Wildcamp a month challenge 2020

3/3
Balintore harbour.

Stayed here for one day/night, great walks to both the north and south of the harbour with some lovely views. Toilet block at the harbour was locked while I was there, there is a tap on the side of the building with a bin on the site.

On the day of our stay Friday we had a visit from the local 🐟 and 🍟 van which was there till well gone 7 in the evening. It was very popular with the locals.

Will definitely use this site again.
IMG_0496.JPG
IMG_0497.JPG

With storm Caira approaching, and Thursday/Friday supposed to be nice, we tripped away westwards for a change on 06/02/20, stopping at Nairn harbour to enjoy the view and lunch, and later a mini shopping experience for Pat at Inverness.

View attachment 76350

Our target was CR Reelig Glen and the Tall Trees Walk; the small car park was busy when we arrived but we parked up and went for a walk, and it was empty when we got back. I guess in warmer weather it would have been fantastic, but it was still quite pretty with the moss and with amazing trees; overnight was quite a cold experience near the trickling river, and the nearby fields were frosty in the morning, but it was good to get an early bag for 02/02 with the prospect of the storm approaching that would probably hinder a trip out next week.

View attachment 76352

View attachment 76353

After a late breakfast at Beauly, we headed to one of our favourite stops at North Kessock (see POI post for the changes) and basked in the sun and marvelled at the snow tipped views in the West.

View attachment 76354

The wind was getting up, so a slow drive home was necessary but it was a pleasant short trip out before we had to batten down the hatches at home.
oh no they are wildcamper,the sign in the window, happy hunting, for space, good on ya. ok.pj. best of luck

3/3
Balintore harbour.

Stayed here for one day/night, great walks to both the north and south of the harbour with some lovely views. Toilet block at the harbour was locked while I was there, there is a tap on the side of the building with a bin on the site.

On the day of our stay Friday we had a visit from the local 🐟 and 🍟 van which was there till well gone 7 in the evening. It was very popular with the locals.

Will definitely use this site again.View attachment 77219View attachment 77220
Good to know about fish & Chip van; we love Balintore too but never saw a van there..

The weather appeared to be settled for a couple of days so we took off to bimble around the local Moray coast, no point in avoiding the local beauty... On Thursday 5th March we checked out Portsoy, a previous favourite location when caravaning with the kids when they were younger; the council camp site was always perfect for them, plenty of space, sea to paddle in and fish, proximity of harbour & pub (with log fire), and decent fish & chips. We drove along the links past the campsite, which may still have been shut for winter, the LU was still available, but the Salmon Bothy had put a car park next to it, and although the Bothy was not open yet, it was full of cars; so we didn't fancy stopping there. We pushed on to Sands End, another previous favourite with the Caravan, at least the noisy fish machinery appeared to be gone, but there was a height barrier that prevented using the small car park; it would be possible to park up near the old harbour area, but we didn't want to upset any locals on such a beautiful day, so we drove on to Banff to try out CU Banff. A couple of cars were there when we arrived but it soon emptied, and we pitched for the night enjoying the evening sun going down behind us and clocked up 03/03 for 2020.

CU Banff20200305_150949.jpg

CU Banff20200306_093342.jpg

Excellent public toilet facilities at the Harbour, open 8am-4pm; no chemical disposal notices due to local sewage system, but indications of council supplied disposal access at the campsite near Boyndie, and a drive over grid for grey water disposal for £8.

On Friday we took in Duff House and a huge scone & coffee at their tea room before setting off to Cullen to spend the night there after getting Chinese food at our favourite take away by the viaduct there, and watching for dolphins down by the coast.

Cullen20200306_151358.jpg

We did venture out for a walk along the sand beach to Portknockie and back before we picked up our food, so we were pretty ravenous, however when I put the blowers on to the clear the windscreen of the Chinese steam/mist, I discovered that our fan was only blowing on max, the first 3 heater positions were not working; a classic resistor pack fault. I decided that since we were only about 20 miles from home, the weather was forecast to change on Saturday, and I wanted to watch the rugby, plus fix the heater issue, we just headed home rather than stay the night at Cullen.
Examination of the the wiring and resistor pack the next day indicated that my wife may have been stuffing things under the glove box, which may have dislodged the wiring connector; a cheap fix for a change...

