Yet another fairly positive article re Scotland Motorhome facilities

Sorry to hear about the chemo faze. I hope you are coping well, I know it can be horrible.
Take care Faze.
It was now several years ago the chemo and all is well at the moment, thanks though. I was given up to 4 years at the start but now coming up to 9 years in Aug. Maybe I am too rotten or stubborn to die. ;) ;)

Last edited:
Scotland is awash with places to park up, there are thousands not listed on here in the pois. But what’s lacking is chemical waste facilities. Some campsites will allow you to use their facilities for a fee. The CCC allow this in some sites for £7.20 for members only. (Currently suspended due to Covid) They allow a four hour stay were you can have a shower empty your cassette and replenish water. I have written twice to the other mob, but it’s like talking to a brick wall on this one. However things seem to be moving with them and hopefully in the next year or two they will do likewise.

But Whats required are more public facilities, and thankfully things will be improving in the coming years. This cannot come quickly enough, and it will go a long way to alleviating problems of waste disposal.
CAMpRA are working on this with Scottish MH groups who are making progress in discussions with authorities. There are grants available to Scottish communities to spend on things like MH service points the need for which is being appreciated. Things could be moving in the right direction...hopefully, but painfully slowly, however Covid is providing more impetus.

CAMpRA are working on this with Scottish MH groups who are making progress in discussions with authorities. There are grants available to Scottish communities to spend on things like MH service points the need for which is being appreciated. Things could be moving in the right direction...hopefully, but painfully slowly, however Covid is providing more impetus.
I think with austerity, local authorities struggling to meet their legal obligations a lot of proposal will fail,,,,,the irony is the local authorities have always had access to eu development funds like the esf but chosen not too,,,,not really served the electorate well

To be fair before I had chemo everything used to bite me something terrible and since chemo i have hardly had any bites at all. Every cloud has a silver lining. Might seem a bit of a extreme way of stopping bites but its worked for me. (y) and long may it continue to do so.
Odd you should say that......exactly the same for my OH. In the past they mainly left me alone. Not any more :(

.Article in P&J today with opposite slant but if you read complete article it has some counterviews that call for more aire type facilities to accommodate us.https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/2356148/communities-in-despair-as-dirty-camping-spirals-out-of-control/

Communities in despair as ‘dirty camping’ spirals out of control
by Susy Macaulay and Michelle Henderson
July 23, 2020, 6:55 am
© DC Thomson
Margaret Meek, co-founder of NC500 The Land Weeps

SPONSORED: Follow the official advice and enjoy a summer of family fun in Scotland | Press and Journal

SPONSORED: Follow the official advice and enjoy a summer of family fun in Scotland | Press and Journal
Summer is here and people from across the country can enjoy the many attractions that we have on ...
Click here to read more
Sponsored by UK Government
info-ayl.png

Tensions have increased between locals and campers along the North Coast 500 route as freedom-seeking staycationers camp wherever they can and leave unwelcome traces of their visit.
The visitors are camping in lay-bys, cemeteries, play parks, common grazings, ancient monuments and were even spotted on a golf course.
While acknowledging the importance of tourism to their economy, locals are in despair at the volume of litter and human waste they leave behind.
Pressure from tourism on communities along the North Coast 500 is nothing new, but this year it has reached levels leading one commenter on social media to say ‘unwelcoming is the new norm’ and another to post ‘I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than do the NC500’.
One crofter said he has been forced to close his gate to cars and campers due to the anti-social behaviour of some visitors, who he says have left litter, stolen wood and shouted abuse at his elderly parents.
Another resident has posted, ‘it’s depressing living here’, while others say they are scared to leave their homes because of the risk of Covid-19 being present.
A new social media group, NC500 The Land Weeps has been set up by residents in north-west Sutherland to collate evidence of the problem to show to politicians and destination promoters like the North Highland Initiative and Visit Scotland to argue for investment in better infrastructure and facilities.
Kinlochbervie resident Margaret Meek is one of the page’s founders.
She told of campers being seen at Oldshoremore cemetery in Sutherland, and tents spotted in a play park in Caithness.
She said: “Campervans and tents started coming here during lockdown, but since July 15 the numbers have exploded.
“The demand for accommodation far outstrips supply.

