A glimmer of hope for staycations ...

We cancelled the ones we had earlier n the year with the Caravan & Motorhome Club and SWMBO has re-booked some for later in the year just in case. We have used CL sites before but have had a few bad experiences with ones that asked for a deposit. Last one we went to was a grass field with a small patch of the black stuff you get when they scrape the tarmac off. That was the hard standing. Think they just put it over the grass. 40 pound deposit was recovered after I told her what I thought of her campsite. They also advertised a shower for clients use. This was a large Porta Loo with a shower head fastened to the roof and an electric shower fastened to the wall. It was also the campsite toilet.

On the MF site they are booking ferries with the intention of going to Spain this summer. Wonder what the Spanish are going to think of that. Self isolation ( Whats that ) no travel insurance. They must be out of their tiny minds.

If stage 3 does come off (and its a massive IF IMO) and there are is limited availability (talk of reducing the number of pitches) they will certainly be hard to come by if everyone is holidaying in the UK and it happens in July.

I think it will be CL sites or wilding for me if we are lucky enough to get to do either. Choice of destination I think would need to be carefully considered to avoid the crowds. I'm just not sure it will happen though.
Problem with wilding will be water and emptying if local public toilets continue to be closed, unless CLs make their facilities available for a price...which I very much doubt.

After the recent tv interviews with east coast councillors saying keep out full stop .even day visitors .I can't see sites opening . for some time . toilet closed .parking restrictions ,

So, there are huge differences of opinion regarding return to school June 1st...kids can't keep apart then back home with vulnerable granny. There looks like an imminent stampede to beaches/beauty spots this very weekend, with the prospect of hundreds crowding local shops. For weeks now I've seen people patiently queuing 2m apart outside a supermarket before bundling into each other when they eventually get in t !!! Some very carefully wearing gloves but gleefully handling products/trolleys/keypads then rubbing there nose on the way out !!! Oh, then they load the contaminated shopping into the boot, open the door of car then remove the gloves after using the steering wheel to help them get in !! I'd feel much less at risk of covid at a well organized CL or campsite (probably smaller independent) than any of the above !!! Maja

Surely any camping in any form will be classed as mass gathering .And will be one of the last things released from lock down .Or should I say should be.
And how could they open toilet and showers.
They would need to be cleaned after ever use.

They won’t open the toilets and showers you will have to use your own facilities.
None of the communal facilities will be available, other than chemical waste and water, and social distancing measures will be put in place.
Thats what I was told during a telephone conversation when on to the C&MC.
I reckon you will see campsites opening end of June early July, unless the figures rise, in which case we will be back to square one.
Eventually we will have to try and get back to some kind of normality. Waiting for a vaccine could take 10-15 years. Staying at home sitting it out will then simply not be an option. I hope we see a vaccine next year, but from what I have been reading and watching ,it’s not looking likely.

Last edited:
One of my pet hates is the way the word “staycation” is now used. The term originated in N America, where very few people go abroad for their vacation and it meant staying at home and taking day trips out instead going away. Our wonderful journalists have hijacked the word and now use it in a pejorative way to describe UK holidays as a second rate, second choice, holiday that you might be forced to take. I for one enjoy my UK holidays and thoroughly resent their depiction as a last resort* choice. I enjoy foreign travel but when I travel the UK I do not believe it is any less of a holiday/vacation and it doesn’t need a misused word to describe it.

* clever pun but entirely unintentional

It certainly makes sense that when sites reopen they won’t be opening toilets/showers. Maybe some who never use their van facilities will realise that it’s actually nicer than dragging yourself across to site facilities.
Perhaps we need a system similar to New Zealand where a motorhome can be classified as “self contained”, also enabling stays in places where it’s otherwise prohibited.

Oxford are talking about vaccine in Sept if all goes to plan :)

I hate to be a killjoy but I reckon that all of the talk off a vaccine next year is very optimistic. The oxford vaccine apparently has a 7% chance of being successful, but there are others trying using different methods.
The time may come when the damage to our economy and our mental health will become more important than C19. We must up the testing massively and if it comes to this, we have to find ways of living with C19. Locking ourselves up for years can not happen, it’s simply not viable.

Last edited:
HIV was feared to become more widespread in the 80s. In this country you rarely hear about it now. There is no vacine, but there is treatment. It is no longer the killer it was. Treatments for Covid 19 are being sought.

It certainly is around Dorset,nearly all our customers have either downsized or completely got rid of touring areas,can't speak for the rest of the country but I'm sure there's a lot more money to be made off statics and a lot less hassle than campers checking in and out constantly.

The campsites turn into static holiday caravans and then when you have screwed as much money as you can then you do it all over again and replace them with park homes, I speak from bitter experience.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back