winterising

I read a bit about 2 stroke oil and I think they were suggesting that it burnt cleaner and lubricated the pump better but I cannot see it myself. Diesel oil has lost o a lot of sulphur which was a lubricant but does other bad things instead. What it seems does happen to turbos is that they are subject to an oil film from the breather which goes through the turbo , intercoolers and the EGR making a sticky goo that will rot out the rubber intake hoses and when combined with the exhaust particles from the EGR make a load of nasty stick black sXXt in the manifold. The breather HAS to be before the turbo because otherwise the positive pressure would go to the crankcase as well causing seals to leak.

hi
on all my three vans i have blanked off the EGR valve to stop all this gunge getting sucked back through the system, again as recomended on the fordtransit.org site.

tranivanman

hi
on all my three vans i have blanked off the EGR valve to stop all this gunge getting sucked back through the system, again as recomended on the fordtransit.org site.

tranivanman

I also have performed an EGR-ectomy on Sully the LDV's Tranny 2.5Di. Basically disconnect the mechanical operating rod to the EGR butterfly valve, then lock the butterfly valve fully open with zip ties.

Instant lighter throttle, more responsive and better 'go' and no crud being shoved back through the intake ;)

Fairly new to this game.... Van in storage (not enough room on drive) and all drained down. Have decided to bring the leisure battery home to keep it trickle charged. Don't know whether it's worth buying a proper charger (Banner Accuguard recommended) for about £50. Anybody any advice?

Fairly new to this game.... Van in storage (not enough room on drive) and all drained down. Have decided to bring the leisure battery home to keep it trickle charged. Don't know whether it's worth buying a proper charger (Banner Accuguard recommended) for about £50. Anybody any advice?

It does need to be an intelligent charger if you plan to leave it connected over winter maintaining the battery. If using a basic charger then charge the battery up for several hours, then store it somwhere nice n cosy in the house (I used to secrete a motorbike batt in the airing cupboard). Then check it and maybe top it up every month or so.

A good trick is to hook the batt up to an old car radio in your garage / shed, and use the radio for tunes while you tinker. This will mean you use and remember to look after tbe battery over winter.

But a clever trickle charger is easiest.

It does need to be an intelligent charger if you plan to leave it connected over winter maintaining the battery. If using a basic charger then charge the battery up for several hours, then store it somwhere nice n cosy in the house (I used to secrete a motorbike batt in the airing cupboard). Then check it and maybe top it up every month or so.

A good trick is to hook the batt up to an old car radio in your garage / shed, and use the radio for tunes while you tinker. This will mean you use and remember to look after tbe battery over winter.

But a clever trickle charger is easiest.

Intelligent charger ordered and battery bought in from the shed! Thanks...
you next task, should you choose to accept it, is to find me some plastic headlamp protectors for the base vehicle (mk7 Transit). Peeling the headlamp deflectors off each time we come home is doing the headlights no good....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back