winterising

Braveheart

Free Member
Anyone else forget to empty their water tanks! Whoops.
It was down to -5 last night.
I have little stalactites come from my taps.

Watch this page

Sad as it may sound I Have lists on my iPhone for the motorhome -
What to pack.
What to check, tyres, fluids etc.
What to do on my return, drop the water is top of the list.

First time I went away when I got it I forgot a multitude of items, since putting the lists on my phone I have not left anything at home.

Had to dump about 90 ltrs of water yesterday evening much to my dismay, we were away for Christmas so were stocked up on everything gas, water desie,l food etc but our heater would not start, it had been playing up before but we thought it was all sorted so in a we had to come back home, a tempoary one is being fitted as I type D2 instead of a D4 but I count myself exra lucky that the fella firstly had one & secondly could fit it today allowing us to get out & about again.

Glad I did dump the water though as the themomiter on the heater showed -5 & the old fashoned sort with the red stuff in it showed -2 so it was cold for sure.

just as a side note it may be worth checking any jubilee clips you may have because when the weather turned cold a few weeks ago I had a few of them weep a little bit, a quick nip up with a spanner seemed to do the trick though.

Winterising

I had put off draining ours down as well and have those icicles hanging from the taps. Just hoping no damage has been done and I guess it will show when everything thaws. Currently have two oil filled radiators in it so fingers crossed.

I have just put on the airtronic heater and eventually managed to drain the system. I have; taken the shower head off; removed the drainage plug on the carver water heater; opened all the taps.
Hopefully, I haven't stuffed up the system. Only time will tell.

I've got into the habit of draining down after every trip.

John.

Same here, if were going to France we overnight at the Canterbury aire and fill the water tank there, its free and saves lugging 100kg around.

Our van is currently sorned, work commitments mean it won't be used for a while, its sat with all the curtains drawn and blinds down with a oil filled radiator set at a low temperature, all tanks are drained down.

Same here, if were going to France we overnight at the Canterbury aire and fill the water tank there, its free and saves lugging 100kg around.

Our van is currently sorned, work commitments mean it won't be used for a while, its sat with all the curtains drawn and blinds down with a oil filled radiator set at a low temperature, all tanks are drained down.
I believe that if you leave blinds down for a while, they will lose their tension and you will have to rewind them.

We drain down fresh water and waste tank after every trip.

My blinds are 26 years old and still going strong, so i'll take the gamble :)

Maybe that's another testament to Hymer build quality.

That's why I love my hymer all we do is turn off the 12 volt open the taps and what ever the temperature next time I close the taps turn on the heating and so far (5 years) everything is fine

Hi All

I had drained my water tank after our last trip but the flushing water in the cassette toilet had frozen last night, put some heat on and warmed up the van and got it working!

Put some pipe insulation on the water pipes under the van and inside to the pump ,hope thats kept thing ok.

I always add 300ml of two stroke oil to a full tank of diesel, even in summer as it helps lubricate the turbo and helps keep the diesel clean..

put up all the window insulation and made some to fit inside the skylights and the two side windows, black as night now inside but hopefully it should now be ok.

tranivanman

Hi All

I had drained my water tank after our last trip but the flushing water in the cassette toilet had frozen last night, put some heat on and warmed up the van and got it working!

Put some pipe insulation on the water pipes under the van and inside to the pump ,hope thats kept thing ok.

I always add 300ml of two stroke oil to a full tank of diesel, even in summer as it helps lubricate the turbo and helps keep the diesel clean..

put up all the window insulation and made some to fit inside the skylights and the two side windows, black as night now inside but hopefully it should now be ok.

tranivanman

I always add 300ml of two stroke oil to a full tank of diesel, even in summer as it helps lubricate the turbo? How's that work then??

extra t/stroke oil will not lube turbo,as its injected into the cylinders ,though it my help the pump but you would be better using fuel set for boats as it will stop fuel bug in tank if you stand here up for a while.

I keep my motorhome on the drive plugged in with thermostat set low & the motothome is ready to go when I choose to head out in it ! Keep the water tank full & so far never had any problems

I always add 300ml of two stroke oil to a full tank of diesel, even in summer as it helps lubricate the turbo? How's that work then??

Hi I dont know is the answer but i have three ford transit's one of which is a 2004 ex TNT van and I got it with 132,000 on the clock, used two stroke oil as recommended by loads of people on the Fordtransitforum site and this van has now done 226,000 and still runs like a dream ,my camper is also a 2004 only 67,000 on and my laterest one is a 2008 mk7 with 112,000.

I suggest you look on the ford forum site and get answers from people on there, but im happy to continue using it in my vans.

tranivanman

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back