WHITE

Pedalman

Why are most motorhomes ( and caravans ) white ? Maybe if they didn't stand out like a sore thumb (different colours) they wouldn't get so much attention.

It’s the one colour that suits all, if they were only red, you’d want blue, or green, or…….
However these days there are plenty of coloured units.

I concur, Pedalman.

I guess it is the 'vanilla' or 'beige' ideology that has come about over the last 2 or 3 decades, certainly as far as 'doing up houses' for rent or sale, and this extends to other areas of life, I guess? Booooorring! 😝👎

They usually talk about colours being a 'blank canvas', so SimonM is correct in saying white is the most neutral/non-offensive colour to have for a vehicle, especially a 'big ticket' item like a motorhome?

Me, if I could afford it and/or had the energy to do it myself (neither of which applies, unfortunately) I would definitely mega-paint jobby ours as far away from white as I could get!!! :)(y)

Stragely most boats moored for months on end in estuaries are white and how many moan about them.

Why are most motorhomes ( and caravans ) white ? Maybe if they didn't stand out like a sore thumb (different colours) they wouldn't get so much attention.

Good point Pedalman, mines green & blends in nicely most of the time.
IMG_20200724_154546.jpg

My trike's green too
IMG_20210402_133923.jpg

I like green....👍🐻😉

best heat reflecting colour
Heat reflecting is okay if you are always in Spain ( other hot countries are available) Oh hang on, no they're not. ;) I take your point though.
I'd say silver was also a good heat reflecting colour. There's some nice colourful MH's camper vans on here .

Ten years ago I had a VW T4 converted and painted Ivory and metallic brown (Coffee & Cream) It was gorgeous but it kept getting the attention of thieves. So after five years I roller painted it Nato Green Matt ,never been broken into since.
Here's two pics of the same van in different livery.

Attachments

• Ivory and brown.jpg
    Ivory and brown.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 171
  • Nato Green MattJPG.JPG
    Nato Green MattJPG.JPG
    615 KB · Views: 1,022
Last edited:
i lived in a converted bus in Portugal ,i' taken out most of the windows and sheeted them over with galvanised steel sheets thinking they'd reflect the heat . in fact ,they seemed to make things worse and drew the heat in ,it was only when i'd got a couple of coats of white on that it became livable

Heat reflecting is okay if you are always in Spain ( other hot countries are available) Oh hang on, no they're not. ;) I take your point though.
I'd say silver was also a good heat reflecting colour. There's some nice colourful MH's camper vans on here .

Ten tears ago I had a VW T4 converted and painted Ivory and metallic brown (Coffee & Cream) It was gorgeous but it kept getting the attention of thieves. So after five years I roller painted it Nato Green Matt ,never been broken into since.
Here's two pics of the same van in different livery.
Looks much better in green.
Did I mention I like green....😉

Looks much better in green.
Did I mention I like green....😉
Yeah, I like it in green now, much better than Ivory . I wish I had chosen green at the start, during the conversion they did give me the choice, I could have had it done professionally .

i lived in a converted bus in Portugal ,i' taken out most of the windows and sheeted them over with galvanised steel sheets thinking they'd reflect the heat . in fact ,they seemed to make things worse and drew the heat in ,it was only when i'd got a couple of coats of white on that it became livable
I suppose the metal galvanised sheets would heat up and act like radiators. I previously thought silver would be a good reflector but now I realise that silver is a much darker colour than white. you would probably need a chromed finish to reflect better than white.

I seem to remember watching a prog on TV where a van manufacturer ( maybe it was Ford ? ) did a sales campaign to promote "the white van" on the premise that it did reflect the suns heat and therefore was cooler inside . The sales strategy worked and also saved a fortune in production costs in the paint shop.....you can have any colour as long as it's white.

In hot countries, it does help reflect the heat away. Even with white the inside can be near to 40 degree at times. No way would you want a dark colour then
metallic colours such as silver and oyster are also good and don't tend to show the dirt .
We have had both and a few white.
Our choice would be metallic oyster
How many degrees different say between white and grey ?

i was very wary of my black car ,i wish i'd tried to fry an egg on it ,i'm sure it would have cooked . but bizarrely ,all the old ladies wear black clothes and plenty of them ,and i know for sure they're no more used to the heat than i was

Yeah, I like it in green now, much better than Ivory . I wish I had chosen green at the start, during the conversion they did give me the choice, I could have had it done professionally .
Looks fine to me, diy & save a shitload of money!
I painted mine with industrial skip paint, applied with a 4ins brush then rolled over with a small foam roller to take the brush strokes out. Looks OK, & total cost of under 30quid....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back