“Some campsites aren’t open, some are only open to motorhome owners with their own waste facilities, some like ours in Kinlochbervie are very small.
“Once the campsites are full, they start using lay-bys, beaches, anywhere they can find.
“There are even parking apps directing them to park for free in cemeteries and war memorials.”
Mrs Meek said the risk of Covid has added extra stress to the situation.
“My husband and I are in our 60s and asthmatic, and we have decided not to go out any more.”
Some visitors have been using the group to protest that there are many responsible travellers who contribute to the local economy and use sites responsibly.

One wrote: “You are not giving a fair case here when you clump everyone in the bracket of freeloaders, free campers… I think it’s sad to see some of the comments on here, I understand the grief as the whole UK is suffering the same but to be so vigilante is really sad.”
Another said: “I completely disagree with demonising folk in camper vans and motorhomes, most of whom are extremely responsible and tidy up after themselves.”
But on Duncansby Head, in Caithness, irresponsible camping on the common grazings is seriously worrying the crofters whose livelihood relies on the livestock there.
Grazings clerk Don Mowat said they’re at the end of their tether.
“The grazings is privately owned ground which is totally enclosed with a flock of over a thousand sheep and lambs grazing over it.

“The Scottish outdoor access code clearly says people should not camp on enclosed ground containing livestock, which Duncansby clearly is.
“There are no toilet facilities anywhere near the area and they are defecating all over the grazings and making no attempt to bury it, absolutely disgusting and selfish behaviour.
“It is a serious animal welfare issue as we are food producers and if our lambs are lying in the middle of all this human waste, goodness knows what germs could get back into the food chain.”
Caithness councillor Raymond Bremner said it was important not to think all campers and motorhome owners are irresponsible.

“Many of them are seasoned, responsible and welcomed travellers with a lot to offer a fragile economy, a fragile economy that has found the NC500 and all it has to offer a real hope for many local communities both in terms of income and the provision of jobs.”
The North Highland Initiative (NHI) developed the NC500 route five years ago.
Chairman David Whiteford said: “We welcome the safe reopening of tourism in Scotland by the Scottish Government.
“NHI will continue working to help deliver a responsible balance between economic recovery and public safety.
“We believe that the next essential step is for the Scottish Government to adopt more nuanced messaging to ease anxieties across the country – especially in Highlands.

“We’re now looking to the Scottish Government and VisitScotland to implement national and local campaigns to allay anxiety amongst local Highland communities and deliver a positive, uplifting message as we take safe, measured steps to emerge from lockdown.”
VisitScotland’s regional leadership director Chris Taylor deplored the irresponsible behaviour.
He said: “There is no place for this type of behaviour in Scottish tourism.
“We are proud of our beautiful country and for anyone to behave in this way – whether it’s locals or visitors – does nothing to help with our reputation of being a warm and welcoming nation with a fantastic environment for everyone to enjoy.”
Campers to be turned away
© DC Thomson
The Merkinch Nature Reserve in Inverness.
Keepers of an Inverness beauty spot are being forced to turn campers away after human waste and rubbish was dumped in the area.
Dozens of campervans and wild campers descend on Merkinch Local Nature Reserve and the parking area at the South Kessock turning circle each year, enjoying the picturesque views of the Beauly Firth, the Black Isle and the Kessock Bridge.
However, as holiday makers begin to venture north for the holidays, officials are being forced to turn people away after the area was left strewn with rubbish.
Caroline Snow, project manager at the reserve said “the few are spoiling it for the many”.

