Which small power bank is best for us?

mariesnowgoose

I know there are loads of threads about this, but ...

Phil (Admin) up in Orkney suggested a powerbank would be a good solution for us, also David (Wildebus) has suggested the same when he replaced our leisure battery a couple of months back..

A power bank would be the best and easiest solution for our old auto sleeper rather than mucking about with altering the original electrics and going all lithium etc. 😂 🤪

The fridge is the standard 3 way and works perfectly on gas when off grid (12v when driving or 240v when on hookup).
The cooker is 100% gas.
Heater and water heater both run off gas or 240 mains.

The only 240v electrical items I would really like to be able to use when off-grid is a hair dryer and a small hand held electric blender/whisk. There's a TV Neil bought recently which runs off 12v (or mains when on hookup).

There's our phones and iPads etc. (which we've never had a problem with just charging via adaptors using the ciggie socket in the cab).

The main issue was where to store a power bank? The only sensible place is beneath the bench seats, space is restricted, so physical size is the biggest issue. With that in mind I came across this one which appears to be highly recommended. Seems to be mainly used by drone users/you tubers, but is there any reason why it wouldn't do the job for us too?

DJI Power 500

d945995802d5bc53dfbe1149244a9681@ultra.jpg

Dimensions are 305×207×177 mm (L×W×H) so would fit fine under our "toolkit" bench and still leave plenty of room for all the other junk(!) we also store there.

Any thoughts/suggestions? For the sake of being able to occasionally use a 2 or 3 small electrical appliances I don't want to be spending mega-bucks. Also wondered if portable solar panels have to be their own brand, or whether we can get different (i.e. cheaper!) panels that would do the job just as well? The panels should easily store in the cupboard above the cab when not in use.

I'd save the £500 and buy a decent inverter to cope with the hairdryer, (the whisk won't use much or for long and I use a hand whisk at home so do you need a blender? or just a sharp knife) assuming you have solar and a decent battery bank, TV is 12v so again no need spend the money on having the power elsewhere.

There’s you answer Marie, the powerbank you listed won’t run your hairdryer, you need to find one with 2200W continuous output or above. Won’t be cheap.

Maybe look for a lower powered hair dryer?

You'd need a big inverter too for that one cock.

Liz had one years ago (12v), it did work but you needed to be Arnold Blackndecker to hold it up that long :D :D :D

She just does a dog impression now which works quite well.

I'd save the £500 and buy a decent inverter to cope with the hairdryer, (the whisk won't use much or for long and I use a hand whisk at home so do you need a blender? or just a sharp knife) assuming you have solar and a decent battery bank, TV is 12v so again no need spend the money on having the power elsewhere.

I don't understand electrickery much and definitely not inverters!

There seems to be a whole range in terms of sizes and prices, and how do you connect it into the existing electrical system in the van? 🤔

I'm going with the advice of Phil and David, both of whose knowledge I trust.

If I need a bigger power bank in terms of volts/wattage (whatever!) that's fair enough, but the physical dimensions of the thing are what ultimately restricts the choice. A brief google around and I can't find many that are small enough and powerful enough at the same time, unless someone knows otherwise?

You only need to know how many watts you need to run which is always on the things, and get an inverter to suit it, but of course the inverter needs to get power from the LBs so you need to have at least two 110ah batteries, more if you have a lot of hair that takes ages to dry and if WCing you need plenty of solar to charge them, it's a viscous circle.

Or get EHU for the days you need the hair dryer.

1721818614842.png

All power packs, banks have a invertor included.. about £1500. To run that hair dry or £30 for an electric pitch
Can't you use the night heater ? Just extra pipe lol

I went down the EcoFlow power station route when I recently went over to the dark side and bought a caravan until I can decide which motorhome to buy. Already had a small EcoFlow river pro which I used to run the tv when I had the motorhome so went for a Delta 2 max and extra battery.
Decided against solar panels, and extra batteries for the reason above and I can just use the EcoFlows in the motorhome when I get one.
Have had 64 days away this year and only had ehu for 3 days which was to recharge the power stations. I have just acquired 2 x 200 watt portable solar panels from a friend cheap which will negate having to use ehu.
I bought these units below, not cheap but I can run anything including the microwave and I have used them when helping a friend working on his barn conversion which has no mains electric.

I went down the EcoFlow power station route when I recently went over to the dark side and bought a caravan until I can decide which motorhome to buy. Already had a small EcoFlow river pro which I used to run the tv when I had the motorhome so went for a Delta 2 max and extra battery.
Decided against solar panels, and extra batteries for the reason above and I can just use the EcoFlows in the motorhome when I get one.
Have had 64 days away this year and only had ehu for 3 days which was to recharge the power stations. I have just acquired 2 x 200 watt portable solar panels from a friend cheap which will negate having to use ehu.
I bought these units below, not cheap but I can run anything including the microwave and I have used them when helping a friend working on his barn conversion which has no mains electric.
Fekk that's a dear one !
For my use I was looking at ecoflow around £600 ?

It all the other bits that add up .so spend it on van and that then becomes mobile power bank .

Fekk that's a dear one !
For my use I was looking at ecoflow around £600 ?
Got to agree with you but since I lost my wife 11 years ago which was a month after we had planned to retire my attitude to money has changed.
If I see something I want and can afford it I buy it, as many have said there’s no pockets in a shroud. The kids will get the house so they are all sorted.
I use the EcoFlow for all sorts not just the caravan. Down the allotment, on a pheasant shoot I’m involved with, on my mates barn conversion etc etc.
When in the caravan I just leave it in the car and run my ehu cable to the caravan, works a treat and saves me £6.00 - £7.00 a night when on campsites.

It all the other bits that add up .so spend it on van and that then becomes mobile power bank .

It's an old van, so there'll always be a risk spending a fortune on electrical upgrades?

At least with a power bank it doesn't become an integral or fixed part of the van as it is portable?

We're not Tech Bro billionaires - far from it! - and have to be fairly careful about what we spend and where... 🤪 😂 😂 😂

Last edited:
Yep I've got scissors if needed. Just keep the lights on was a thing my mum and dad did.
20240724_223153.jpg
20240724_223230.jpg
50p meter at home for electric. No ! never again.

My solution for my 24 volt kettle in lorry is as pictured . If the lorry broke I'd leave all behind.any thing is better than nothing. But ! the van, I'd push it home.

28 amps out of scrapyard, £ 10.00 plus box there just alarm batteries. And lorry changes them. Had them since Christmas. No not a present. Lol
but will run em back in.

Lithium is like Trump . its the future. Lol

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back