Wild camping positive thread photos needed

We use the van all year round in all weathers. It seems a waste just to use it on warm days!

Anyway, I posted this on MHer because I forgot this thread was here. So, here's what we see from our house that cheers us up. We have 3 mums, 3 foals and a Dad in the field next to the garden. here's the latest addition with Mum.
They are all Bretons and huge.

Mum with foal.jpg

[
I have to say, I have always been fond of how these images turned out, image with boat, taken approx 23.00 hrs Outer Hebrides, I love the reflection from moon on the water, just like skipping flat stones, hover over image for place name.

View attachment 80756View attachment 80757View attachment 80758
If I had to pick a favourite it’s the second shot. I love that type of photograph.
But your first photograph has depth, but what’s important about that photograph is the positioning and orientation of the boat. When viewing that photo your eyes are taken to the boat, then they follow the length of the boat to the reflection on the water to the island in the distance. Had the boat been pointing the other way your eyes would have taken you to the edge of the shot. That’s why when photographing a moving object, it’s important it’s traveling into the shot and not out of it. Lovely shots runnach, you should be very pleased with them.

I used to have a marine fish tank many years ago. Among other coral fish I kept, I had lion fish. The first one grew too big for the tank ( tank was 8ft x 4ft wide) so I gave it away to a local wildlife park ( with marine fish). Second was a tiny one that was eaten by a large anémone. Third one stung me as I was doing something in the tank. It was very painful and I ended up in hospital for treatment.
Been stung by a lionfish and bitten by an adder and ( luckily) I’m still here!

I used to have a marine fish tank many years ago. Among other coral fish I kept, I had lion fish. The first one grew too big for the tank ( tank was 8ft x 4ft wide) so I gave it away to a local wildlife park ( with marine fish). Second was a tiny one that was eaten by a large anémone. Third one stung me as I was doing something in the tank. It was very painful and I ended up in hospital for treatment.
Been stung by a lionfish and bitten by an adder and ( luckily) I’m still here!
Several parts of the world lionfish are being culled because of the damage they are doing to indigigenous wildlife.larger pythons suffering the same fate in Florida

Busy earlier, now a chance to reply. I am actually not any kind of photographer, camera is a bridge camera, and the norm is for it to be set on auto. I think with that shot, I was only looking at the magnificent moon, it is only when I down loaded image to laptop, I then realised what a great and lucky pic, as the camera screen is obviously limited when looking at a 3" screen.

When underwater, camera a Nikonos with a powerful flash strobe similar to image, non digital, the norm was to take two shots, shot one, readjust, then shot two.

I have attached what IMO is my best underwater shot of the attached pic of a Lionfish. Taken when our film crew were out in the Red Sea. Taken on a night dive. When film camera double lights were turned on, I knew my camera man had viewed something interesting, which was the Lionfish.

Weeks later after our return to UK, film developed to what you see. Beyond the Lionfish, you can see the coral rock to left and right, which gives an looking through a tunnel and up to the stars, the little light dot, which looks like a star, which in reality is just a piece of stored light energy picked up by the Nikonos. In this image case, another shot you don't realise how good until developed.
View attachment 80775

View attachment 80774

Taking photos underwater using film poses many problems. The main problems are lack of latitude on exposure, and difficulty with focusing. In low light situations such as this shot things get even more difficult. Also using a direct flash never produces great results. But underwater you have nothing to bounce of to create a softer less harsh light. Watch wedding photographers either using reflectors or bouncing from white ceilings or sometimes walls for better results. Obviously never bounce of a coloured surface or the image will be colour casted. Modern DSLRS are much easier to use, digital images have large latitude for exposure, you can be several stops over or under and still create a good image using standard editing software.

So all things considered you did well getting an acceptable image with the equipment you used and in the dark conditions runnach. But these days underwater photography is much easier than when that shot was taken. Modern DSLRS have video settings allowing you to video. Some underwater cameras now can be fitted to a headband alowing hands free filming.

Also loinfish stings are rarely fatal, but their sting is extremely painful.

Last edited:
I took photography as a hobby when I was just 12, I’m 65 now.
First SLR was a Russian zenith E, you had to manually set aperture and shutter speed. I then moved on to a Hanimex derivative sold by Dixon’s called the memotron. Then my first cannon SLR which I had for years. The AE1 won camera of the year for several years. It was a shutter priority camera. Then out came the AE1 programme which could be either shutter or aperture priority. I also managed to scrape up enough money for a Mamiya C330 Twin lens reflex, and later the Mamiya M450 large format SLR.
When I used to go on holiday I carried a rucksack full of gear, 2 bodies, 5 lenses, and accessories. Then a few years ago I got an iPhone 6 and I was amazed at the photos I could take, the quality and the versatility and ease of use was quite amazing. But the two things that were lacking were no proper optical zoom or decent flash. Well I decided to sell all of my gear for nearly £4000 on eBay, and buy a compact Panasonic digital.

Many of the shots on here are taken with an iPhone. I was never into the whole digital thing being an old filmy. But just to give you a look at what can be done with an iPhone 6 & 7. No more lugging loads of gear. View attachment 80724View attachment 80725View attachment 80726View attachment 80727View attachment 80728View attachment 80729
I have an iphone 6S plus, but I'm not getting the sharpness of your photos. I can see I'm going to have to take the protective cover off mine, it leaks now anyway as the plastic over the button has gone. Or maybe just cut out the bit that covers the lens.

I have an iphone 6S plus, but I'm not getting the sharpness of your photos. I can see I'm going to have to take the protective cover off mine, it leaks now anyway as the plastic over the button has gone. Or maybe just cut out the bit that covers the lens.

I currently use an iPhone 7 but some of the older shots on here were from your phone. Nothing should Cover the lens.

54A126C3-9AC8-481A-91BC-DDB8A19F0C29.jpeg
B6210F92-11AA-42E6-8069-66D427D7FE06.jpeg
0D85B01A-A5F9-414D-8C46-CC54BCD86272.jpeg
Hi
A8C7A7D3-D4C7-4A2A-9C7A-0C0B5A1FB33E.png

Kerr point marganaheglish Arran, our favourite spot on the island. overlooking Lamlash bay and the Holy Isle. We have spotted grey seals, otters, gannets, oyster catchers, and over the holy isle we spotted what looked like a sea eagle. Great spot but not a lot of space. The last shot was taken from Lamlash. The second photo was taken from the Clauchland hills behind the carpark. The carpark is shown on the cross hairs and the grid ref given at the top of the map.

View attachment 80837View attachment 80839View attachment 80840HiView attachment 80841
Kerr point marganaheglish Arran, our favourite spot on the island. overlooking Lamlash bay and the Holy Isle. We have spotted grey seals, otters, gannets, oyster catchers, and over the holy isle we spotted what looked like a sea eagle. Great spot but not a lot of space. The last shot was taken from Lamlash. The second photo was taken from the Clauchland hills behind the carpark. The carpark is shown on the cross hairs and the grid ref given at the top of the map.
That's a very smart van!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back