She said: “It keeps happening. There are campervans parking so the buses can’t get round, people leaving their litter and they are just going and using the reserve as a toilet. It’s not a campsite.
“It’s very disappointing but I think there are a lot of sites, for example the North Coast 500 page and lots of campervan pages and apps telling you where you can go and park for the night and I know we are on a lot of those. “
“It’s a terrible shame but I don’t know what else we can do.”
Officials are now investing in new signs to be erected across the reserve and at the turning circle in an effort to dissuade campers from settling down for the evening.
Mrs Snow has also contacted the police asking them to increase patrols in the area and move people on.
She added: “We have asked the police to ask people to move on and to take it into their patrol.
“I have also ordered signs which are costing a lot of money. We had signs up before but people ripped them down.”

Dirty pigs here to,seen a camp table where a barby had been left to burn through it over night,beer tins every where,then folk wonder why places get closed of .
Mostly folk in cars do this but the big finger always points to us.
me to you,iv been can a few times , but never left one, black bag then home,ok if in doubt. bin it. ok.pj. ive bin there? ok.

Plenty of allegations. No evidence presented. Example; where is the app that shows... "There are even parking apps directing them [us?] to park for free in cemeteries and war memorials.” Nice allegation - show me the app.

However:

"A new social media group, NC500 The Land Weeps has been set up by residents in north-west Sutherland to collate evidence of the problem to show to politicians and destination promoters like the North Highland Initiative and Visit Scotland".

If this initiative does actually uncover evidence of motorhomer guilt - then this will be a first and I'd love to see it. The Land Weeps iniative should be encouraged and will, I believe, show the innocence, gemerally, of motorhomers.

Or I'll be proved wrong - sometimes happens. But the evidence will be nice to see - for once.

Plenty of allegations. No evidence presented. Example; where is the app that shows... "There are even parking apps directing them [us?] to park for free in cemeteries and war memorials.” Nice allegation - show me the app.

However:

"A new social media group, NC500 The Land Weeps has been set up by residents in north-west Sutherland to collate evidence of the problem to show to politicians and destination promoters like the North Highland Initiative and Visit Scotland".

If this initiative does actually uncover evidence of motorhomer guilt - then this will be a first and I'd love to see it. The Land Weeps iniative should be encouraged and will, I believe, show the innocence, gemerally, of motorhomers.

Or I'll be proved wrong - sometimes happens. But the evidence will be nice to see - for once.

No doubt it will be full of anecdotal evidence it's motorhomes.

Campers, now there’s the problem.

We are grouped alongside such a wide and varied group, some of which we definitely don’t want to be grouped alongside. The tent brigade that created so many problems in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs are now as anticipated moving elsewhere. I wrote to them three years ago informing them that all they were doing was moving the problem elsewhere, and that’s exactly what has happened.

Most of these people don’t even know that we are almost totally self sufficient, we have everything we need to get by. The human waste is not stemming from us, yet we are grouped alongside those that behave like this.

However:

I agree lots of allegations little offered as concrete evidence Huttoft terrace being a good example, equally wrongdoers whether tents motorhomes and I bet the same applies to boat users. Let’s blame each other and assist the establishment divide and conquer

And that is ultimately where the discrimination starts, anti traveller anti anyone who lives full time or recreationally on the fringe introduction of PSPOs criminal justice bill land reform acts all designed to curtail “wild camping style” recreation.

Post battle of Beanfield the police wanted people out the county out of Wiltshire ...go to Dorset ,Cornwall etc on the borders the police wouldn’t let them in ...unfettered prejudice ......Who authorised Wiltshire police to give those instructions ? who in Cumbria police has took it upon themselves in previous years to stop the gypsies travelling to Appleby, and let’s not forget and it is legally important Appleby horsefair was decreed by royal charter James 2nd, held on private land too where the travellers reside.

