Wildcamp a month challenge 2020

We stayed here last night. It was convenient with a toilet block next to the car park. Although we went out and about during the day we actually ended up spending two nights there. This is not something we would normally do as we like to keep travelling but because we came over here sooner than planned we are stuck here till this evening.

View attachment 86772
First thing this morning this little van turned up and a chap got out in a dressing gown! Odd I thought then he strolled down to the beach for a swim. It’s drizzling, cold and the sea here is alway very cold! Each to their own.

View attachment 86773
The sea in GB is only 1c different summer or winter, its when you get out.:cry:

Todays we trip but home before the bogy men come out.
audleys castle a.jpg
audleys castle b.jpg
audleys castle c.jpg
audleys castle d.jpg
audleys castle e.jpg
audleys castle f.jpg
audleys castle g.jpg

Looks like coffins in a circle, pagan thing maybe. 😂 😂

They're stone benches, Trev, each one paid for by different sponsors.

Inside the circle are the various star constellations.
They light up at night, sealed in LEDs underneath each star in each constellation.

Very quick trip down to Glasgow over the weekend. Overnighted at the CR at Dalrigh. No photos I'm afraid as it was raining a monsoon, wipers on full tilt, all the way down and then for much of the night. Slightly better for the morning journey to the airport to drop my daughter-in-law off (flying to the Phillipines to collect her young son), it was only raining by then but still wipers on either first notch or occasionally, woohoo, just intermittent.

Dropped her off then straight back home, still raining all the way. What a grand weekend.

It's a shame Jen has never seen any of Scotland having flown straight into Kirkwall when she came here last year, and she didn't get to see much of it on this journey either with the rain during the day and much of the journey being in the dark with it getting dark so early.

The wife cheered me up no end though by keeping me informed as to how nice it was in Westray!

Very quick trip down to Glasgow over the weekend. Overnighted at the CR at Dalrigh. No photos I'm afraid as it was raining a monsoon, wipers on full tilt, all the way down and then for much of the night. Slightly better for the morning journey to the airport to drop my daughter-in-law off (flying to the Phillipines to collect her young son), it was only raining by then but still wipers on either first notch or occasionally, woohoo, just intermittent.

Dropped her off then straight back home, still raining all the way. What a grand weekend.

It's a shame Jen has never seen any of Scotland having flown straight into Kirkwall when she came here last year, and she didn't get to see much of it on this journey either with the rain during the day and much of the journey being in the dark with it getting dark so early.

The wife cheered me up no end though by keeping me informed as to how nice it was in Westray!
Jen and her son arrived "home" over the weekend. How's that for lucky timing! With the new lockdown arrangements the islands will be lifting the "drawbridges" and restricting ferry travel again. We're just so glad to have them here. It is definitely be a major culture shock for Kian, plus a pretty significant temperature change, but he seem happy enough. They're self isolating at home at the moment but we'll get to meet him in person on Christmas day.

As Gareth (our son) say's, they both had to have negative swab test before boarding in the Phillipines so the actual risk arises from their travels between Glasgow and here.

I mentioned the travel restrictions to the islands but in truth they are reassuring and make us glad we live where we do. It means that travel here is pretty much normal.

Last edited:
Congratulations on being thee first to report back. We are making a break for it next weekend, just planning on two pub stops. I was wondering who had been away this weekend. We had a short journey up the m61 in the car today and within the first mile I counted 10 motorhomes travelling in the opposite direction, before we had covered 10 miles to our turn off I had to give up counting as it was annoying the missus.

3 nights at Lyndon Top, meeting up with long not seen friends.
not wild camping, but great to meet up again.
Then off next week to Hampshire and Dorset.
any overnight suggestions would be welcomed 😊

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back