Where has all the Calor Gas gone?

If they've got a small one then they may well swap it just depends on the outlet.
I suppose if the world stopped and Calor did a stock reconciliation with them they might have the wrong mix of bottles but is that likely?

If they've got a small one then they may well swap it just depends on the outlet.
I suppose if the world stopped and Calor did a stock reconciliation with them they might have the wrong mix of bottles but is that likely?
Just back from one of the local Calor Stockists. They said the swaps are within the same groups (as per the Calor website info), then looked at the prices and said "well, same rental price so can't see why not" and gave (well, sold me) the 6Kg refill and took the 13Kg back. Job Done.
I also went to a local flo-gas stockist and got a 6kg Bottle while I was out. Happened to be £2 cheaper (£23 vs £25) and that chap didn't mind I didn't have a bottle to swap over - just asked me to bring it back when empty.
(I think they operate with a different mindset in the Borders compared to a lot of the 'cut and thrust', distrust and negativity that infects a lot of the Country)

As you've got a refillable bottle with a bit of luck you'll never have to go back and pay £2 per litre for your gas!
To save potential fumbling in the dark and wet if my refillable runs out I have got my standby bottle plumbed into a tee before the regulator so all I have to do is turn it on.
Still might be worth considering as a retrofit?

As you've got a refillable bottle with a bit of luck you'll never have to go back and pay £2 per litre for your gas!
To save potential fumbling in the dark and wet if my refillable runs out I have got my standby bottle plumbed into a tee before the regulator so all I have to do is turn it on.
Still might be worth considering as a retrofit?
I think I have the pipework to do that in fact, so might do :) but in one way I like the idea of it being separate as I do like to avoid single points of [potential] failure
I may have a refillable bottle, but I don't have a means to refill it! (will have this afternoon though when DPD arrives ;) )

Last edited:
FWIW this is my layout

20200923_113611.jpg

I have refill point outside in the aluminium 'skirt'

The Tee is a bit fancy as it has 2 Male and 1 female.

We finally found a garage in Brecon that had some 6kg bottles, so I handed over the empty 3.9 and the partially full 3.9 in exchange. That should keep us going until we get home next week.

FWIW this is my layout
I have refill point outside in the aluminium 'skirt'

The Tee is a bit fancy as it has 2 Male and 1 female.
I was going to fit the Filler Point in the door in fact. But after looking in more detail at the locker and surrounding parts, I may well fit to one side instead. (not least because I would have to drill through the "LPG" sign on the door and I know that would bug me forever more (touch of the OCDs I think))

I also went to a local flo-gas stockist and got a 6kg Bottle while I was out. Happened to be £2 cheaper (£23 vs £25)
Ouch! £23 for 6kg of LPG? That's almost £4 per kilo. 28p per KWh.

I last filled up at Asda, where it is £1.05 per kg, and I though it was a shame I wasn't passing Birmingham where it's available for about 80p per kg if you know where to go.

Ouch! £23 for 6kg of LPG? That's almost £4 per kilo. 28p per KWh.

I last filled up at Asda, where it is £1.05 per kg, and I though it was a shame I wasn't passing Birmingham where it's available for about 80p per kg if you know where to go.
will they fill a Flo-gas or Calor gas bottle there at that rate? If so, great. If not, pointless reply.

No, you can fill your own refillable bottle there. That's why you should get one. You'd not use batteries that have to be sent back to be recharged...

No, you can fill your own refillable bottle there. That's why you should get one. You'd not use batteries that have to be sent back to be recharged...
That is why is was a pointless reply for anyone to choses to for whatever reason use exchangable gas bottles rather than refillables.

Also, most people also use far more batteries that cannot be recharged than those that can be :) (usually in AA and AAA size)

will they fill a Flo-gas or Calor gas bottle there at that rate? If so, great. If not, pointless reply.
No reputable station will refill or allow to be refilled an exchange bottle - however one does see-hear of people doing so at unmanned places.
A decidedly risky business that is of course illegal.

No reputable station will refill or allow to be refilled an exchange bottle - however one does see-hear of people doing so at unmanned places.
A decidedly risky business that is of course illegal.
I do actually realise that ;) it was a deliberately silly question in response to an irrelvant post :)

Just bought a 6kg Calor at our village shop £22.99. I exchanged a Calor lite & she ran after me worried about the price difference. I said I didn't mind.
I could only see one more in the cage. Now our gas leak is fixed should last a while!

AIUI, many filling stations won't allow refilling of portable containers, legally refillable or otherwise, and it would take a long time for those who have 'legacy' Calor, Flogas etc. cylinders to recoup of the cost of a fixed refillable system. For example, I have two Calor cylinders that have an 'exchange chain' going back to 2 small butane cylinders I bought in the mid-1980s. A Gaslite system to replace that would cost of the order of £300. Now, I use two cylinders on average a year at £25 a cylinder. 6 kg of propane is roughly 12 litres, which at 64p/l costs £7.68, so the difference per cylinder is £17.32. It would thus take about eight and a half years to recover the cost of installing a fixed refillable system, which is probably longer than I'll own the van and thus I wouldn't fully recoup the cost and a refillable system would actually work out more expensive. Add the reducing number of autogas stations to that and refillables don't make sense for me. However, I accept that it's different for someone starting out from fresh and that YMMV.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back