Why don’t women drive their vans?

suneye

On our way to Devon on a busy Sunday and we decided to count the motorhomes and campervans we saw in one mile (15). What I noticed was the vans with couples in we’re nearly all driven by men. In fact of the next 30 vans I only saw 3 women driving ! Why is this?

I know some women who are nervous of the size of the van, and therefore leave it to oh. In our case I have to drive as Dave not allowed for medical reasons for the next few months. I hate driving, fall asleep easily so can't drive as far as Dave. Plus he is pretty bad at reading maps or going on the internet to sort out next stop, so it all falls on me at the moment. Sitting with a frustrated driver next to me:oops: it's not as much fun!
Did you note the age group of the male drivers? Maybe (I'll get to bomb shelter quickly now!) it could be a sexist thing... Plus a lot of older generation women don't drive at all....Having said that, I know loads of single women who drive mh and several women who share driving with partner.

I have to say that I have been surprised at the number of vans driven by females just recently,whilst parked up at Barquinha four large vans came in over a time span of two hours all lady drivers. Three of the four were driven very well I won’t comment on the forth but I did move! Perhaps femails are happier driving on the continent.

I don't drive our campervan very often either (I'm female). Mostly because I love looking at the view but I do feel a bit intimidated by it which is daft as, when I do drive I always feel fine...thing is my partner loves driving and finds all views boring unless in a city!

I (female) do all the driving. I much prefer to drive a larger vehicle, better driving position than a car. I do agree that most drivers of motorhomes are men, women should drive their motorhomes, most will be surprised that the better driving position makes it easier to drive than you may think

I know some women who are nervous of the size of the van, and therefore leave it to oh. In our case I have to drive as Dave not allowed for medical reasons for the next few months. I hate driving, fall asleep easily so can't drive as far as Dave. Plus he is pretty bad at reading maps or going on the internet to sort out next stop, so it all falls on me at the moment. Sitting with a frustrated driver next to me:oops: it's not as much fun!
Did you note the age group of the male drivers? Maybe (I'll get to bomb shelter quickly now!) it could be a sexist thing... Plus a lot of older generation women don't drive at all....Having said that, I know loads of single women who drive mh and several women who share driving with partner.
. Yep I was surprised to hear that it was the views that drew women into the passenger seat as I suspected that it might be that women are more patient ‘backseat’ drivers and/or that men don’t like navigating. Interesting to hear from both sides of the cab 🤔🙂

Our driving is shared and if anything she does the majority. Probably a better driver as well. I am unsure what happens to people's brain when they get into BMW's, Audis and white Van's but I suffer from white van man syndrome :oops:

Fortunately it dissipates in the camper probably cos I can't overtake :LOL:

Maggy is a good driver, she drove a 7.5T truck delivering in London when we worked for her Dads transport company, she had to do all the driving for 5 years after I had a serious injury but now I do most of the driving for a few reasons, I am not a good passenger and Maggy likes to look at the scenery, I cannot look at the scenery because my eyes are tightly shut while I am screaming.
We share the driving on long journeys

Ladies like a view. Men like calling every other driver a dickhead. It's a macho thing. :LOL:

Oops! I must have too much testosterone then, because I prefer to be the driver and call every other road user what you said ... 🤪😂😉

I'm a dreadful back seat driver, but I also like to be able to look at the scenery sometimes. So when I'm in the passenger seat I keep my eyes firmly on the scenery, or if not much scenery (like on the motorway) I keep my head down and play around on mobile phone so I don't have to see what's happening around me on the road. 🙃🙃🙃😴

I
On our way to Devon on a busy Sunday and we decided to count the motorhomes and campervans we saw in one mile (15). What I noticed was the vans with couples in we’re nearly all driven by men. In fact of the next 30 vans I only saw 3 women driving ! Why is this?
I drive mine all the time wether my other half is with me or not in fact it’s my motorhome he just payed for it oh and pays for the Diesel 😂😂

My most beloved is an amazingly good driver, however when we are away in 'Millie' she looks upon her time in the front passenger seat as her special time where she can totally relax and soak up the feeling that we are now well away from the vertically challenged, obnoxious, inconsiderate, bad tempered, bald headed, bearded plonker who lives next door!!

Last edited:
My most beloved is an amazingly good driver, however when we are away in 'Millie' she looks upon her time in the front passenger seat is her special time where she can totally relax and soak up the feeling that we are now well away from the vertically challenged, obnoxious, inconsiderate, bad tempered, bald headed, bearded plonker who lives next door!!
Get on with your neighbour well then. 😂😂

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back