Wildcamping How To Guide 2012

tools

I realise you are joking, but for the benefit of newbies, if police stop you & find a rounders (or cricket) bat in the van & readily to hand, they may choose to arrest you for possession of an offensive weapon. The same goes for tools like hammers. mallets & pick axe handles, in a tool rool in the boot or an outside locker you may be able to convince them that they are legitimate, but behind or under the driver's seat or under the bed may be harder to justify.

my shed came fully equiped when I bought it including a baseball bat under the bed owner said I had everything needed to set off but the fridge was empty:mad2:

I love this site:dance:

roast beef

Not too sure about that as a disabled man a caravaner was arrested and successfully prosecuted earlier this year for having an offensive weapon a Swiss Army knife in his glove box - No not a locking one - just a small general purpose one - he said that he used it for peeling apples and when picnicking.

Not sure if I am aloud to add the link to the newspaper article but on the chance I am:

Disabled caravanner prosecuted for keeping penknife in his car to use on picnics | Mail Online

so do I carve it with penknife or use 12" victorian carving knife? same as I use in the boring none moving dining room. it never scared anyone waiting to be served.

Samsung Tablet

Hi
Is there such a thing?? I would like a sat nav on an I pad but will use only pay as you go not contract
so.... do you need Wi-Fi to use a sat nav app and will it tell you where you are if not on Wi-Fi?
getting really confused as I need to replace very old sat nav but want to combine it with an I pad....does that make sense?
thanks
gail:help:

Has wifi
BUT "maps with me app" only uses GPS
There are navigation apps available as well

I think only iPads with 3G capability have gps. If you download tomtom it does not need to be connected as all the maps are held on the iPad.

Pocket WIFI or Mi-FI

I think only iPads with 3G capability have gps. If you download tomtom it does not need to be connected as all the maps are held on the iPad.

Yo need one of these for samsung tablet.
It takes a simcard and broadcasts a wi-fi signal

I like it because it will service both my Tablet (samsung) and my Laptop

Usual problem do you get PAYG or a contract
I am trialling Giff-Gaff
or can swap simcard from my phone.
Tablet has GPS
Maps withme pro (about £5) app doesnt need a connection to locate where you are and spot nearby waypoints (previously marked of loaded from a kml file)

if it moves and it should'nt ,gaffer tape .if it does'nt move and it should WD40 both can be invaluable for many things

Emptying toilet cassette

If you are wilding and decide to empty your toilet cassette in a public loo,go into the loo FIRST and check it has a good flush BEFORE you tip it down the pan.Its a real pain if the flush is nonexistent or very week.Also always take some kitchen roll with you to clean up any splashes etc.

Don't drink alcohol if you're parked on a road or layby etc as you may become victim of drink driving. If you are having a drink always remove your keys from the ignition, NEVER put them in your pocket (preferably hide them in a draw) and turn your seats into the lounge position (if you have swivel seats) with cab curtains or blinds shut. This way if you are questioned by police you can insist that you are parked up for the night and not in charge of a vehicle on a public highway whilst under the influence. This is a grey area, so best not to drink if unsure.

Put your pj's on, you'll be comfortable as well!:p

so do I carve it with penknife or use 12" victorian carving knife? same as I use in the boring none moving dining room. it never scared anyone waiting to be served.

Don't most vans carry a carving/bread knife in a cutlery draw , we have a 12" one. it's not a public place in my van !!.
Schubert

Get your heating serviced ,

I have an Erbespacher unit and it packed up last winter when I needed it most .The control unit had failed .

Keeping warm ........ Helly Hansens for pyjamas , thick curtains for doors , I made a draft excluder for rear van doors made a big difference, close all the vents on the dashboard, I bought one of those little Butane aerosol can heaters for tents to heat the bathroom in winter and wet weather so I can dry gear etc.

Midge repellent and cortisone cream.

penknife

I have a small lockknife. I keep it in my ruc sac with a torch, whistle, compass etc etc and I keep it for exactly the same reason: cutting fruit etc when up mountains. I hunted for weeks for the type, a serrated blade which slices through fruit etc with ease, but on simple contact does not cut skin. I was sick of cutting my own fingers! I'm not certain how he was prosecuted because I'm sure we're allowed anything up to a 4 inch blade.
Personally I think the cops have been disappointed they waited all night and didn't get a drunk driver so they were determined to get him for something. Anything. Mind you, don't they have to have reasonable suspicion to search your vehicle?
This whole thing doesn't sound quite right to me.

There is more to this. Look at this link

Police: Why we arrested disabled 'fruit knife' man | Western Morning News

I always have plenty of plastic bags in the van. Handy for rubbish, laundry etc
Plastic shoes/cheap sandals are always handy for campsite showers.
Try not to park under trees, especially if it's raining or windy.
A small camping stove for those times when you run out of gas.
Several torches
small sewing kit and duct tape

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back