White sands, Dunbar no more.

Fisherman

This morning around 9 we got a knock on the door from a friendly warden. We were parked on a laybye near white sands carpark. I and car drivers wrongly thought that as we were parked of the road, that the double yellow lines did not apply to us. This lay bye has been used for years. The warden was helpful, and very understanding of our situation. The campsite is closed, the carpark has barriers, and he stated that these measures were not due to us, but idiots in tents, travellers who were racing horses in the carpark, and Covid made things worse. He told us we could park past the double yellows so we drove about 800 yards towards the campsite and parked there. Here’s a photo of the laybye we were parked on to the left.

0AD84BB1-1B09-4615-8A3C-3A5FC64D63E0.jpeg

Can’t help thinking the warden must have been a bit over zealous. As far as I am aware there is nothing illegal at all about parking in the “lay-by” in your photograph provided you are behind the double yellows.

I checked online and found this on the AA website

Parking on the pavement has its own
potential issues, those aside, whether you want to park behind double yellow lines, the other side of them, whether there's a pavement or a grass verge, the answer is no, it's illegal.

potential issues, those aside, whether you want to park behind double yellow lines, the other side of them, whether there's a pavement or a grass verge, the answer is no, it's illegal.
Not in N Ireland, only in England, here everyone parks up with 2 wheels on the pavement, if you did not nobody could get down streets.
Pavement Moira town.
pavement.png

As far as o know it’s the whole of the uk.
As for parking on pavements, technically you are not allowed to drive on a pavement
I shall remember that, over here it ok and also to cycle on which many do, much to the aggravation of mums with pushchairs & bairns

Well every day is a school day as they say - I was blissfully unaware of that. Having said that, I can’t recall any time that I have parked behind double yellows although your photo of White Sands looks quite appealing and I wouldn’t have thought twice about parking there before learning this.

Well every day is a school day as they say - I was blissfully unaware of that. Having said that, I can’t recall any time that I have parked behind double yellows although your photo of White Sands looks quite appealing and I wouldn’t have thought twice about parking there before learning this.
I was the same Tony, I even argued the point with the warden, who I have to say handled the situation very well. He acknowledged that most folk thought like you and I, and that most who park there do so in ignorance. All I will say is there is no need for this particularly in winter, we were the only Motorhome there both nights. Most of the car drivers were surfers. But they had issues after lockdown, hence the double yellow lines. He leaned something also, he though that the nearbye CCC site was opened all year round, he was surprised to find that most campsites only open for six months.

Last edited:
Looked it up, only london you cannot park on the pavement, elsewhere law is still out but may be changed.
parking uk.png

Sounds like a pretty helpful warden to me, having a chat and suggesting an alternative place to park.

There are some helpful and friendly wardens out there.
A few years ago I went to Devils Bridge on my motorcycle. This a well known biker venue and one of the car parks is reserved for solo motorcycles. This particular day it was crowded and bikes were parked all over the place including on double yellows.
Over 100 bikes I estimate.

A traffic warden arrived and announced " I'm just starting my break. So after I've had a cuppa and a bacon butty I'll start booking anyone illegally parked."

By the time he finished his butty everyone was legal, except one guy who remained parked on the doubles.

The warden went to this guy and asked him to move.
The guy told the warden to go forth and multiply!

The warden got on the radio and checked details of the bike.
He then informed the biker that since the bike had no Tax; no Insurance & no MOT it was being impounded and a tow truck was on the way. The tow truck turned up with two Police Officers and they all got a rousing cheer!

There are some helpful and friendly wardens out there.
A few years ago I went to Devils Bridge on my motorcycle. This a well known biker venue and one of the car parks is reserved for solo motorcycles. This particular day it was crowded and bikes were parked all over the place including on double yellows.
Over 100 bikes I estimate.

A traffic warden arrived and announced " I'm just starting my break. So after I've had a cuppa and a bacon butty I'll start booking anyone illegally parked."

By the time he finished his butty everyone was legal, except one guy who remained parked on the doubles.

The warden went to this guy and asked him to move.
The guy told the warden to go forth and multiply!

The warden got on the radio and checked details of the bike.
He then informed the biker that since the bike had no Tax; no Insurance & no MOT it was being impounded and a tow truck was on the way. The tow truck turned up with two Police Officers and they all got a rousing cheer!
2 officers and a truck, over here the hundred bikers would have eaten them alive, about 10 years back a biker cop tried to book some h angels in Carrick carpark, suddenly there was a splash and for some strange thing his bike ended up going for a swim in the harbour followed by him.

Sounds like a pretty helpful warden to me, having a chat and suggesting an alternative place to park. Nice that MH'ers were not being blamed for problems too.
Yes he was helpful. He was well aware that motorhomes were not creating the problems. Quite frankly this is yet another example of East Lothian behaving poorly towards us. I can see no reason why they have done this. They had issues after lockdown, but they were at least partially caused by the barriers into what is a very large carpark which would take hundreds of cars. Also surely in winter they could use some common sense. All three carparks in this area have barriers.

Last edited:
2 officers and a truck, over here the hundred bikers would have eaten them alive, about 10 years back a biker cop tried to book some h angels in Carrick carpark, suddenly there was a splash and for some strange thing his bike ended up going for a swim in the harbour followed by him.

Thing was we all thought the biker was a total idiot.

Surprisingly not all bikers are thugs or anarchists.

In fact, I had ridden there with a few biker mates and we were all from the local plod!

croppedharleypolicenoplates.jpg

Yes he was helpful. He was well aware that motorhomes were not creating the problems. Quite frankly this is yet another example of East Lothian behaving poorly towards us. I can see no reason why they have done this. They had issues after lockdown, but they were at least partially caused by the barriers into what is a very large carpark which would take hundreds of cars. Also surely in winter they could use some common sense. All three carparks in this are have barriers.
East Lothian Council have been anti motorhome for many years. That is why I got tremendous pleasure from overnighting in their Council Offices car park in Haddington. Never had a problem on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night. :ROFLMAO:

East Lothian Council have been anti motorhome for many years. That is why I got tremendous pleasure from overnighting in their Council Offices car park in Haddington. Never had a problem on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night. :ROFLMAO:
I despise them maingate. Yet look across the Firth and you have Fife council, a totally different approach from a council who are trying to be fair towards us. But sadly some idiots don’t appreciate their efforts.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back