Your opinion ,will it work??

chrishunter

My idea is to purchase a 1100watt generator from machine mart,set it up in the van against the back door (dont want to put it outside)and feed the exhaust outside.It`s going to run a 700watt microwave from argos as we never go on sites. Now reading the small print it says 1200watts input and 700watt output,question is will it work.With not having any experience with generators what else can i power with it.

Smell of petrol and heat in the vehicle. Nooooo IMO.
And noise.
Ps we a!most never use Ehu. 2 x 100amphour batteries.
We find a camp/dutch oven, Ridge monkey, Frying pan and 2 saucepans plenty (and kettle). All on gas.
Sometimes 1 item only used
Ps never really used m wave even in house.

A search on the web returns 2 figures for the cookworks 700w microwave power consumption.

1 says 1150w another says 700w

I have a 1kw generator and my microwave says it’s 700w, and it runs fine.

What I would say however is the generator will get hot, and piped exhausts make that worse.

I had the Clarke 1100w genny and I have to say it’s was very noisy and unreliable, I now have a Honda eu10i and it’s worth the extra money (paid £625) much quieter and much less vibration and much more reliable power supply.

Mines now mounted on the bike rack and when it’s running you can hear it but only in the rear of the van (bathroom in my case) in the living room or bedroom you’d not know it’s running.

last time i had a genny ,i mounted it on heavy runners in a side cupboard so it slid out when needed ; i would park with that side away from neighbours . all gennys smell -exhaust ,oil , petrol , so best off outside

We had a 1kw Honda generator and it wouldn’t run a 700watt microwave in our old van. But, have you looked at non microwave options? What do you want to cook in it? There are almost always cheaper and better alternatives to running a generator and microwave.
And running a genny indoors, even if the exhaust pipe pokes outside seems to me to be a recipe for disaster…..

I recently posted a thread about mounting a generator on the bike rack Here but you’d be better with a generator and chain / padlock unless like me you follow the BTCC and or are looking to spend a long time wild camping where theft is a big issue.

Most gen sets are air cooled and require to be left outside, the heat generated inside will boil you never mind the food, there is also a chance of piston seizure.

We had a 1kw Honda generator and it wouldn’t run a 700watt microwave in our old van. But, have you looked at non microwave options? What do you want to cook in it? There are almost always cheaper and better alternatives to running a generator and microwave.
And running a genny indoors, even if the exhaust pipe pokes outside seems to me to be a recipe for disaster…..
And possibly an insurance disaster too

Reminds me of a time about twenty years ago I was working with this woman upstairs in her house on some IT stuff and there was a power cut. No matter she says and goes off and comes back with a Genny. I'd never seen one before and clearly she didn't really understand how they work as she fires it up in the bedroom / office 🤣 literally within seconds the place was full of smoke and fumes. :D

I have been in an RV that has an internal Genny though housed somewhere down the back and it started with an. Ignition key and starter motor in the cab. Also I know someone who has a gas powered one. Think it cost them about £4k and they hardly use it

We went to look at a Hymen a few years ago as Liz reckoned they were nice vans, it had a genny built in under the floor somewhere, and the seller said all you have to do is press this button and it fired right up, you could just about hear it, but I didn't like the van.

Most yank vans have them outside under the floor where they can get cooled, along with the gas getting away, to run a good sized m wave it will require a 2.5kw unit as most run at about 1200w and double that on start up for a split second and may trip a smaller unit.
Much better to use a small table op gas oven, yes it takes longer to cook but so what, that's what I have and cartridges are easy to get.
gas oven.png

Almost every van we've bought has had a microwave in it as we wildcamp we never use them, I wish we did as Liz can't cope with the heat of cooking even in winter, but with only 85w of solar not sure what the best option might be to make her life better.

Reminds me of a time about twenty years ago I was working with this woman upstairs in her house on some IT stuff and there was a power cut. No matter she says and goes off and comes back with a Genny. I'd never seen one before and clearly she didn't really understand how they work as she fires it up in the bedroom / office 🤣 literally within seconds the place was full of smoke and fumes. :D

I have been in an RV that has an internal Genny though housed somewhere down the back and it started with an. Ignition key and starter motor in the cab. Also I know someone who has a gas powered one. Think it cost them about £4k and they hardly use it

Many boats have inboard generators as well Barry. Usually mounted in the engine compartment.

When it comes down to it I suppose it's just another engine and petrol tank as long as it is vented outboard. I wouldn't personally though.

Almost every van we've bought has had a microwave in it as we wildcamp we never use them, I wish we did as Liz can't cope with the heat of cooking even in winter, but with only 85w of solar not sure what the best option might be to make her life better.
You would require a few of lipo batts and a lot of solar to recharge, they cannot toast bread so out for me in the mornings, sad I know. :(

Microwaves usually only run for 2-3 minutes Kev. Fit an invertor and run the engine whilst the microwave does it's stuff.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back