Appleby may be the largest traveller gathering in England but the event attracts far more non traveller visitors to witness the bathing of the horses, farrier plying his trade and the uncooperative patient, the spectacle of the flash, trotting hoses shown off to potential buyers and deals done in seconds might not be everyone’s cuppa but an attraction even use the term tourist ,, local pubs do well, local b an bs booked months in advance at the fair itself food stalls, and entertainers like the late Billy Eagles.so why are the authorities wanting to ban it ,

Because it’s a fringe activity they don’t understand, exactly the same as wildcamping, I’m expecting answers telling me the crime and mess that is often left ,a lot of the crime is thought to be settled community moving in from places like Newcastle ....re the rubbish same accusations towards us lot....let’s forget Bournemouth beach in the summer

Rather than blame other groups it’s the establishment that ultimately we need to change

No doubt it will be full of anecdotal evidence it's motorhomes.

Caroline Snow, project manager at the reserve said ...

"There are campervans parking so the buses can’t get round, people leaving their litter and they are just going and using the reserve as a toilet."

The article is full of facts like that.

That's anecdotal evidence. It becomes fact because it's been said by somebody with authority (project manager of something or other) - but it becomes fact anyway as soon as it's written down. If a genuine survey takes place then not only can groups such as our own be exonerated or proven guilty but the true extent of the problems (if there are any) can be put right. More litter bins in the right places. Toilets where they can be used - not locked at night. And so it goes on. Thanks to Fisherman and Channa for putting things so clearly.

And if the survey is just plain wrong and full of prejudice then we have something concrete to enter into a debate about.

Why, midges have rights you know, they have as much right to be hear as you.
They don’t leave crap everywhere they go, or freeload in lay byes to miserable to pay their way. No we wont be banning midges apart from the east coast, where they ban everything, including us. Even the midges can’t survive there. :)

They do freeload...they have never sought permission or paid me for my blood that they have taken!

Communities in despair as ‘dirty camping’ spirals out of control
by Susy Macaulay and Michelle Henderson
July 23, 2020, 6:55 am
© DC Thomson

Summer is here and people from across the country can enjoy the many attractions that we have on ...
Click here to read more
Sponsored by UK Government
info-ayl.png

Tensions have increased between locals and campers along the North Coast 500 route as freedom-seeking staycationers camp wherever they can and leave unwelcome traces of their visit.
The visitors are camping in lay-bys, cemeteries, play parks, common grazings, ancient monuments and were even spotted on a golf course.
While acknowledging the importance of tourism to their economy, locals are in despair at the volume of litter and human waste they leave behind.
Pressure from tourism on communities along the North Coast 500 is nothing new, but this year it has reached levels leading one commenter on social media to say ‘unwelcoming is the new norm’ and another to post ‘I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than do the NC500’.
One crofter said he has been forced to close his gate to cars and campers due to the anti-social behaviour of some visitors, who he says have left litter, stolen wood and shouted abuse at his elderly parents.
Another resident has posted, ‘it’s depressing living here’, while others say they are scared to leave their homes because of the risk of Covid-19 being present.
A new social media group, NC500 The Land Weeps has been set up by residents in north-west Sutherland to collate evidence of the problem to show to politicians and destination promoters like the North Highland Initiative and Visit Scotland to argue for investment in better infrastructure and facilities.
Kinlochbervie resident Margaret Meek is one of the page’s founders.
She told of campers being seen at Oldshoremore cemetery in Sutherland, and tents spotted in a play park in Caithness.
She said: “Campervans and tents started coming here during lockdown, but since July 15 the numbers have exploded.
“The demand for accommodation far outstrips supply.

“Some campsites aren’t open, some are only open to motorhome owners with their own waste facilities, some like ours in Kinlochbervie are very small.
“Once the campsites are full, they start using lay-bys, beaches, anywhere they can find.
“There are even parking apps directing them to park for free in cemeteries and war memorials.”
Mrs Meek said the risk of Covid has added extra stress to the situation.
“My husband and I are in our 60s and asthmatic, and we have decided not to go out any more.”
Some visitors have been using the group to protest that there are many responsible travellers who contribute to the local economy and use sites responsibly.

