northern Scotland times are changing, with new facilities being opened on a weekly basis. But this is not symptomatic of what’s going on in most parts of the country.
When you consider how much we add to the U.K. economy and how little we receive in return, it’s appalling. In this country more is spent preventing us from enjoying our pastime, than providing what we require. Whilst in many other parts of the world they have a more tolerant approach than we do. Compare us to Europe, the comparison says it all. Hence why many on here cross the channel rather than stay here with their vans.
As I said earlier, all kinds of idiots use carparks, but most of them don’t drive motorhomes.
Finally I have never witnessed a Motorhome owner emptying a cassette inappropriately, nor have I ever seen the contents of a cassette anywhere.
However I have witnessed cassettes being emptied in public toilets, something I don’t do.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back