I am not sure whether this is classed as wildcamping ? Because there is ehu which I find saving me a lot on gas at the moment , perhaps go totally off grid on small cs , sites when it becomes milder ....anyway I am at savilletown marina Dewsbury a caravan club certified site , not sure how strict Gordon is about membership of the cc club ...a working marina with a pub on site and the old stables cafe and bistro. The approach to the site is unusual because it is right bang in the centre of an industrial estate ,,,,,the site is located as such that it offers walks totally off road on greenways as far as Bradford, or Wakefield in the other direction ....ideal overnight stop or weekend location ...5 miles max from the m1 about the same from the M62

Anyone considering this location with ringing first due to the marina having events from time to time

CD38CC7D-5C59-4567-B477-B965EA31CB2B.jpeg
378B759F-C4A8-41B9-9110-77C8F2527741.jpeg
EF02B0E3-41F0-4BDB-8DB3-86C3926ABD2B.jpeg

I am not sure whether this is classed as wildcamping ? Because there is ehu which I find saving me a lot on gas at the moment , perhaps go totally off grid on small cs , sites when it becomes milder ....anyway I am at savilletown marina Dewsbury a caravan club certified site , not sure how strict Gordon is about membership of the cc club ...a working marina with a pub on site and the old stables cafe and bistro. The approach to the site is unusual because it is right bang in the centre of an industrial estate ,,,,,the site is located as such that it offers walks totally off road on greenways as far as Bradford, or Wakefield in the other direction ....ideal overnight stop or weekend location ...5 miles max from the m1 about the same from the M62

Anyone considering this location with ringing first due to the marina having events from time to time
Hi Channa, was this your 2/2 or 3/3

Sorry this is late, it's been a busy week.
Campervanannie 2/2
Jillygumbo 2/2
Forresbroons 2/2
Brucews 2/2
Herman 2/2
Nabsim 2/2
Wheelie 2/2
Cass 2/2
Cie 2/2
Silverweed 1/2
Landoboguy 1/2
Iqofafish 1/2
Asterix 1/2
John Climber 1/2
Channa ?
Chris jones 1/2
Wildbill 1/2

If I've missed any one or made a mistake let me know and I will edit, same for late posters, just post when you can and I will edit.

3/3. Back on the road after a month sitting out the storms staying with family in Hertfordshire. We took advantage of being south to buy replacement batteries in London so we can stay off grid a bit more having had to find quite a few sites for hookup to get through the winter. Now heading back up to Scotland hopefully and on the way so far have had two nights at two different canals: last night the CR near Denton on the Grantham canal (lovely towpath for a run or dog walk) and tonight the Sheffield and South Yorkshire in the CU at Barnby Dun accompanied by a few youngsters who like sitting in cars playing music loudly but otherwise seem harmless enough!

F620571D-7E87-4333-A141-4B85E4A869A4.jpeg
0E77A24A-9D44-48D8-8319-70BDAFB485C2.jpeg

With the restrictions on travel I have decided to postpone this post for this month as to not encourage unnecessary travelling. Everyone will get a free pass and we will pick it up again next month if restrictions are lifted. The thread will not be closed so please still add comments and posts.

With the restrictions on travel I have decided to postpone this post for this month as to not encourage unnecessary travelling. Everyone will get a free pass and we will pick it up again next month if restrictions are lifted. The thread will not be closed so please still add comments and posts.

Thanks Herman.

However, I also think that under the circumstances, picking this thread up next month will be a miracle! :)

Instead of postponing let’s have photos of wilding on our drives Gardens and back yards because that’s what I’ll be doing when I get stir crazy 😂😂😂😂

3/3
The Duke, Bratton for a lovely meal. Not on the apps, but is a lovely level quiet car park in a village. Pub does (or did) beautiful meals. No facilities.
and then
My garden on the 21/3. Think that'll be my favourite campsite for the forseable. Makes a change from the house!

Unfortunately our van is at a storage unit, I called in and checked on it about 2 weeks ago to drain the water tank and that's the last we've see of it and we are missing it, so we cannot camp at Ourgate. We even thought about putting a tent up in the garden for the Great British Camp out, we paid for a pitch but with the garden being on a slope it's not practical, we'd up in the street. If you are fortunate enough to camp on your drive post your pictures and lets keep this thread going.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back