Which small power bank is best for us?

After all my years with sidecars I would worry at all fixing stuff to the roof as it should be a decent thickness similar to a sidecar body. That’s not to say I think you should fit anything to it though. In a lot of cases fibreglass will be a lot stronger than any other type of motorhome construction.

They won’t like sliding down the roof upside down though, definitely not recommended after being in a reliant lol

They were talking about it from an aesthetic point of view, Neil, and not strength. You could hold a full blown dance party on the roof of these old monocoque auto sleepers, it ain't going anywhere! 🤣🤣🤣🕺💃👯‍♂️👯‍♀️

They're both vintage vehicle fans and wildebus is also a big fan of VWs, so like to keep certain stuff original as poss ! :rolleyes:😜

Me, I'm not quite so bothered, but tbh I can see the benefits (in our case) of a portable power bank instead.

If we can get the right size folding solar panels to charge the power bank with, there should be enough space to store them in the overhead cab (y)

It's all about existing layout and available space - is it ever about anything else?! 😂:cool:

That’s why I said I wasn’t suggesting you did fit anything to the roof lol. Me now, that’s different lol

If you are both still fit enough you can spread those folding panels on the roof when you are parked up Marie, it has roof access via a ladder doesn’t it? Out of skylight if not. Thinking more if you wild park and want to walk away from the van for a few hours. Some of the folding flexible panels I have seen have eyeholes and you could tie them in place

Fair enough. The power bank sounds good. Maybe a folding panel or something then as well. I guess it all boils down to our individual needs. If you move around a fair bit you maybe dont need a fixed solar system.

The control panel has a switch you flick on to charge the leisure battery while driving.
You can also do it in reverse and charge the engine battery from the leisure battery.
Rest of the time it's just left switched off (neutral).

This seems to be quite sufficient for our needs, as other than the water pump, toilet flush, hab lights (and maybe the TV on 12v) all the other "appliances" run on gas when off grid.

Portable power bank and solar panels just seems like the path of least resistance. And like Obanboy says, it's not all about money or how to save it, or whether I really need a hairdryer (I say probably not, but in my particular case it would make my life a helluva lot more comfortable if I did!).

Life is way too short, guys, the simplest and most practical solution is often the best (y)

Last edited:
That’s why I said I wasn’t suggesting you did fit anything to the roof lol. Me now, that’s different lol

If you are both still fit enough you can spread those folding panels on the roof when you are parked up Marie, it has roof access via a ladder doesn’t it? Out of skylight if not. Thinking more if you wild park and want to walk away from the van for a few hours. Some of the folding flexible panels I have seen have eyeholes and you could tie them in place

Yup, good idea (y)👌

The control panel has a switch you flick on to charge the leisure battery while driving.
You can also do it in reverse and charge the engine battery from the leisure battery.
Rest of the time it's just left switched off (neutral).

This seems to be quite sufficient for our needs, as other than the water pump, toilet flush, hab lights (and maybe the TV on 12v) all the other "appliances" run on gas when off grid.

Portable power bank and solar panels just seems like the path of least resistance. And like Obanboy says, it's not all about money or how to save it, or whether I really need a hairdryer (I say probably not, but in my particular case it would make my life a helluva lot more comfortable if I did!).

Life it way too short, guys, the simplest and most practical solution is often the best (y)

With you 100% on that. I loved how simple our old van was. This one however. Grrrr! :D Don't get me wrong, I love it and we had to have it but way too much electrickery stuff.

With you 100% on that. I loved how simple our old van was. This one however. Grrrr! :D Don't get me wrong, I love it and we had to have it but way too much electrickery stuff.

I'm sure you will get it all sorted to suit you eventually, Barry (y)

And you will be mega-posh too! 😜🤣🤣🤣

Besides, you need all that uninterrupted power to be able to inflict... er, blast out the Rock God music! ;):devilish:😎😂

You don't need a hairdryer Marie
download (1).jpeg

Zero! 😂

It's an original VW Autosleeper Gatcombe and I think all the appliances, electrics, control panel, fittings etc. are as they were factory installed in 2003?

They all work exactly as they should with their chosen power supply (gas, mains, 12v), so if it ain't broke, don't fix it is my mantra!

The power bank was a nice-to-have back up and yes, initially specifically for a bloody hairdryer!! :rolleyes:😂 (and it might be useful for other electrical appliances too, obviously).
That is where I would spend the money then Marie, 200w on the roof, MPPT in the wardrobe, 220ah under the sofa and a decent wattage sine wave inverter, probably less then a power box and won't need replacing .

DJI 1000 spec - like I said previously, I have a mental blackout when it comes to electrics, but it sounds as though it would be powerful enough for a hairdryer? Am I missing something? 🤔

Output Specifications​

• AC Output​

• DYM1000L: AC 100-120 V, 50/60 Hz, max continuous output: 2200 W,* max output: 2600 W (total),** peak output: 4400 W
    DYM1000H: AC 220-240 V, 50/60 Hz, max continuous output: 2200 W,* max output: 2600 W (total),** peak output: 4400 W

AC output data varies by country and region.
    Given that the voltage in Japan is 100 V, the max continuous output power of the Japanese version is 2000 W.
    * At a room temperature of 25° C (77° F), Power 1000 can stably provide a max continuous output of 2200 W until the battery runs out. Data measured in a DJI laboratory.
    ** At an output power of 2600 W, the DYM1000L prototype can sustain for 30 seconds, and the DYM1000H prototype can sustain for 60 seconds. Durations were measured when DJI Power 1000 is at approx. 25° C (77° F) and 50% battery level. Duration may vary due to differences in battery temperature and battery level. Refer to the actual usage. It is recommended to use max power output when the battery is at a moderate temperature and a relatively higher battery level. Data measured in a DJI laboratory.
  • AC Output (Bypass Mode)​

• DYM1000L: AC 100-120 V, 12 A, 1440 W
    DYM1000H: AC 220-240 V, 10 A, 2200 W

View attachment 133479
Off grid hairdrying is not an easy task because it's very power hungry. If you look closer at the figures quoted above it mentions something fishy about it's power delivery time when running at 2600W, that's a little higher than your 2200W but not a lot. It mentions both a 60 Second run time and a 30 second run time 🤔.
Personally I'd be cautious about trying to run such a high powered item like a 2.2Kw hairdryer especially if you're expecting a relatively small unit to do the job. A proper lithium install to power that hairdryer would consist of 3X100Ah batteries (minimum) and a 2.5 KW inverter. Frankly the numbers don't stack up as realistically doable in a relatively tiny unit and I think you'll be disappointed.

Get yourself a smaller wattage hairdryer Marie, 600-800w it'll take longer to dry but it'll be far less demanding on the electronics.

All power packs, banks have a invertor included.. about £1500. To run that hair dry or £30 for an electric pitch
Can't you use the night heater ? Just extra pipe lol
Extra piece if heating air tube while closing some of the other vents and pinching up the end if the pipe to increase terminal airflow speed, if needed.
Yes, use heater best and cheapest suggestion yet.
Or get a short haicut?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back