Wildcamping How To Guide 2012

Why is it that there is always someone wanting to impose rules regulations or guidelines about every aspect of your life. I would have thought wild camping would have been a bit about freedom and if you say the guidelines are common sense then why need them, if a newbie has enough interest then its all on here anyway. Oh look we have a set of guidelines then someone else takes them up then they become rules that you have to obey. Yet another thin end of a wedge. A set of guidelines wont make a jot of difference if someone thinks its ok to dump anywhere they still will. This subject has been brought up in the past times many and there are plenty who dont want yet another set of rules regulations laws guidlines to have to live your life by.

Why is it that there is always someone wanting to impose rules regulations or guidelines about every aspect of your life. I would have thought wild camping would have been a bit about freedom and if you say the guidelines are common sense then why need them, if a newbie has enough interest then its all on here anyway. Oh look we have a set of guidelines then someone else takes them up then they become rules that you have to obey. Yet another thin end of a wedge. A set of guidelines wont make a jot of difference if someone thinks its ok to dump anywhere they still will. This subject has been brought up in the past times many and there are plenty who dont want yet another set of rules regulations laws guidlines to have to live your life by.

Fair enough.

BUT

The next time a newbie asks for help or guidance before their first wildcamp, you are hereby duly appointed to give them the information they need.

Phew, that will give the rest of us a break. :dance:

I wouldnt dream of giving guidence to what is basicaly a illegal activity in England and Wales, maybe that should be top of the list in frequently asked questions. Is it legal to wild camp in England and Wales?

I wouldnt dream of giving guidence to what is basicaly a illegal activity in England and Wales, maybe that should be top of the list in frequently asked questions. Is it legal to wild camp in England and Wales?

Can you point me to the law that currently makes it illegal to wild camp in England & Wales & also explain why no lorry drivers have yet been arrested for this crime? Perhaps you could also point to any successful prosecutions of individual wildcampers too?

I cannot understand your fear of helping people, it just seems a logical & friendly thing to do.

When has a simple voluntary guide (like the Countryside guide" or RNLI "Safe Boating Guide") ever become a law? Any single example will do, such guides are always seen as an alternative to costly & largely ineffective laws. But you seem to know different, so please explain to us all the basis of your belief.

BTW I see there are four likes already to your one unsupported & illogical objection.

So what are you doing on here with a bunch of criminals then? :)

If you are just trying to wind up members on a Sunday afternoon when you have nowt else to do then you are sad.

From my point of view a FAQ section would be handy to have. This is because I do not just sit at my laptop and moan or rant. I contact various organisations and try to get them to provide space for Motorhomes to overnight. A link to this forum is sometimes included in an email and a FAQ would also be good for them to read. It gives the impression that we are a responsible group. It is not good for an outsider to see posts where people say they don't want or need rules. It looks like they are the type who will leave a mess and dump their toilet in the hedge. For all I know fazerloz, you could be doing that from the tone of your posts. We recently held a Meet at a Council run facility and that did not come about by chance, it came about by patience and hard work.

You carry on sitting on your arse and moaning, I have better things to do.

I think before setting out any rules/guidelines or whatever you want to call them, the term Wild Camping needs to be defined. It is obvious from reading the various threads that most people’s idea of "wild camping" is to stop in a car park, be it pub or whatever, or a layby. A more fitting title would be Free Camping as I’m sure the biggest attraction in doing this is an inability or unwillingness to pay site fees.

I think before setting out any rules/guidelines or whatever you want to call them, the term Wild Camping needs to be defined. It is obvious from reading the various threads that most people’s idea of "wild camping" is to stop in a car park, be it pub or whatever, or a layby. A more fitting title would be Free Camping as I’m sure the biggest attraction in doing this is an inability or unwillingness to pay site fees.

Why? - is it really that important?

I prefer to be in wild, remote places, but I have to be realistic about the off road capability of 3 tons of front wheel drive coachbuilt motorhome. I have been stuck on wet grass, just stopping for a meal on Islay - something that wouldn't have caused the slightest problem in a car, but I had to get help from a local farmer with a Landrover. But whether in a car park by the beach, on a Forestry picnic site or even somewhere more exotic, the same basic principles apply do they not? As the bard said, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Not paying is sweet, but what should I pay for anyway? I take nothing & spoil nothing, in most cases no-one will even see me there. Who should I pay anyway, often the land I use is either common land, public land or car parks specifically provided to encourage visitors. The main thing for us is to find somewhere where we will be alone in lovely countryside, we don't generally want noisy neighbours, clubs, EHU, toilets or hard standing, altho I am prepared to pay for them if I need them. Wild camping/ Free camping who cares?

Don't annoy the locals probably summarises the general concept in my mind but I am happy to hear your view - if you are prepared to express it.

Well, call me a numpty, but a simple guide seems to be a good idea.

Like Smaug said, there are already guidelines for safe boating which are just that - guidelines, and not enforceable by law.
Any idiot can take off out to sea in a boat and get themselves into trouble if they are inexperienced.

