Wildcamping How To Guide 2012

We picked up our van 2 weeks ago and the next day took off travelling Wales ,wild camping( before we found this site so I had to use a map and judgement on where to look for places to stay) .We have a pop up roof for my son so we were not very 'stealthy' so we chose country parks well out of towns/villages and the dogs crammed in at the foot of the bed but we loved it :) We also found on a couple of occasions that after parking and going for a walk ,on our return we had attracted another wilder ,safety in numbers and all that lol.

I do have some advice though ( if not being too cocky as a newbie lol)
If you dont have your own shower facilities ,write down the post codes for a few small cs sites( ones with showers) in the area you are travelling ,then head for them every few days to get a decent shower as we found strip washing ( or bathing in a stream in my hubbies case) Is only good for a few days ;)

wow.

im new here and just read all your safety suggestions. wild camping sounds very exciting. im a woman who likes to travel alone with my dog so altho im a bit of an adrenalin junkie, i do also have to be aware of safety for myself, my dog and my van. is there a list on here of tried and tested sites for parking up overnight? i suppose your going to tell me now i have to pay for this... and if this is the case, how much? but thanks for all taking the time to list these things as some i had never thought of. :wave:

Never though of this, but made me laugh
Don't park in a dogging car park unless you're a dogger.:lol-053:

Seriously, someone knocked on my window in Llandullas and told me just that. Anyway, I stayed the night with interest expecting to be woken up by hundreds of people. Nothing happened. In fact we had a very quiet and peaceful night. I guessed later, that he was probably the owner of the adjacent caravan site trying to scaremonger.[/QUOTE]

Where does one get this Wildcamping How To Guide 2012 from please?

Take a mobile internet Wifi hotspot to stream TV and Movies live instead of bit dishes and antennas.
Sorry but the wife and I go camping to get away from TV, might just as well camp outside your home.

We travel to see different places, not Deadenders or Crapantion street, sorry if I have upset some of you,
just our ideas of going away.

So much drivel on TV now very rarely watch TV at home, F1 and some documentaries, but don't need TV can watch catch up on laptop.

But this post has been good for information on wild camping, thanks to all who have posted.

Have at least one back up.

Sometimes we leave early and have breakfast elsewhere if its a sensitive spot.

Park reasonable leaving parking spaces for the locals... Especially when no parking spots are marked out

Parking unreasonable only gets the locals back up n before you know it they will b a sign up the next time you go there

I haven't seen this How To guide - it may be on my computer, but I'm on my iPad at the moment. Anyway, I think, in view of recent threads about more height barriers and other restrictions being imposed on wildcampers, it would be a very good idea to have home sort of WildCampers' Code of Conduct page accessible from the main menu of this website. This would demonstrate to site members and to the general public the high level of responsibility most of us take when out on our travels.

It would probably need to be a lot shorter than the 16 pages mentioned on the first page of this thread and would maybe just consist of a list of suggested dos and don'ts while out wildcamping. Many pointers would be blindingly obvious to ourselves but worth putting down in black & white for everyone to take note of. It would cover matters ranging from litter and waste disposal, dog control to even covering 'policing' poi's, such as reporting incidents etc.
It could also cover what to say when questioned by the general public about our activities, even how best to complain to councils & other bodies about restrictions being imposed.

Whatever's proposed I think it's become increasingly important to have something on the website about this.

This has been discussed before Neil. It didn't get anywhere and there were some very conflicting opinions on the matter!

I reckon it's become too important to ignore now. I think we need to push ourselves forward more to make the public more aware of the levels of responsibilities we take on and to make a better name for ourselves. Otherwise, legislation will start being enforced to severely restrict our options.

I would tread carefully, If this is planned to be a PR exercise it could also work against us. It may make us look arrogant to make ourselves self appointed police of parking places, or turn councils even more bloody minded when we are advising members how to complain.

just my opinion, but i would be prepared for a response like in the following thread;

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums...renamed-thread-argument-about-term-rules.html

We need a simple page (not a thread), possibly with links to further information on certain points, with clear information - all governed purely by our glorious 'Admin'.
I do feel we need to do this - I'm considering putting together a temporary web page myself with suggested content. Other members with much more wildcamping experience than myself could then suggest amendments and I could adjust accordingly. Even if members disagree on certain points I think SOMETHING has to be up there.

Where does one get this Wildcamping How To Guide 2012 from please?

It is this whole thread, Blodwyn, you need to go thro it & take out the advice you feel is helpful/ relevant.

I reckon it's become too important to ignore now. I think we need to push ourselves forward more to make the public more aware of the levels of responsibilities we take on and to make a better name for ourselves. Otherwise, legislation will start being enforced to severely restrict our options.

That was my point entirely, we get a lot of Newbies coming to this site for help and it would be very helpful to them.

However, as you will see from the link to my thread, a handful of contributors tried to make an issue out of trying to help people. The gist of their argument seemed to be that they knew it all, so no-one else should need help. They also seemed to fear that any voluntary Guidelines, rather than reducing the risk of silly legislation, would actually be turned into a law. Both concepts are clearly nonsense.

We need a simple page (not a thread), possibly with links to further information on certain points, with clear information - all governed purely by our glorious 'Admin'.
I do feel we need to do this - I'm considering putting together a temporary web page myself with suggested content. Other members with much more wildcamping experience than myself could then suggest amendments and I could adjust accordingly. Even if members disagree on certain points I think SOMETHING has to be up there.

I think something along the lines of a FAQ page would be good - perhaps the few naysayers could be accept a simple approach of that nature? I shall start another thread & see if we can get some sensible responses this time?

It seems to have been tried a couple of times within threads. Perhaps if I try producing a temporary web page that shows what we can come up with it might work that way.
The only thing giving me reservations is the feeling that it might well come to nothing and simply not be used on the site at the end of the day.

It seems to have been tried a couple of times within threads. Perhaps if I try producing a temporary web page that shows what we can come up with it might work that way.
The only thing giving me reservations is the feeling that it might well come to nothing and simply not be used on the site at the end of the day.

We can but try.

Unfortunately the decision to use or not can only be made by the Admin people & I have no sway with them. But we are getting regular requests for something of that style from newbies & I can only see it being useful & helpful. Despite some quite aggressive posts from a few posters, no-one has yet produced a sensible or convincing argument against the idea.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back