Which small power bank is best for us?

The Hair is the issue here Marie!! :D As lovely I am sure as it is either tie it back or just let it frizz!!! Hair driers off grid should be totally banned IMO! :ROFLMAO: Thankfully its not one of Michelles needs.

It was never one of mine, either. I had thick, curly hair and never needed a hairdryer. It always dried fine (and pretty quickly) on its own, winter or summer. Chemo changed that. The hair is not lovely. Even though it is now thin and straight and should, logically, dry in no time on its own, the structure has altered and the way it holds moisture is insane. Even with a hairdryer it takes a lot longer to dry than the “old” hair did (on the very rare occasion I used one).

Trust me, I’ve never been a make up or hair do person, and it annoys the hell out of me to have to use a hairdryer. I say “have to” because I’ve tried letting it dry naturally and I end up just feeling cold and shivery because it takes so long to dry, even in warm weather 😕 🤷‍♀️

Got to agree with you but since I lost my wife 11 years ago which was a month after we had planned to retire my attitude to money has changed.
If I see something I want and can afford it I buy it, as many have said there’s no pockets in a shroud. The kids will get the house so they are all sorted.
I use the EcoFlow for all sorts not just the caravan. Down the allotment, on a pheasant shoot I’m involved with, on my mates barn conversion etc etc.
When in the caravan I just leave it in the car and run my ehu cable to the caravan, works a treat and saves me £6.00 - £7.00 a night when on campsites.
Yes you have other uses which , I'm sure , makes it worthwhile for you . I don't really see the need to make big investment in van [lithium etc] but , like Marie , could use wee bit more power . Think one of the smaller ecoflow power thingys would do me .
p.s. not for hairdryer !

It was never one of mine, either. I had thick, curly hair and never needed a hairdryer. It always dried fine (and pretty quickly) on its own, winter or summer. Chemo changed that. The hair is not lovely. Even though it is now thin and straight and should, logically, dry in no time on its own, the structure has altered and the way it holds moisture is insane. Even with a hairdryer it takes a lot longer to dry than the “old” hair did (on the very rare occasion I used one).

Trust me, I’ve never been a make up or hair do person, and it annoys the hell out of me to have to use a hairdryer. I say “have to” because I’ve tried letting it dry naturally and I end up just feeling cold and shivery because it takes so long to dry, even in warm weather 😕 🤷‍♀️

Ah I see! That will teach me to be a clever sod! :D I did think when I read you wanted a hair dryer it was a bit odd. Sorry.

What solar etc do you have Marie?

Zero! 😂

It's an original VW Autosleeper Gatcombe and I think all the appliances, electrics, control panel, fittings etc. are as they were factory installed in 2003?

They all work exactly as they should with their chosen power supply (gas, mains, 12v), so if it ain't broke, don't fix it is my mantra!

The power bank was a nice-to-have back up and yes, initially specifically for a bloody hairdryer!! :rolleyes:😂 (and it might be useful for other electrical appliances too, obviously).

Last edited:
Just been checking the growing thread for @barryd's "Hank the Tanks Dodgy battery and solar system".

Reckon it gives me justification for just wanting something simple, portable and totally and separate from the base van!!! 😲🥴🤪😵‍💫 :ROFLMAO:

Definitely keep it simple but a simple solar system on your van should be a doddle. Even if you just went for a 120 panel and half decent MPPT controller if you or your other half is handy it should be easy to fit for a couple of hundred quid. It will make a massive difference. No hairdryers though sadly.

Just been checking the growing thread for @barryd's "Hank the Tanks Dodgy battery and solar system".

Reckon it gives me justification for just wanting something simple, portable and totally and separate from the base van!!! 😲🥴🤪😵‍💫 :ROFLMAO:

I think you are right. Everything is working as it was designed to in your van, why mess with it.

A power bank you can take away fully charged from home is a great solution I would say.

Never looked into the power banks much. Can you charge them when driving?

You need I think the 2600w version MArie to be sure of the hairdryer working.

