WHITE

We learnt that white was used for reflecting heat, and black, for absorbing heat, in Physics lessons, many years ago.
A well known example, was why cricketers wore white.
As regards radiators, if you are interested, just Google " Why are radiators white", and you will see the explanation.
I did and google definitely doesn't explain it. To me it reads that any physics involved in colour reflection/absorption are so minimal that passing wind would have a greater impact on ambient temperature

The colour white doesn't clash with any colour scheme, my guess is that's why rads are traditionally white. Possibly white was also the cheapest paint colour but I will let the elders comment on the 60/70's paint cost situation :LOL:

Last edited:
Ages ago I asked the boss of the Land Rover demonstration team why they chose white Defenders - it was so they didnt show all the marks and scratches they picked up, Same with white vans I suppose...

Are you sure????
No, that was slightly wrong due to conflicting info. Another source says that there is only about 1% output difference between white and black radiators whilst chrome is 25% less efficient.

Ours is silver grey and white.....but mostly white....

Burstner 2.jpg

I think white was the colour of choice on grp for a long time as many of the darker colours “chalked” after a while. Also it was easier to have white as a base and tart it up using decals and the like. Easy to say when our van is a nice deep metallic grey..... still on trend even after all these years.

White paints always cheaper than coloured paint and if like everything else concerning motorhome builders it’s probably saving them a couple of pennies so they’ll use white.

We have a white car too! Most cars round here are white black or grey, they are the cheapest colours and the French just seem to want a car, not the latest brightest or flashest, so we fit in well.

Talking about pigs.
We often went to the aire at St Antonin Nobel Val in France and again a few times we met a Brit driving a French M/H with a French Wife. His house was in Bulgaria and he had a BIG black Pig and a BIG black Labrador with him.
The dog guarded the Pig when it was grazing and the owner had a ramp so the pig could get into the van.
He did tell me the pig was clean and the Guy himself was always clean and tidy.
Somebody took photos and this was also in MMM. The owner of the pig was not amused .
Quite a nice guy

edit
I forgot to say, they did Brocanties

The Irish pigs I mentioned were off to make sarnie fillings etc., definitely not pets! ;)😂

Wonder if your Frenchman's pig was a Vietnamese pot-bellied? They are often kept as house pets.

Many moons ago, an uncle of some (southern) Irish friends of my mother & aunt regularly used the back of his open top porsche to ferry around pigs and other farm animals. 🐷🐮🦆🐓
I bought this which was owned by a farmer and traded in where i worked, all carpets and seats had to be binned as they were thick with rear end depossits,
I was almost sick taking it home, but once sorted I got years out of it before selling for £100, cost me £300 at 3 years old with low miles.
first 100 skoda.jpg

I bought this which was owned by a farmer and traded in where i worked, all carpets and seats had to be binned as they were thick with rear end depossits,
I was almost sick taking it home, but once sorted I got years out of it before selling for £100, cost me £300 at 3 years old with low miles.View attachment 97621

Aw! I was expecting a piccie of a porsche or another sporty vehicle there, Trev.

I should have known better! :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :cool:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back