Where has all the Calor Gas gone?

Ref Calor Gas ... if you want to swap empty for full, does it usually have to be like-for-like? or can they be different sizes?
I have a 13Kg empty bottle but I would like a 6kg (7.5kg?) bottle in its place.

They do have groups of bottles the will swap between, there are 5 gas bottle groups.

They do have groups of bottles the will swap between, there are 5 gas bottle groups.

Bit confused ... are those Refill prices? or the bottle price and then you pay a gas charge on top? or just a "new" Full Bottle with no exchange? (seem odd that a 3.9Kg Bottle and a 13Kg bottle are the same price?)

Last edited:
Bit confused ... are those Refill prices? or the bottle price and then you pay a gas charge on top? (seem odd that a 3.9Kg Bottle and a 13Kg bottle are the same price?)

Think its the 'bounty' on unwanted bottles....

The deposit you pay when you take out a rental agreement is subject to all sorts of paperwork if you want it returned....

However every now and again calor try to get unused/found bottles back by offering a paltry amount.

all very confusing. £39 for 7.5kg (so 15L?) of gas is £2.60/Litre. That's around 5 x the cost to refill the same size bottle?
I was going to keep one smaller calor gas bottle as a backup, but in two minds on that one now!

all very confusing. £39 for 7.5kg (so 15L?) of gas is £2.60/Litre. That's around 5 x the cost to refill the same size bottle?
I was going to keep one smaller calor gas bottle as a backup, but in two minds on that one now!

It's pretty much legalised robbery..... As does the deposit charged IMHO...

Never been so happy to rid the 2 calor 6kgs and swap for gas safe ones.

Screenshot_20200922-184951_Photobucket.jpg

I've also added 2 x Mopeka Bluetooth bottle monitors.

£39 is the hire charge for a new bottle in the Calor small bottle range, a 6kg propane refill is around £25 ...

Bit confused ... are those Refill prices? or the bottle price and then you pay a gas charge on top? or just a "new" Full Bottle with no exchange? (seem odd that a 3.9Kg Bottle and a 13Kg bottle are the same price?)

That's the deposit if you don't have an exchange bottle

£39 is the hire charge for a new bottle in the Calor small bottle range, a 6kg propane refill is around £25 ...
so £39 does include a new FULL bottle? or is it £39 for the bottle and then £25 on top for a fill?

And I can get £7.50 back for just returning a 13Kg bottle as I have no hire agreement?

And if I return the new 6kg bottle that I paid £39 for within a year I will get 70% of that cost back?

(Sorry for seeming so thick. I have only used Calor Gas once before for a portable room heater back in 1984 and no recollection if I ever changed the bottle)

I wonder whether this is something to do with the reduction in demand for other petroleum fuels. Until recently, the roads carried very little traffic other than delivery vehicles and the demand for petrol, diesel, etc. plummeted. I suspect that propane and butane are almost by-products of crude oil cracking and reduced production of road fuels means reduced production of those gasses -- the majority of which is probably required for industry and home heating, leaving little for refilling cylinders. This is a bit like the reduced production of beer meaning less yeast from which to make Marmite (which I haven't been able to buy for months!)
Thank heavens. :( 😂

I was very brave this morning and went shopping in TWO supermarkets because the range of products seem to have gone down. Where as I could normally find everything in Lidl's I had to go to Morrisons to buy the wife's Marigolds and my pies. I had to go myself because something bit her on the nose yesterday and she won't be seen out with a large, red, throbbing hooter.🤐
Dont tell us its got teeth,the spider you naughty thinking lot.

so £39 does include a new FULL bottle? or is it £39 for the bottle and then £25 on top for a fill?

And I can get £7.50 back for just returning a 13Kg bottle as I have no hire agreement?

And if I return the new 6kg bottle that I paid £39 for within a year I will get 70% of that cost back?

(Sorry for seeming so thick. I have only used Calor Gas once before for a portable room heater back in 1984 and no recollection if I ever changed the bottle)

It was just the deposit, some will swap any bottle but that's their rules

However every now and again calor try to get unused/found bottles back by offering a paltry amount
@wildebus
You can always get £7.50 per bottle at Calor Centres without showing rental agreement.
When I realised that a couple of bottles I've had for decades from defunct companies had been taken over by Calor I took them in and got the money. No probs - but you do need to be passing for such small beer.

@wildebus
You can always get £7.50 per bottle at Calor Centres without showing rental agreement.
When I realised that a couple of bottles I've had for decades from defunct companies had been taken over by Calor I took them in and got the money. No probs - but you do need to be passing for such small beer.
I've seen lots of listing on eBay for calor bottles with around £15 or £20 asked. Guess it makes sense to buy one of those to save the £40 rental cost if you have no bottleand want gas from what I have gleaned in this thread? maybe that is a better way to get a bit of extra money for them?
Going to nip into a couple of places tomorrow and see if I can get a swap to the smaller one using the big bottle (worth a shot :) )

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back