Similarly, it is obvious without looking back too far in old threads on this forum that lots of peeps new to the freedom of the road ask very basic questions, such as where to dispose of their black waste, and can be unsure of all kinds of things that can be addressed very simply.

Fazerloz please note: ignorance or inexperience is not a crime. If someone has never done any wildcamping, or is totally new to owning a campervan then some basic guidelines have got to be useful.
I'm with maingate. I nominate you as the person responsible for answering all novice questions about the simple technicalities of wildcamping :hammer:

The Keep Britain Tidy campaign doesn't stop people littering, but it may educate the less aware in the right way to go about things, or at least those who are asking the questions in the first place!

It would also save having to answer the same questions that crop up time after time - not a problem doing this, but at least you can point newbies to the guidelines which saves a bit of faffing about.
Exactly the same as this site already does for the POI. No difference, imo.

Lets face it, whether you like it or not this is a free country (well, for the moment! ;) ) and wildcamping exists. Full stop.

All this nonsense about trying to keeping a low profile on it is a joke. This website is dedicated to it, for gawd's sake!

So, the least you can do is provide peeps with some of the basic guidelines ;)

Have to admit that when I first came across this website I was envisioning tents on Ben Nevis in brass monkey weather but this is what we are calling what we do and we're hardly going to change that. 'Fly Camping' is another term I've also heard used.

Smaug has uploaded an idea for a FAQS page which would work well for a 'guide' page that can be as long as you like, but I was also thinking that the first 3 pointers could be on a simple 'Code of Conduct' page where we could also include pointers about dealing with litter, grey water and dogs etc. Yes, a lot of it would be very obvious to most members but it would be of value to new members AND it would show to the outside world that we take our responsibilities very seriously. As long as we get the tone right it will come across right, rather than seeming dictatorial.
(it could maybe also include a definition of wild camping.)

Don`t forget the Bat

Apart from all the advice on the previous 17 pages, my one piece of advice is always carry a Rounders bat. I use to carry a baseball bat but found it to long. A rounders bat is much more `user` friendly in confined spaces, when unwanted guests arrive. Only joking common sense prevails in all cases.

Apart from all the advice on the previous 17 pages, my one piece of advice is always carry a Rounders bat. I use to carry a baseball bat but found it to long. A rounders bat is much more `user` friendly in confined spaces, when unwanted guests arrive. Only joking common sense prevails in all cases.

I realise you are joking, but for the benefit of newbies, if police stop you & find a rounders (or cricket) bat in the van & readily to hand, they may choose to arrest you for possession of an offensive weapon. The same goes for tools like hammers. mallets & pick axe handles, in a tool rool in the boot or an outside locker you may be able to convince them that they are legitimate, but behind or under the driver's seat or under the bed may be harder to justify.

I realise you are joking, but for the benefit of newbies, if police stop you & find a rounders (or cricket) bat in the van & readily to hand, they may choose to arrest you for possession of an offensive weapon. The same goes for tools like hammers. mallets & pick axe handles, in a tool rool in the boot or an outside locker you may be able to convince them that they are legitimate, but behind or under the driver's seat or under the bed may be harder to justify.

I'll take my chances :lol-049:

That's definitely one for the individual to make their own mind up about ;)

I suppose if we're going to suggest ways that nervous wildcampers can protect themselves and their campervans while out and about they'll have to be within the law.

Technically, your campervan is your home on wheels. It seems to make sense to me that the same rules used for the protection of your bricks and mortar abode would apply.

Would I be correct? :)

Im am not concerned with what coppers would make of my baseball bat ,I have kids ,they like baseball .....

I am worried about what they would make of my 8inch hunting knife tho .......

Carry a Haynes or similar manual on the vehicle,you may not know much about mechanical stuff,but someone may need it to refer to settings etc if you breakdown.

If carrying a baseball bat always have a glove and ball with it easier to explain.

Fire Extinguishers

Have at least one easily accessible Fire Extinguisher.
Best if suitable for electrical fires.
If a powder fire extinguisher - give it a shake now and again - the powder can become compacted & cause a malfunction
And also get a fire blanket.

Base Ball Bat or not.

I have always had a 2ft length of rubber coated steel pipe.
It fits snugly over my wheel brace and the leverage it gives make removing stubborn wheel nuts very easy. ( don't forget to have WD40 or similar)
It lives on the dash board against the windscreen.
I have only ever used it once as a "weapon" - As a solo woman wild camper I would never ever reccomend leaving your van, but on this occasion I felt I had little choice as two guys were using their car to block my exit ( I had parked correctly ). I think the pipe worked because they got such a shock to see a very lightweight woman coming at their boy-racer car with a bar. My 2 big black dogs might have helped too ! !

( don't forget to have WD40 or similar)

tank

Never go up a 20% incline with less than A fifth of a tank - The fuel will run to the back of the tank and the engine will be starved of fuel - yes this happened to us in the peaks!

most good veh have fuel pick up at rear of tank to stop this ,dont mater going down hill as you can cooooost.

Respect your surroundings, other people and yourself. A show a good manners and a little courtesy is always pleasant to receive.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back