One wrote: “You are not giving a fair case here when you clump everyone in the bracket of freeloaders, free campers… I think it’s sad to see some of the comments on here, I understand the grief as the whole UK is suffering the same but to be so vigilante is really sad.”
Another said: “I completely disagree with demonising folk in camper vans and motorhomes, most of whom are extremely responsible and tidy up after themselves.”
But on Duncansby Head, in Caithness, irresponsible camping on the common grazings is seriously worrying the crofters whose livelihood relies on the livestock there.
Grazings clerk Don Mowat said they’re at the end of their tether.
“The grazings is privately owned ground which is totally enclosed with a flock of over a thousand sheep and lambs grazing over it.

“The Scottish outdoor access code clearly says people should not camp on enclosed ground containing livestock, which Duncansby clearly is.
“There are no toilet facilities anywhere near the area and they are defecating all over the grazings and making no attempt to bury it, absolutely disgusting and selfish behaviour.
“It is a serious animal welfare issue as we are food producers and if our lambs are lying in the middle of all this human waste, goodness knows what germs could get back into the food chain.”
Caithness councillor Raymond Bremner said it was important not to think all campers and motorhome owners are irresponsible.

“Many of them are seasoned, responsible and welcomed travellers with a lot to offer a fragile economy, a fragile economy that has found the NC500 and all it has to offer a real hope for many local communities both in terms of income and the provision of jobs.”
The North Highland Initiative (NHI) developed the NC500 route five years ago.
Chairman David Whiteford said: “We welcome the safe reopening of tourism in Scotland by the Scottish Government.
“NHI will continue working to help deliver a responsible balance between economic recovery and public safety.
“We believe that the next essential step is for the Scottish Government to adopt more nuanced messaging to ease anxieties across the country – especially in Highlands.

“We’re now looking to the Scottish Government and VisitScotland to implement national and local campaigns to allay anxiety amongst local Highland communities and deliver a positive, uplifting message as we take safe, measured steps to emerge from lockdown.”
VisitScotland’s regional leadership director Chris Taylor deplored the irresponsible behaviour.
He said: “There is no place for this type of behaviour in Scottish tourism.
“We are proud of our beautiful country and for anyone to behave in this way – whether it’s locals or visitors – does nothing to help with our reputation of being a warm and welcoming nation with a fantastic environment for everyone to enjoy.”
Campers to be turned away
© DC Thomson
The Merkinch Nature Reserve in Inverness.
Keepers of an Inverness beauty spot are being forced to turn campers away after human waste and rubbish was dumped in the area.
Dozens of campervans and wild campers descend on Merkinch Local Nature Reserve and the parking area at the South Kessock turning circle each year, enjoying the picturesque views of the Beauly Firth, the Black Isle and the Kessock Bridge.
However, as holiday makers begin to venture north for the holidays, officials are being forced to turn people away after the area was left strewn with rubbish.
Caroline Snow, project manager at the reserve said “the few are spoiling it for the many”.

She said: “It keeps happening. There are campervans parking so the buses can’t get round, people leaving their litter and they are just going and using the reserve as a toilet. It’s not a campsite.
“It’s very disappointing but I think there are a lot of sites, for example the North Coast 500 page and lots of campervan pages and apps telling you where you can go and park for the night and I know we are on a lot of those. “
“It’s a terrible shame but I don’t know what else we can do.”
Officials are now investing in new signs to be erected across the reserve and at the turning circle in an effort to dissuade campers from settling down for the evening.
Mrs Snow has also contacted the police asking them to increase patrols in the area and move people on.
She added: “We have asked the police to ask people to move on and to take it into their patrol.
“I have also ordered signs which are costing a lot of money. We had signs up before but people ripped them down.”
Good luck getting your motorhome or camper van into Oldshoremore cemetery! See photo. I suspect they parked in the fairly large car park next to the toilet block. It's a beautiful spot and anyone who doesn't have a vested interest will welcome you.
Screenshot_2020-07-26-09-35-29-893_com.android.chrome.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back