Will motorhome use resume on July 4th?

In actual fact sites will not be reopening in Scotland until the earliest 15 July.
I was chatting to the warden yesterday at the CCC site in Dunbar.
They are hoping to reopen 15 July and provide toilet and shower facilities.
The only rooms that would be out of bounds would be the family and the washrooms.

Also I have booked 4 nights in the Peak District in C&MC sites 6-10 July, and as things stand they are hoping to provide toilet and showers.

But of course things may change before then.

But if they are unable to provide these facilities it begs the question, should they still be charging the full price.
I feel that the cost without the facilities, they have less to pay out so should be cheaper, but with us not able to get away in our units, it will be a supply & demand situation so I cannot see them dropping any prices...we shall see...

I feel that the cost without the facilities, they have less to pay out so should be cheaper, but with us not able to get away in our units, it will be a supply & demand situation so I cannot see them dropping any prices...we shall see...

To be honest it’s more important that they survive this crisis. So I would not complain about paying fully. Also I don’t even know if we would use their facilities. We will possibly just use our own facilities.

Can’t remember where I was reading it now but I saw something where you can get a pitch with dedicated toilet/shower facility per pitch. On these you can still use the facility as it is just for your use. Of course you have to keep it clean. No idea on how commonplace these pitches are but ideal if you have a van without facilities on board and use sites maybe?

It's just occurred to me that, if most public toilets remain closed, then wilding will be more difficult as we will not be able to dispose of our toilet waste.

It's just occurred to me that, if most public toilets remain closed, then wilding will be more difficult as we will not be able to dispose of our toilet waste.

Just chuck it down a drain.

Lol.

NC500 related article in P&J today with views from three business owners in North West Sutherland on pros and cons of opening on 18 July and references to wild camping.
As a far north resident and a user of campsites and free camping (wild camping to everyone up here is strapping a tent onto your back and hiking out into the hills and moors, they laugh at you if you say you're wild camping in a motorhome or campervan!) all over UK, Ireland and the Continent, I can see validity in both sides of the debate on free camping and campsite owners vested interests.
Its a long read but if you're interested I would encourage you to take time to read the complete article as the end article is from the owners of the Halladale Inn campsite.

NC500 related article in P&J today with views from three business owners in North West Sutherland on pros and cons of opening on 18 July and references to wild camping.
As a far north resident and a user of campsites and free camping (wild camping to everyone up here is strapping a tent onto your back and hiking out into the hills and moors, they laugh at you if you say you're wild camping in a motorhome or campervan!) all over UK, Ireland and the Continent, I can see validity in both sides of the debate on free camping and campsite owners vested interests.
Its a long read but if you're interested I would encourage you to take time to read the complete article as the end article is from the owners of the Halladale Inn campsite.

Interesting reading.
The big concern seems to be over lack of facilities, and possible infection from visitors.
We have booked Culloden Moor and Brora C&MC sites for August, then we planned to head for Ratagan and Morvich for three nights wild camping.
Before heading finally to Bunree C&MC site before heading home. The ratagan carpark sits well away from the Village, and the Morvich car park by the cemetery is completely isolated. We don't need any facilities when wild camping. Our toilet will be fine for three days, and we will carry whatever food we require. I honestly cannot see how we could infect anyone, or they infect us. I planned this trip with local people in mind, trying as much as we can to keep away from towns and villages whilst wild camping. This virus is not going to go away, and we must all learn to live with it.

I don't understand not opening toilet facilities on campsites, why is it more of a risk to catch Covid 19 in a toilet block? You use the facilities and wash your hands so where is the problem?

I don't understand not opening toilet facilities on campsites, why is it more of a risk to catch Covid 19 in a toilet block? You use the facilities and wash your hands so where is the problem?

You can catch Covid from a toilet used by someone with the virus.

The problem is only one door so entering and exiting could cause social distancing problems.

I believe faeces are usually infected if someone has covid. Flushing a toilet makes an aerosol of droplets which could permeate the room like a sneeze and be breathed in, and land on surfaces. Putting the lid down before flushing is a good idea. Leaving minutes for ventilation to clear the aerosol is good, and of course washing your hands.
Properly done, wild toileting seems much safer, dig a hole 6 inches deep or deeper, away from footfall and others and 30m from water courses, bury your waste, sanitise or better wash your hands.

If a hand sanitizer was placed outside fixed to the wall then there would be no problem from contamination from entry/exit. My thinking is that using a toilet block would be no more risky than going to a supermarket, in fact, probably less risk. Careful hand washing and sanitising is the key. How many times have you cleaned the toilet lid because some dirty bugger has peed all over it, people wipe their bums and open the cubicle door, not heard of mass deaths from cholera or dysentery!

The problem is with peoples mindset. As far as I am concerned if Scotland doesn’t want me now they won’t get me again. Same for any other areas. The good thing about a van is you can go where you want. Both France and Spain are asking you to go and lots of places in Engkand 👍

Hope all you English drinkers have a smartphone for pubs opening next week lol

The problem is with peoples mindset. As far as I am concerned if Scotland doesn’t want me now they won’t get me again. Same for any other areas. The good thing about a van is you can go where you want. Both France and Spain are asking you to go and lots of places in Engkand 👍

No we don’t want you now and happy not to have you again. 👍✋

I met my middle aged children in (the now infamous ) Barnard Castle yesterday , first time I have seen them since early March.
the Public Toilets were open . Also a caravan and car on German plates parked in a layby near the Startforth bridge ...looked like it had been there a while .Spare me the Cummins comments please ..

Public toilets seems to be going the same way as litter bins in some places. I have lived around Buxton in the Peak District since 1971 and am still around there a lot. In January I had a spell of walking the dogs around the Pavillion Gardens which gets a lot of visitors even in winter. All toilets were locked shut and have been since maybe September last year (not certain when).
It’s almost criminal when a town that mainly relies on tourism doesn’t have any toilets. I am talking about normal times here not COVID times.
Even now though I think as soon as they announced day trips allowed they should have opened up toilets. It can’t be that hard to come up with a safe system, no different to whatever a business needs to do to allow workers back anyway.
Initially I thought this pandemic was handled quite well considering where we were at but my opinion has changed drastically now. As others have said, we need to find ways to live with it now and get on with things

Got to be honest. I was of the same opinion re Scotland and Wales. Especially the way some full timers were treated, earlier this year. But, never is a long time 🥺

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back