White sands, Dunbar no more.

Not entirely related to the OP but pavement parking in Scotland is planned to be stopped completely next year, after a four year delay. Link Personally I think this will cause chaos as residents who have always done it will be forced onto roads and emergency access will be restricted.

Not entirely related to the OP but pavement parking in Scotland is planned to be stopped completely next year, after a four year delay. Link Personally I think this will cause chaos as residents who have always done it will be forced onto roads and emergency access will be restricted.
Yes that is a big problem on many back streets in old Belfast if they change the law here, but if you have ever tried to walk down them or get a buggy like annies past you have no mission.

Can’t help thinking the warden must have been a bit over zealous. As far as I am aware there is nothing illegal at all about parking in the “lay-by” in your photograph provided you are behind the double yellows.
Parked behind?? I can see lines on both sides am I missing something

Thing was we all thought the biker was a total idiot.

Surprisingly not all bikers are thugs or anarchists.

In fact, I had ridden there with a few biker mates and we were all from the local plod!

View attachment 105491

Where all the bikers related to Geordi La Forge ?

Geordi La Forge.jpg

Parked behind?? I can see lines on both sides am I missing something
I and many others thought that so long as no part of your vehicle is on the road the double yellow lines did not apply. I was parked on the grass lay bye to the left of the photo. It’s very unusual to find double yellow lines in such a rural setting. Only East Lothian would consider such draconian measures.

I checked online and found this on the AA website

Parking on the pavement has its own
potential issues, those aside, whether you want to park behind double yellow lines, the other side of them, whether there's a pavement or a grass verge, the answer is no, it's illegal.
Its an offence even to cross a pavement unless the kerb has been dropped officially.

Thing was we all thought the biker was a total idiot.

Surprisingly not all bikers are thugs or anarchists.

In fact, I had ridden there with a few biker mates and we were all from the local plod!

View attachment 105491
Been there loads of times, even wild camped over the road before they re lined it, nice to see HDs out in force (geddit) my new one (97) was very like the heritage on the right.

I and many others thought that so long as no part of your vehicle is on the road the double yellow lines did not apply. I was parked on the grass lay bye to the left of the photo. It’s very unusual to find double yellow lines in such a rural setting. Only East Lothian would consider such draconian measures.
I can see where you are coming from , I've only been that way once going to Malaig , isnt that point more of a passing point ?

I can see where you are coming from , I've only been that way once going to Malaig , isnt that point more of a passing point ?
No there are tarred and signposted passing points on the opposite side. That lay-bys used to be a poi on here, and was used by motorhomes for years. When we arrived there were 6-8 cars parked along the grass, they belonged to surfers.

No there are tarred and signposted passing points on the opposite side. That lay-bys used to be a poi on here, and was used by motorhomes for years. When we arrived there were 6-8 cars parked along the grass, they belonged to surfers.
Now I see , got the wrong idea of the spot

This morning around 9 we got a knock on the door from a friendly warden. We were parked on a laybye near white sands carpark. I and car drivers wrongly thought that as we were parked of the road, that the double yellow lines did not apply to us. This lay bye has been used for years. The warden was helpful, and very understanding of our situation. The campsite is closed, the carpark has barriers, and he stated that these measures were not due to us, but idiots in tents, travellers who were racing horses in the carpark, and Covid made things worse. He told us we could park past the double yellows so we drove about 800 yards towards the campsite and parked there. Here’s a photo of the laybye we were parked on to the left.

View attachment 105326
Hi, We have parked in the very same spot a couple of times only after being advised to park there by the car park warden down the road as our van did not fit under the barrier....I must declare we were not the only camper vans there.I do understand that the "locals" paying huge taxes and rates feel that we should not enjoy their location for free....

Hi, We have parked in the very same spot a couple of times only after being advised to park there by the car park warden down the road as our van did not fit under the barrier....I must declare we were not the only camper vans there.I do understand that the "locals" paying huge taxes and rates feel that we should not enjoy their location for free....
Sorry but I pay very large taxes were I live, and you are more than welcome to come here next to the Campsie fells and park up anytime. I don’t own my location it’s not mine or as you state theirs. I see where I live as a nice part of Scotland open to anyone who wishes to visit, and respect our environment. Also you say that we would enjoy “their” location for free. Well no doubt like yourself I have paid all of my taxes throughout my life, and I don’t feel that I am getting something for free. Also what about all of the cars parked in the carparks apart from the £3 a day parking fee, are they not enjoying white sands for “free”. Also what locals no one actually lives there.
Finally when the local campsite is closed, barriers are erected across three municipal carparks, and double yellow lines are used in a rural environment, I reckon the place is no longer worthy of a visit.

Last edited:
Quite common in France for pavement to be marked for vehicle use . In general I find parking rules more relaxed in Europe . Though I think that is , gradually , changing

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back