DJI 1000 spec - like I said previously, I have a mental blackout when it comes to electrics, but it sounds as though it would be powerful enough for a hairdryer? Am I missing something? 🤔

Output Specifications​

• AC Output​

• DYM1000L: AC 100-120 V, 50/60 Hz, max continuous output: 2200 W,* max output: 2600 W (total),** peak output: 4400 W
    DYM1000H: AC 220-240 V, 50/60 Hz, max continuous output: 2200 W,* max output: 2600 W (total),** peak output: 4400 W

AC output data varies by country and region.
    Given that the voltage in Japan is 100 V, the max continuous output power of the Japanese version is 2000 W.
    * At a room temperature of 25° C (77° F), Power 1000 can stably provide a max continuous output of 2200 W until the battery runs out. Data measured in a DJI laboratory.
    ** At an output power of 2600 W, the DYM1000L prototype can sustain for 30 seconds, and the DYM1000H prototype can sustain for 60 seconds. Durations were measured when DJI Power 1000 is at approx. 25° C (77° F) and 50% battery level. Duration may vary due to differences in battery temperature and battery level. Refer to the actual usage. It is recommended to use max power output when the battery is at a moderate temperature and a relatively higher battery level. Data measured in a DJI laboratory.
  • AC Output (Bypass Mode)​

• DYM1000L: AC 100-120 V, 12 A, 1440 W
    DYM1000H: AC 220-240 V, 10 A, 2200 W

Hairdryer highlight.jpg

I think you are right. Everything is working as it was designed to in your van, why mess with it.

A power bank you can take away fully charged from home is a great solution I would say.

Never looked into the power banks much. Can you charge them when driving?

Good point, Mark! 👍

Not sure, but worth finding out...

(Wildebus said exactly the same about messing with the van, btw)

Definitely keep it simple but a simple solar system on your van should be a doddle. Even if you just went for a 120 panel and half decent MPPT controller if you or your other half is handy it should be easy to fit for a couple of hundred quid. It will make a massive difference. No hairdryers though sadly.

In which case, no point going through all the hassle as that was the single most important requirement - seriously! :ROFLMAO::cool:

Charging the leisure battery is easy peasy with the existing system 👍

I had also wondered whether you could use a portable power bank (with folding solar panels) as an actual EHU for the van if necessary? 🤔 🤷‍♀️

Going of what’s printed on both it should just do it Marie. I suppose it’s down to if the hairdryer runs constantly at 2200W and how long the power bank will be happy at 2200W. To my thinking it should do it but these things don’t always tell the truth, I have been caught with being close so wary now.

Message Phil

i’ve recently fitted 200W of solar to my van the panels were renogy 100W compact 42”x 21” in old money so a mtr by 1/2 mtr they cost £139 the pair, i ordered all the fitments online with amazon prime delivered next day controllers mounts wires etc totalled £160 so just short of £300 , i fitted bonded the panels in half a day & jeff connected it all together

i’ve recently fitted 200W of solar to my van the panels were renogy 100W compact 42”x 21” in old money so a mtr by 1/2 mtr they cost £139 the pair, i ordered all the fitments online with amazon prime delivered next day controllers mounts wires etc totalled £160 so just short of £300 , i fitted bonded the panels in half a day & jeff connected it all together

Been advised by @wildebus and Rae @Ram Jam not to stick anything directly onto the roof, and I agree 100%.

Could fix something to the chrome roof storage racks these vans were all fitted with (again, talked about this with wildebus and Phil), but it's not just about the solar panels, it's about connecting into the original electrical system which would be messy - and where to affix new stuff without ripping the interior apart etc.

The answer always came back to a portable power bank solution, whichever way we looked at it 🤷‍♀️

I've messaged Phil just now to ask if he thinks the DJI Power 1000 will do the job

If it does, that would be excellent. It's small and compact and would slot just fine under one of the bench seats (I measured the spot!) (y) 🤞

After all my years with sidecars I would worry at all fixing stuff to the roof as it should be a decent thickness similar to a sidecar body. That’s not to say I think you should fit anything to it though. In a lot of cases fibreglass will be a lot stronger than any other type of motorhome construction.

They won’t like sliding down the roof upside down though, definitely not recommended after being in a reliant lol

In which case, no point going through all the hassle as that was the single most important requirement - seriously! :ROFLMAO::cool:

Charging the leisure battery is easy peasy with the existing system 👍

I had also wondered whether you could use a portable power bank (with folding solar panels) as an actual EHU for the van if necessary? 🤔 🤷‍♀️

Fair enough. The power bank sounds good. Maybe a folding panel or something then as well. I guess it all boils down to our individual needs. If you move around a fair bit you maybe dont need a fixed solar system.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back